The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dreadnought shaped J45? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260147)

steveyam 07-27-2012 07:59 AM

Dreadnought shaped J45?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNIFICEN...t_26996wt_1165

Is it for real? If so, what were Gibson up to FGS? I guess it's one of those Gibson quirks, the totally illogical, confusing action of calling a guitar by the name of another. Go figure.. lol! Oh well some things never change. Bless em.

lennylux 07-27-2012 08:09 AM

It's a Norlin era example, generally not regarded as Gibson's finest hour... in a bid to reduce warranty returns they were heavier built and are possibly the least coveted examples of Gibson's work.

That said, you'll find many owners who all say Norlin era was horrible yet their particular guitar sounds great, so if so many have great sounding ones how true does it make the generalisation?

all considerations taken in to account, I'd hold off and look for a Ren Ferguson era Bozeman made instrument, from late 1989 - 2011, these are generally superior instruments and tend to lean more to the classic designs and reissues.

lennylux 07-27-2012 08:13 AM

...and for a 70's model it's considerably over-priced!

arie 07-27-2012 08:32 AM

I actually own one of these things although mine hasn't been "manipulated" like that example has. It's known as a square shoulder J45. Mine's a 75' -double x-braced and not considered Gibson's best work. wanna buy it?

a drednaught is an overall descriptor for a large (not jumbo) acoustic guitar. kinda like a kleenex is a tissue and a xerox is a copy. not quirky nor illogical just society's (and corporate ad men) way of trying to put everything into neat, understandable, and marketable cubicles.

Joe M 07-27-2012 08:35 AM

Sorta looks like a Hummingbird without all the bling....

steveyam 07-27-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennylux (Post 3125711)
It's a Norlin era example, generally not regarded as Gibson's finest hour... in a bid to reduce warranty returns they were heavier built and are possibly the least coveted examples of Gibson's work.

That said, you'll find many owners who all say Norlin era was horrible yet their particular guitar sounds great, so if so many have great sounding ones how true does it make the generalisation?

all considerations taken in to account, I'd hold off and look for a Ren Ferguson era Bozeman made instrument, from late 1989 - 2011, these are generally superior instruments and tend to lean more to the classic designs and reissues.

Oh, I know about the Norlin era stuff alright, was there and bought a top dollar Les Paul 25/50 anniversary model, pickups wired wrong from new, poorly matched nondescript top (described as exquisite, book matched), horrible 'shouldered' neck profile etc etc.

And no, not even considering buying this abomination! I hated those oversized, garish 'wooden' headstocks!

Thanks for the input.

ovangkol bill 07-27-2012 08:37 AM

Besides being overbraced with a double X pattern and possible laminated bridge plate, the bridge seems to be a Takamine replacement. I wouldn't pay more than $700 for that. For what the seller wants, you could get a brand new 2012
Martin D-18 that's an infinitely superior guitar.

zombywoof 07-27-2012 09:12 AM

To me the Norlin era began in 1965 when Arnie Berlin (the "in" in Norlin) took over CMI or at least certainly no later than 1966 when Ted McCarty went a walking.

Not only will the guitar have the dreaded double X bracing but a 25.5" scale.
The bridge to me looks original. These can best be described as an oversized bottom belly (the bridge plates in these things are gigantic). If original though I believe they were solid wood and not laminate.

I also agree with others that based on what I have seen similar year guitars fetch here it is way overpriced.

Wade Hampton 07-27-2012 01:23 PM

Steve, as others have said, it's just a Norlin-era J-45, when the company stopped making any round-shouldered guitars and built all their dreads in this shape.

One of the friends I play music with socially has one of these, and it's a pleasant-sounding guitar. It's not loud but it has a sweet tone.

I agree that the price seems steep for a J-45 from that era, but maybe someone will buy it.

whm