The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Sobell new Flat Top New World (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607915)

jonnymosco 02-22-2021 11:28 AM

Sobell new Flat Top New World

I've spent a few days recording some new Sobell guitars for Stefan for his website, two of them flat tops, a new thing for him - his soundboards usually are domed. He has used his usual bracing; the back has the usual doming.

Here's the first recording, a New World model flat top (Douglas Fir, Brazilian Rosewood). The piece is 'e' by Andrew York, tuning: DADF#BD, a nightmare to play due to really odd timing.

More details will be on his website soon.

Headphones recommended as a lot of the depth in the bass is lost otherwise.

The other recordings include some Blues and something vaguely Celtic... coming soon.

Jonny

nickv6 02-22-2021 12:27 PM

Very lovely sound, very lovely playing
Nick

dennisczech 02-22-2021 02:45 PM

Great stuff as always Jonny, exquisite clarity.

mesa 02-22-2021 02:50 PM

Lovely playing Jonny, great sounding guitar too!

steveh 02-22-2021 05:02 PM

Fabulous!
Canít wait for the rest.

Cheers,
Steve

jmat 02-22-2021 07:28 PM

Wow, what a trifecta: beautiful tune, expertly played, wonderful instrument. We want more Jonny, always more.

Vaillant75 02-23-2021 02:22 AM

Impressive projection given the guitar is capo'ed at the 5th fret. I am yet to play a Sobell, I hope this will happen one day.

And great playing of course, but that is a given ;)

Looking forward to the rest.
Cheers,

jonnymosco 02-23-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaillant75 (Post 6644343)
Impressive projection given the guitar is capo'ed at the 5th fret. I am yet to play a Sobell, I hope this will happen one day.

And great playing of course, but that is a given ;)

Looking forward to the rest.
Cheers,

Yes, I thought is was risky to demo a guitar in DADF#BD, capo'ed at the Vth - but the guitar really sings! There s plenty of bass presence too. Thanks.

Thanks for watching and for the kind workds nickv6, dennisczech, mesa, steveh and jmat.

Here's the second video, the design is the same, but built with a German Spruce top.

Jonny

Tim Porter 02-23-2021 08:11 AM

Lovely playing and guitars, Jonny! Did you have a preference for one guitar or the other? Tim

nickv6 02-23-2021 08:42 AM

Again, a kovely sound and great playing. There really is something special about the sound of those.
Nick

jonnymosco 02-23-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Porter (Post 6644493)
Lovely playing and guitars, Jonny! Did you have a preference for one guitar or the other? Tim

Thank you.

Yes, I think the Douglas Fir really chimed, both have volume, clarity and sustain, but that seemed to have some built in reverb and was very responsive to a variety of attack.

Jonny

jonnymosco 02-23-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickv6 (Post 6644530)
Again, a kovely sound and great playing. There really is something special about the sound of those.
Nick

Thank you and yes I agree, very special and a different soundscape for a Sobell.

Jonny

dennisczech 02-23-2021 01:59 PM

I preferred the Douglas Fir.

jmat 02-23-2021 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisczech (Post 6644846)
I preferred the Douglas Fir.

Likewise. The DF had something special, like a built in effect leading to a unique quality, reverby as Jonny indicated and also bell-like and with it's own clarity. New to my ears. The European spruce sounded good and perhaps less noticeable because it seemed to sound as it was expected to sound - as one might expect from a venerable tonewood combination shaped into a Sobell.

Guitars44me 02-23-2021 07:41 PM

NICE STUFF

Both instruments sounded GREAT to me. Beautiful playing too! Fun to watch your super relaxed and graceful hands!!! And the guitars are lovely too...

Interesting leg up widget! I would love to know more about it. Looks super comfy and I like that it is padded and nothing to scratch the guitars.

Thanks for sharing with us all

Salud

Paul