The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   neck wood opinion? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320697)

DouginKy 12-09-2013 04:41 PM

neck wood opinion?

I plan to change out another neck and have a choice of Honduras mahogany vs maple. It's a 000 and will be Sitka over EIR when finished.

Which should yield the most sustain?
Will be maple be a lot harder to carve?
Thanks

clinchriver 12-09-2013 05:03 PM

Maple carves very nicely, mahogany might be a better color match.:D

jeff crisp 12-10-2013 05:15 AM

Color, weight and ease of carving, my choice would be mahogany.

Ned Milburn 12-10-2013 06:05 AM

Mahogany is a common choice for neck wood because of its easiness in carving, its stiffness, weight, and its dimensional stability across humidity changes.

cedarkoa599 12-10-2013 06:23 AM

hog not maple

DouginKy 12-10-2013 08:52 AM

Thanks for the replies !

charles Tauber 12-10-2013 10:06 AM

"Maple" is a vague term. There is hard maple, soft maple, birdseye maple, flamed maple... Harder maples are not easy to carve and figured maples can be a little trickier than non-figured maples.

Some maples are relatively very heavy and others much lighter in weight. Some maples are much stiffer than others. If you go with maple, I'd recommend that you use quarter sawn material - or laminate non-quartered material from several or more strips.

There is also variation in weight of mahogany, but, generally, it works very easily and is far less dependent upon being quarter sawn or not.

DouginKy 12-10-2013 10:11 AM

My choice is called medium flamed maple. The guys says it's much harder/stiffer than the mahogany I got last time. I like the mahogany neck he sent me, so I've about decided to repeat.
I just thought something different, might be well..different in a good way.
I'm wood illiterate relying on what I read here in the forums.
Thanks Charles

charles Tauber 12-10-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DouginKy (Post 3727645)
My choice is called medium flamed maple. The guys says it's much harder/stiffer than the mahogany I got last time. I like the mahogany neck he sent me, so I've about decided to repeat.
I just thought something different, might be well..different in a good way.
I'm wood illiterate relying on what I read here in the forums.
Thanks Charles

Then I suggest you expand your experience, and with it your knowledge. You experienced mahogany, now try maple. Go with the maple if for no other reason than simply to experience working with it.

John Arnold 12-10-2013 01:58 PM

A denser, stiffer neck will tend to produce more sustain.

Tone Gopher 12-10-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Arnold (Post 3728004)
A denser, stiffer neck will tend to produce more sustain.

A heavier neck will change the balance of your guitar as well.

DouginKy 12-11-2013 11:43 AM

Thank you all for the responses !
Doug

sfden1 12-11-2013 02:37 PM

I've had a guitar that used both. 3 ply laminated neck with quartersawn birdseye maple sandwiched between mahogany outer layers (or it could be done the other way around). Very nice looking and something to consider.

murrmac123 12-12-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 3727636)
If you go with maple, I'd recommend that you use quarter sawn material - or laminate non-quartered material from several or more strips.

There is also variation in weight of mahogany, but, generally, it works very easily and is far less dependent upon being quarter sawn or not.

Charles, I'm not sure that Leo Fender would have concurred with your viewpoint regarding the criticality of maple necks being quarter sawn ...

charles Tauber 12-12-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murrmac123 (Post 3731246)
Charles, I'm not sure that Leo Fender would have concurred with your viewpoint regarding the criticality of maple necks being quarter sawn ...

I'm sure he, and his many copy-cats, wouldn't have. But, that doesn't change my recommendation, particularly for an acoustic guitar. ;)