The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How to deal with boomy notes which cause clipping in amp? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621666)

Odedi 07-24-2021 01:45 PM

How to deal with boomy notes which cause clipping in amp?
 
So my G note gets pretty boomy because of the guitar's main air resonance.
I noticed that while playing outside today, that note can spike up the volume/frequency which then causes clipping in my amp.

I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this issue?
Is there a way to control the offending note's frequency,
So that it doesnt stand out and clip my signal?

YamahaGuy 07-24-2021 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odedi (Post 6771259)
So my G note gets pretty boomy because of the guitar's main air resonance.
I noticed that while playing outside today, that note can spike up the volume/frequency which then causes clipping in my amp.

I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this issue?
Is there a way to control the offending note's frequency,
So that it doesnt stand out and clip my signal?

Which G? On the bass string? Is it just G, or is it any note played on that particular string. With an under saddle pickup, commonly the low E and/or high e strings are out of balance due to there being more downforce on the saddle and consequently on the pickup at the ends.

Let's first find out why, then we can work on the how.

To answer your question, some EQs are capable of "pulling out" a note out of the signal, so it can be done.

I suspect your pickup is not evenly balanced across the strings...

Cuki79 07-24-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odedi (Post 6771259)
So my G note gets pretty boomy because of the guitar's main air resonance.
I noticed that while playing outside today, that note can spike up the volume/frequency which then causes clipping in my amp.

I was wondering if any of you are familiar with this issue?
Is there a way to control the offending note's frequency,
So that it doesnt stand out and clip my signal?

You need a Parametric EQ to tame it. Add a sharp cut at 100 Hz.

Odedi 07-25-2021 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaGuy (Post 6771317)
Which G? On the bass string? Is it just G, or is it any note played on that particular string. With an under saddle pickup, commonly the low E and/or high e strings are out of balance due to there being more downforce on the saddle and consequently on the pickup at the ends.

Let's first find out why, then we can work on the how.

To answer your question, some EQs are capable of "pulling out" a note out of the signal, so it can be done.

I suspect your pickup is not evenly balanced across the strings...

The open G is quite boomy,
But also the G note on the 4th (D) string on the (5th fret).

The boominess is there also when I am unplugged.
It's just a guitar resonance thing I guess, which gets amplified when amplified hehe

shufflebeat 07-25-2021 02:54 AM

That's what soundhole plugs are designed for.

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/im...bj9h3p2rft.jpg

There may be other issues and valuable solutions which others have described in your situation but if chamber resonance is the main one then a decent f/bb will get you most of the way there.

YamahaGuy 07-25-2021 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odedi (Post 6771510)
The open G is quite boomy,
But also the G note on the 4th (D) string on the (5th fret).

The boominess is there also when I am unplugged.
It's just a guitar resonance thing I guess, which gets amplified when amplified hehe

G2 and G3 are at 98hz and 196hz, respectively. So an eq with 100 and 200hz settings could possibly help to cut those frequencies out. The LR Baggs PADI has a notch filter that can be dialed in for particular notes as well.

Good luck with it.

Odedi 07-25-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shufflebeat (Post 6771525)
That's what soundhole plugs are designed for.

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/im...bj9h3p2rft.jpg

There may be other issues and valuable solutions which others have described in your situation but if chamber resonance is the main one then a decent f/bb will get you most of the way there.

Yeah I am using that.
The boomy note was A before I put on this cover.
Now it's G hehe

James May 07-25-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odedi (Post 6771786)
Yeah I am using that.
The boomy note was A before I put on this cover.
Now it's G hehe

Reducing the sound hole area will lower the chamber resonance frequency. I'm surprised it isn't lower than G (98Hz) with the sound hole completely covered.

shufflebeat 07-25-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odedi (Post 6771786)
Yeah I am using that.
The boomy note was A before I put on this cover.
Now it's G hehe

Ok, need more info:

Guitar (type/model)
Pickup (type/model)
Preamp/EQ
Amp model
Typical performance environmemt
Existing tools available (EQ pedals, cement mixer, etc.)

Cuki79 07-25-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaGuy (Post 6771540)
G2 and G3 are at 98hz and 196hz, respectively. So an eq with 100 and 200hz settings could possibly help to cut those frequencies out. The LR Baggs PADI has a notch filter that can be dialed in for particular notes as well.

Good luck with it.

Agree with YamahaGuy, a notch filter will work.

calvanesebob 07-25-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odedi (Post 6771510)
The boominess is there also when I am unplugged. hehe

Have you had the nut and saddle checked?

Odedi 07-26-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James May (Post 6771846)
Reducing the sound hole area will lower the chamber resonance frequency. I'm surprised it isn't lower than G (98Hz) with the sound hole completely covered.

Oh, that's because I have a small soundport on the upper side !
I should try and cover that too,
however I am afraid it will kill the tone.

Odedi 07-26-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvanesebob (Post 6771961)
Have you had the nut and saddle checked?

Can you tell me more?
What needs to be checked there?

Odedi 07-26-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shufflebeat (Post 6771885)
Ok, need more info:

Guitar (type/model)
Pickup (type/model)
Preamp/EQ
Amp model
Typical performance environmemt
Existing tools available (EQ pedals, cement mixer, etc.)

Cordoba GK studio Negra
Fishman Presys Blend (mic + ust)
Fishman loudbox mini charge
Sometimes at homes, sometimes on the street busking.
Got a small 7EQ pedal - Ammoon 3C where the 1k frequency is lowered drastically because it just sounds like **** lol

MarkF_48 07-26-2021 09:49 AM

How close is the amp placed near you and is it in front of you, to the side, or behind? Set fairly high in volume?
Have you tried some distance between you and the amp?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=