The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   "the tree", availability? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389813)

folkepudas 06-07-2015 11:00 AM

"the tree", availability?

Hi,
I just keep seeing these fantastic builds with "the tree" poping up. Is sets from the tree still available to purchase? If so where and how much would a set approximayely cost?

Best regards,
Folkepudas

Marcus Wong 06-07-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folkepudas (Post 4522201)
Hi,
I just keep seeing these fantastic builds with "the tree" poping up. Is sets from the tree still available to purchase? If so where and how much would a set approximayely cost?

Best regards,
Folkepudas

Simply look up Jay Howlett aka BBWW on the forum! He will definitely pop by to say when he sees this thread ;)

The cost varies A LOT depending on the figure. I shall let Jay or someone else enlighten you on that :)

M Sarad 06-07-2015 11:44 AM

Here's Richard Hoover's reply:

The Tree was first cut mid last century. It is of unparalleled beauty and singularity as Mahogany goes.
We had the chance to buy at $10 per board foot when it first hit the U.S. in the very early '80's.
I watched it go to $40 then $90 before we gave in and bought it. It has grown legendary through its
documentation of use in some of the finest woodwork in the world. The original stuff has changed hands
*multiple times, further adding to its current value and desirability. Its not without its pretenders so
if one was to consider it; a chain of custody or documentation that it was purchased from the original
importers is wise. I have seen the price for a guitar set go from $50 to $450 to $2,000 in its first 20 years
of availability, to its market price today of between $4,500 and $6,000.
Yes we have it and it is the best to be found. An SCGC made from it is accompanied by a copy of the
Fine woodworking Magazine that introduced it with a letter from the original owner verifying the woods
authenticity. We don't promote it because it is very tricky to work and our cost to acquire and process
it makes for a slim return on investment.

CoolerKing 06-07-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by folkepudas (Post 4522201)
Hi,

Best regards,
Folkepudas

There were some killer sets available in Memphis, but I was afraid to ask the price :/

BBWW 06-07-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewpartrick (Post 4522304)
There were some killer sets available in Memphis, but I was afraid to ask the price :/

Cheaper there than most of the time!

I'm a sponsor here and I do have a supply right now. Lot's of talk about something happening with someone, somewhere that could make that change but for now some of best available in years is in my hands.

Jay

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...svspwvmnn.jpeg

Greg Rappleye 06-07-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewpartrick (Post 4522304)

Great lines for a song:

There were some killer sets in Memphis,
But I was afraid to ask the price.

Hmmmmm...

I saw a red Caddy in Memphis,
But I forgot to ask the price.
Now I'm bound for Texas.
Is a Cadillac worth your life?

:)

Greg Rappleye

Hmmmmmm...

Got a gun and I'm bound for Texas.
Is a Cadillac worth your life?

TomB'sox 06-07-2015 04:01 PM

What took you so long,,,,fifth post, I thought sooner for sure ;)..

That is an absolutely beautiful figure on that set, WOW!

To the original poster....BBWW is probably, the number one most knowledgeable person around regarding "The Tree"....if he can't answer your questions, it is unlikely anyone can.

CoolerKing 06-07-2015 09:18 PM

Jay, what others have been referring to as tortoiseshell looks like veins to me. I'm probably not the only person to say that is my favorite "Tree" look.

Joel Teel 06-07-2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBWW (Post 4522466)
Cheaper there than most of the time!

I'm a sponsor here and I do have a supply right now. Lot's of talk about something happening with someone, somewhere that could make that change but for now some of best available in years is in my hands.

Jay

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...svspwvmnn.jpeg

Hey Jay...

Have you ever played a Paul Woolson guitar?

KevinLPederson 06-07-2015 10:01 PM

I got to touch and feel this wood today and i can vouch for what others say about this wood. Very very nice stuff. Ive got my set picked out :)

BBWW 06-08-2015 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinLPederson (Post 4522798)
I got to touch and feel this wood today and i can vouch for what others say about this wood. Very very nice stuff. Ive got my set picked out :)

All packed up and on its way back to California with a card on it.

This wood has all the joys and sticker shock of Brazilian Rosewood. It isn't Brazilian, but it leans closer to that than it does Honduran Mahogany.

I got stopped more than a dozen times carrying it around and NOT by security.

Billy Boy 06-08-2015 12:07 PM

It's dangerous to be around Jay when he has some of The Tree stock on hand...believe me, I know! :D

BBWW 06-08-2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wood Knot (Post 4522766)
Hey Jay...

Have you ever played a Paul Woolson guitar?

Paul's sinker project is mine again. So yes and I have one. :-)

theEdwinson 06-08-2015 11:22 PM

Congratulations on the Paul Woolson, Jay. Isn't it amazing how, what is yours will come to you, if you let it! Sometimes the sequence of events is just perfect.
It's kismet.