The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Curious, would a Martin Custom Shop qualify to be in this forum? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562352)

PTL 10-30-2019 09:39 PM

Curious, would a Martin Custom Shop qualify to be in this forum?

No, I don't have one ordered and don't plan to either but curious if a martin Custom shop order would qualify or would it be laughed out of this forum?

Curious. :)

(Got to wondering if the CS' better works such as the authentics which are not really CS but of the quality are on par with solo luthier's work - generally speaking.)

tadol 10-30-2019 10:54 PM

I don’t think it would be laughed off, but I don’t know if it would really be as appreciated here, as it might be on other forums -

colins 10-31-2019 12:54 AM

Definitely qualifies and I don't see why it would be laughed at.

Martin build great guitars and it would be interesting to follow the thought process behind a custom order and then the build process itself.

Cocobolo Kid 10-31-2019 11:21 AM

I agree with Colin. I would happily follow a Martin custom shop build thread.

fazool 10-31-2019 11:25 AM

ummmmmm, I'm apparently missing something here.

Martin guitar?

The most iconic brand of guitar in history and the foundation for all modern acoustic guitars?

A specialized high end Martin made in the Custom Shop?

Why are we having this question?

Seriously I am (honestly) confused.

It's like a sports car forum asking if they can talk about their convertible porsche.

I'm not being mean I actually am thinking there's some running joke that I am missing...

justonwo 10-31-2019 11:45 AM

I’d have no problem with it. When I was a mod, I didn’t usually move threads unless a lot of people had a problem with it. I don’t really feel like things have to fall into strict categories.

BrunoBlack 10-31-2019 12:19 PM

I think it would be a great addition to this sub forum.

TomB'sox 10-31-2019 12:24 PM

It would be no problem...

PTL 10-31-2019 08:19 PM

Thanks all. The only reason I asked is that I've not seen one......and surely there are AGF members who order from Custom shops....

So thought I'd ask.

ManyMartinMan 10-31-2019 08:32 PM

All guitars are discussed here. You've been around since 2007 and I feel you know that. Curious that you would ask about something that is completely hypothetical from your OP. Any other custom build is discussed here as have been plenty of NGD Martin Custom Shops.

PTL 10-31-2019 08:48 PM

Greetings ManyMartinMan,

You have a fair conclusion from the data drawn - I've been around since 2007. However, here's my explanation. If you check my posts, I have been inactive for many years and only recently started back in the guitar world again. So from fairly recently, I do not remember seeing any Martin CS. Hence my query. I SHOULD have done a search before posting.... my mistake.

In truth, I was originally on this forum (except it had different name?) back in the 90s. I don't remember what my screen name was back then but I remember some of the names from that forum here such as Wade Hampton.

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan (Post 6200636)
All guitars are discussed here. You've been around since 2007 and I feel you know that. Curious that you would ask about something that is completely hypothetical from your OP. Any other custom build is discussed here as have been plenty of NGD Martin Custom Shops.

The Bard Rocks 10-31-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTL (Post 6200629)
Thanks all. The only reason I asked is that I've not seen one......and surely there are AGF members who order from Custom shops....

So thought I'd ask.

Maybe because these are mostly customized (analogous to "personal service" compared to "personalized") rather than truly one of a kind. To get a truly and fully custom Martin like that would be pretty dear, no doubt. But it can be done and such a guitar would be very appropriate here as well as appreciated.

DenverSteve 10-31-2019 09:36 PM

I was going to say that I've discussed my Martin Custom Shop guitars here before but I now see this is in the Custom Shop sub-forum. I have not here as they have been usually part of NGD's in the General Forum. However, if you decide to order and have a Martin Custom Build done, please list it here. I don't know if Martin sends updated photos like small builder's do but that would be great.

ManyMartinMan 10-31-2019 09:50 PM

I understand now more completely. Sorry for my jump to conclusions. I hope that you do indeed commission a Martin Custom Shop build and share it here.

Michael Watts 11-05-2019 04:26 PM

I for one would love to see a Martin build here in the Custom Shop! I'll look forward to your posts!