The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin 000-18GE vs CEO-7 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332832)

se7ent7 03-10-2014 03:19 AM

Martin 000-18GE vs CEO-7

Has anyone played both?

I would really value your input on differences in sound, richness, feel and vibe

I'm considering one of these primarily for Keb Mo style, bare fingered thumping alternate bass country blues. Also some country and modern fingerpicking and strumming.

I realize Gibson L-00 style guitars are what I should be looking for, but I find many of the reissues lacking in tone and often prefer the richness and authority of the vintage Martin tone (vintage spec'd OMs and 000s)

From what I've read the CEO-7 is a good option for me, but I've heard so many great things about the 000-18GE.. If it is significantly louder, more responsive and has the bass thump I need, it could be the one, and it's probably a bit more versatile?

(Another option is a OM-28V or Marquis, I see-saw between Mahogany and Rosewood :)

Unfortunately I can't test these guitars in my country, they aren't in stock here anywhere.

jklotz 03-10-2014 04:50 AM

I played a CEO7 the other day. It's voiced differently from the other Martin 000's I played. To my ears, it had a tad of that Gibson blues box kind of sound to it. I don't really know how to describe it, but to my ears, it sounded exactly like what you described you were looking for.

I've never played a Martin 000 that I didn't like, however, I think you'd find the CEO7 to be great for that country blues thing. Didn't hurt that it is somewhat reasonably priced (for a Martin).

se7ent7 03-10-2014 05:20 AM

Thanks Jklotz!

I can't say the same about 000s though - I've never found a 000-28 Clapton that I've liked, and that included one of the 461 limited madagascar rosewood ones. OM-28s I do like as well as most 000-18s I've played.

I agree on paper the CEO-7 is probably what I'm looking for, but I guess I'm asking if the much revered 000-18GE is that much better that it's worth getting one?

Aaron Smith 03-10-2014 05:48 AM

I own a 000-18GE custom, and I recently played a CEO7. Both great guitars... honestly, without directly A/B comparing them, I'm not sure which one I liked better. I recall that the CEO7 was pretty lightly built and did great with fingerpicking, but I didn't like it much with a flat pick. My 000-18GE is a great all-arounder, and stands up well to some pretty heavy playing as well as gentle fingerpicking.

Either way, you can't really go wrong...

jklotz 03-10-2014 05:59 AM

For those interested in the CEO7, I found that this video sounds fairly accurate to what I heard when I played it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jo1maW8Wb0

Problem with sound on those videos is there are so many variables, from mike choice and placement, preamp, processing, compression, etc etc, down to the speakers you play it back on. So you don't really know if the sound represents what the guitar actually sounds like until you play it then listen to the vid, which is kind of pointless.

That being said, the above video sounds a lot like what I heard when I played the guitar.

Hope this helps

Treenewt 03-10-2014 07:18 AM

I'd post this on the UMGF. Might have more folks who have played both over there and can give you some more input.

Haven't played the CEO-7 but have absolutely fell in love with an 000-18GE. I think it would do anything, but it didn't scream blues box to me. It screamed amazing acoustic period!

weisser 03-10-2014 09:03 AM

CEO-7 vs. 000-18GE

Quote:

Originally Posted by se7ent7 (Post 3858513)
Has anyone played both?

I would really value your input on differences in sound, richness, feel and vibe

I'm considering one of these primarily for Keb Mo style, bare fingered thumping alternate bass country blues. Also some country and modern fingerpicking and strumming.

I realize Gibson L-00 style guitars are what I should be looking for, but I find many of the reissues lacking in tone and often prefer the richness and authority of the vintage Martin tone (vintage spec'd OMs and 000s)

From what I've read the CEO-7 is a good option for me, but I've heard so many great things about the 000-18GE.. If it is significantly louder, more responsive and has the bass thump I need, it could be the one, and it's probably a bit more versatile?

(Another option is a OM-28V or Marquis, I see-saw between Mahogany and Rosewood :)

Unfortunately I can't test these guitars in my country, they aren't in stock here anywhere.

I've owned a CE0-7 for three months and have had the opportunity to play several 000-18 GE's in the past. Both of these guitars would, IMO, amply fulfill your needs. When factoring in the price, the CEO-7 is the clear winner. Perhaps the 000 would have a little more bass...not enough to make a big difference. If you go over to the "UMGF" you're going to see pages of praise for this instrument. If you can get your hands on one, you'll never regret it.

BobbyBadd 03-10-2014 09:16 AM

I own a 000-18 GE, and have been GASing for the CEO-7. Wondering if I'm just looking at approximately the same sound. ?

I do think I like the smaller body and the looks of it are excellent!

Looks like maybe a want more than a need. Thoughts?

lamboy1 03-10-2014 10:50 AM

as a matter of fact.............................

I have. I own both as shown below. can't go wrong but if you are into
keb mo vibe (and I have seen twice live) then the CEO-7 would
probably suit you fine. I was at a Rolly Brown guitar seminar a couple
of months ago and a woman showed up with a Gibby L-00 and it was
scary good. the 7 does not sound like a gibby it still sounds like a Martin.
but the 000-18 GE is a great guitar and it can do it "ALL" of course these are
my opinions and nothing more;). but if a gun was put to my head and told to
choose "I" would take the 000-18GE

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps8eb382cf.jpg

duaneallen 03-10-2014 11:01 AM

Wow, that video sounds great! That guitar is killer. I hope that this guitar gets added to the permanent line.

Guest 429 03-10-2014 11:06 AM

A vote for the 000-18GE. Simply a great all around guitar and my favorite GE. The "blues box" is in you the player.

lamboy1 03-10-2014 11:10 AM

The "blues box" is in you the player.[/QUOTE]

yea what he said;)

bald melon 03-10-2014 11:13 AM

The brand new re-designed Martin 00-18 w/ 1/34" neck, 1/4" bracing and 2 3/16" string spacing at the bridges looks like a great option to me!.....and it lists for $100.00 less than the CEO7.

http://www.martinguitar.com/new/item/3524-000-18.html

Gary

MHC 03-10-2014 11:47 AM

I own the CEO-7 and, like you, had the 000-18GE on my short list so I played it quite a bit. I chose the CEO-7 because I liked the solid yet supple bass tones and the ringing trebles. Not that the 000-18GE didn't have these, but to my ear there was something a tad brittle about the high end (tho could have been a string thing). The CEO-7 is every bit as responsive to finger style playing and the Adi top more than holds its own with strumming. I also just loved the look and feel of the CEO-7. It's a sexy thing. The lower price did not hurt either - but it wasn't the deciding factor.

In the end I got the CEO-7 and simply adore this guitar. It's versatile, comfortable, and super fun to play, and I will not likely ever let it go -- but something deep inside still kinda wants that 000-18GE too. Total envy for Lamboy1 ;)

So... no bad choices on this one.

JP McD 03-10-2014 11:58 AM

I wouldn't overlook the Gibsons. I have an 000-18GE that I really enjoy and was looking for a CEO-7, but couldn't find one. I did find an LG-2 Americana and it is really terrific. Of course it sounds like a really good Gibson and the 000-18GE sounds like a really good Martin. I like the Martin a little better for the country blues stuff, and the LG-2 is a great all around strummer. My favorite for the music you described is my 0-17 -- it's tiny tone machine. I guess I'm rambling here, so to summarize:

- 000-18GE is a great guitar, and handles country blues really well
- Gibson LG-2 Americana is a great guitar with some amzing growl to it, handles strumming exceptionally well. And you can find one to try before you buy.
- CE0-7 has great reviews, but you'll have trouble getting hold of one without just ordering it. You can't really try it out first (at least in California).
- A 1942 0-17 is hard to beat.