The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Your opinions on a new song I recorded? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103464)

the vault 06-25-2007 09:53 AM

Your opinions on a new song I recorded?

Hi guys. Thanks for dropping by. I did a rough mix of a new song I recorded and was curious of your opinions/critiques.

IMO, the reverb is on the heavy side, and the guitars need some tweaking.. but as mentioned, it's the "1st rough mix."

Anyhow, here's the song, it's called BEAUTIFUL SILENCE: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5489145

Bern 06-25-2007 10:00 AM

I love the song ! The intro got me interested immediatly.
The only comment I have is that the vocals are a little pitchy in some spots. But, as you have said, it's rough cut.
Can't wait to hear it when it's finished.

the vault 06-25-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bern (Post 1209985)
I love the song ! The intro got me interested immediatly.
The only comment I have is that the vocals are a little pitchy in some spots. But, as you have said, it's rough cut.
Can't wait to hear it when it's finished.

Hey Bern.. thanks for the comment. What do you mean by "pitchy," so I can work on making the vocals sound better. I hope my voice didn't burst any windows in your home, ha.

Please don't send me the bill... I'm broke!

Bern 06-25-2007 10:16 AM

Maybe I should have said 'off key' or flat. Listen to around 00:30 & 00:40. There are a couple of other spots as well. Just trying to be helpful.

CCreyeder 06-25-2007 02:56 PM

I second the comment on the intro... I liked it very much. Liked the entire song as well. Good stuff!

the vault 06-25-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bern (Post 1210000)
Maybe I should have said 'off key' or flat. Listen to around 00:30 & 00:40. There are a couple of other spots as well. Just trying to be helpful.

Yea, totally. wow, you've got good ears to hear it! What do you think about the tones of the guitars and vocals?

Chicago Sandy 06-25-2007 05:20 PM

Considering the arrangement is so simple, I don't think the amount of reverb excessive, at least not on the guitar. About those pitchy notes, Bern's assessment is accurate: it's a common trap when singing melodies that have so many sustained notes to focus on the accuracy of those notes that are held that short shrift is given to the "passing tones" that are between them. (I'm particularly attentive to this in others' songs because it's something to which I am sometimes prone). What did you use to record the song? If it has vocal pitch correction (built-in, or standalone or plug-in Auto-Tune), it's a relatively easy fix since your voice has little vibrato to confuse the algorithm and you don't "scoop" or "lean" into the notes. If you have no pitch correction software or hardware, then some punch-ins might be in order.

I like the overall tone of the slide guitar and your vocal (you do have a nice voice); but perhaps a second strummed guitar part for texture (waaaaaay down in the mix, so as not to lose the overall "spacious" and "airy" feel of the song) might help. I'm wondering whether the inherently "pitchy" nature of slide guitar--especially a part that seems to emphasize the bass strings--might be clashing with your vocals and pulling them slightly flat as well. An instrumental track that has consistently accurate pitch might serve to ameliorate that.

Marshall 06-25-2007 09:24 PM

Very nice. I would recommend doing the reverb differently. The voice seems to have the deepest reverb. That makes it sound "distant." I think in a personal song, the voice ought to be up close. Even breathy works. That would maybe mean "compression," not really reverb. Having the guitar or some other part be the distant part (more reverb) [which the resonator does well], and the voice "close" (less reverb) would seem to be a more natural expression for this tune.

But it's a nice song. And your voice carries it well.

[Pitch perfection is not as important as phrasing and communicating the emotion].

the vault 06-25-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy (Post 1210293)
Considering the arrangement is so simple, I don't think the amount of reverb excessive, at least not on the guitar. About those pitchy notes, Bern's assessment is accurate: it's a common trap when singing melodies that have so many sustained notes to focus on the accuracy of those notes that are held that short shrift is given to the "passing tones" that are between them. (I'm particularly attentive to this in others' songs because it's something to which I am sometimes prone). What did you use to record the song? If it has vocal pitch correction (built-in, or standalone or plug-in Auto-Tune), it's a relatively easy fix since your voice has little vibrato to confuse the algorithm and you don't "scoop" or "lean" into the notes. If you have no pitch correction software or hardware, then some punch-ins might be in order.

I like the overall tone of the slide guitar and your vocal (you do have a nice voice); but perhaps a second strummed guitar part for texture (waaaaaay down in the mix, so as not to lose the overall "spacious" and "airy" feel of the song) might help. I'm wondering whether the inherently "pitchy" nature of slide guitar--especially a part that seems to emphasize the bass strings--might be clashing with your vocals and pulling them slightly flat as well. An instrumental track that has consistently accurate pitch might serve to ameliorate that.

Thanks for the critique. I have a pitch correction program, so I think that may be the next step AFTER recording another take of the vocals. I've never thought about the low slide guitar sound pulling my voice out of pitch. I'm gonna try throwing in a strummed guitar track throughout the whole track and see how that does!

Bern 06-25-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall (Post 1210452)
[Pitch perfection is not as important as phrasing and communicating the emotion].

Perhaps not in this case, but, vocals out of tune can get annoying to listen to and they can be a distraction. ;) It also can kill a perfectly wonderful song.

the vault 06-26-2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bern (Post 1210530)
Perhaps not in this case, but, vocals out of tune can get annoying to listen to and they can be a distraction. ;) It also can kill a perfectly wonderful song.

Heyyyyyyyy! I'm not sure if yoyu are sayin' my song is wonderful, or my vocals suuuuuck!

ha.

Just kidding.

Bern 06-26-2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the vault (Post 1210596)
Heyyyyyyyy! I'm not sure if yoyu are sayin' my song is wonderful, or my vocals suuuuuck!

ha.

Just kidding.

Noooooooo...:D
Just a comment in responds to Marshall's post. :)