The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archtops (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Archtop Gig Bag Ideas...DONE (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488813)

hotroad 11-08-2017 09:24 PM

Archtop Gig Bag Ideas...DONE

My hard shell case is a beast. I am wondering if there are any good gig bags for archtops measuring 17" across and 4" deep. I am not after a flimsy bag. I would like something to provide some cushion and support as well as protection from some weather. I found one at Gator but the height was not quite there. I would appreciate any ideas since I have to travel by foot quite a lot with my archtop that I just picked up. Thanks.

JGinNJ 11-10-2017 10:51 AM

I looked into them a while back trying to find one to fit my Epi Joe Pass (which is slightly narrower), but I didn't have any luck. All the bags I found were either for a concert size or dreadnaught.

I did come across a picture a luthier posted of one he was repairing that had been in a gig bag :(:cry:. I decided maybe it wasn't such a good idea

mr. beaumont 11-10-2017 11:08 AM

Levy's makes a canvas bag for acoustics that'll fit a 17" archtop at the lower bout. They're about $150, I think (been about 10 years since I bought them)Very nice bags, good padding, nice storage.

I have one for my 17" archtop and one for my 16" archtop.

hotroad 11-10-2017 04:15 PM

I just ordered one that is a Fusion Dreadnought bag with a 17" lower bout,
42.5" long, 5" deep and great padding and other features for $200. Lots of money but I can also use it for my other guitars if needed when not wanting to lug around the HSC.

SalFromChatham 11-10-2017 07:04 PM

I have a mint near new Gator progo ultimate gig bag. $149 new. I don’t use it.

If you are interested, pm me...

Steve DeRosa 11-10-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGinNJ (Post 5532883)
I looked into them a while back trying to find one to fit my Epi Joe Pass (which is slightly narrower), but I didn't have any luck. All the bags I found were either for a concert size or dreadnaught.

I did come across a picture a luthier posted of one he was repairing that had been in a gig bag :(:cry:. I decided maybe it wasn't such a good idea

Sorry guys, but I'd never even consider putting anything other than an inexpensive solidbody electric in a gigbag, no matter how well-made - I've seen too many accidents myself in 55 years of playing, and I'd sooner drink a few more protein shakes and do a couple extra sets with the weights than sacrifice protection for convenience...

mr. beaumont 11-11-2017 09:50 AM

If you live in a city and gig, the gig bag is a necessity.

Steve DeRosa 11-11-2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 5533776)
If you live in a city and gig, the gig bag is a necessity.

I do, I do, and I won't - ever...

YMMV...

Livingston 11-12-2017 03:59 PM

My experience with gig bags has been different than some. While I agree a gig bag offers less protection, I find hard cases to create a false sense of security. These days, even if I carry my axe in a hard case, I treat it like it is a gig bag - I don't stack other things on it, I don't set it any place where it might get kicked or stepped on and I don't lean it up against anything.

Depending on the venue, a gig bag is sometimes the most practical and safest way to carry an instrument, in my experience and opinion. Not always; but sometimes.

To me, brand is less important than features/spec; padding, construction and fit are high on my list of considerations. I personally own and like Levy and Road Runner gig bags.

Livingston 11-12-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotroad (Post 5533286)
I just ordered one that is a Fusion Dreadnought bag with a 17" lower bout,
42.5" long, 5" deep and great padding and other features for $200. Lots of money but I can also use it for my other guitars if needed when not wanting to lug around the HSC.

I just did a search on the Fusion bags. They look pretty nice! Please post a review, after you've had a chance to use it.

Congratulations on your new guitar, by the way. Sounds like you are having a great time getting to know her

hotroad 11-14-2017 08:47 PM

FUSION GIG BAG REVIEW....Just got the Fusion case today and wow, it is the most complete gig bag/case that I have ever laid eyes on. Its rigid enough, not a HSC by any means but far from a bag type of 'bag'. It has a removable very well made piece of covered foam several feet long inside for smaller bodied guitars. It promptly came out since this bag is for my archtop with a 17" bout and 42" long. It fits perfectly. Without that added foam, the case has enough foam for great protection. It also has beefy shoulder straps and a waist strap for carrying it on your back. These neatly tuck away when not used. Inside there is neck lock padded velcro strap about 8" long that goes over the neck of the guitar to hold it in place. The neck then rests on a nice carved out piece of covered foam on the underside.

For storage there are four pockets. The first is one at the headstock on the outside that is 5" wide but 16"long. On the top of the bag are three more storage areas ranging from wide and about 8" deep to wider still and 12" deep and the last is 14" wide and 12" deep for song books etc. Plenty of storage and nicely done with great zippers and all of it is finished off very smartly. I cannot find fault with this. Its expensive but for a guitar over $1500 its definitely worth it. OH, and its lightweight with a nicely done soft padded handle that feels sturdy.

I feel confident that I could run my guitar in this case into a table or whatever and it would be find. I could drop it from five feet and the same would be true. Great case. Great thought and craftsmanship. Highly recommended by me and no affiliation.

Livingston 11-17-2017 12:03 AM

Great review! :up:

Thx Hotroad! Gotta get me one!

Jabberwocky 11-18-2017 10:17 AM

Thank you for the review. Wasn't aware of Fusion. Now I am. Have been using Reunion Blues; the Fusion looks like a great alternative.

Spook 11-20-2017 06:22 PM

I have a Fusion bag. Bulky but very good protection and features. However, unless they've changed dimensions a lot of archtops won't fit. The inside length isn't long enough.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M4...=w1600-h587-no

Jabberwocky 12-18-2017 05:09 AM

Revisiting this thread. I found out that there are three versions of the Fusion gigbag: the lowest cost Funksion, the lower cost Fusion F1 Acoustic Dread and the higher cost Fusion Urban Acoustic Dread.

The Funksion and F1 are shorter inside: 40.9"/1040mm; 16.9" wide. The Urban is longer inside: 42.12"/1070mm; 17.52" wide.

Spook got what looks like the shorter Funksion/F1. hotroad got the longer Urban. Baffles me why Fusion made them with two different internal lengths for the same type of guitar, namely, Dreads.

Be aware when ordering yours.