The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Molly Tuttle: "Sleepwalking" (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564436)

martingitdave 11-22-2019 10:52 AM

Molly Tuttle: "Sleepwalking"

Many of you know my appreciation of the musical talents of Molly Tuttle. She's not only one of the best young singer/songwriters, but also one of the most gifted instrumentalists. Her new release is called "Sleepwalking". She writes:

"'Sleepwalking' is one of the more personal songs on the album," says Tuttle. "I wrote it by myself, digging into the anxiety I have felt for many years about the effects of climate change and the ever-rising cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area (where I grew up). I wanted to symbolically incorporate my experience as a woman with total hair loss (Alopecia Totalis) into the video for the song, because that part of who I am also informed the lyrics, in a subtler way. I lost my hair early on in life, and at times that experience has made me fear change and hold onto the past. With the visual, I wanted to raise the question of what it means to 'be yourself' again after a part of who you are disappears. What do we cling to in times of change? Hopefully each person who watches what we made will find a personal meaning in it."

I believe the song speaks for itself.

Lyrics for those interested:

[Verse 1]
If I drove into the sea
Float away with the fear
Be my anchor, please
'Cause your voice is all I need

[Chorus]
Keep talking
Now we're sleepwalking
Through a world that disappeared
Bad habits
Burn like TV static
But you're comin' in clear

[Verse 2]
Smoke is rising from the street
Once you said love was free
Show me what you mean
Close my eyes and guide my feet

[Chorus]
Keep talking
Now we're sleepwalking
Bad habits
Burn like TV static

[Bridge]
Don't let me go, don't wake me
Take me down to where the waves are breaking
When the shiny city falls into the sea
I'll let the sound of your voice carry me

[Chorus]
Keep talking
Now we're sleepwalking
Bad habits
Burn like TV static

[Outro]
Clear, clear
Comin' in clear

agfsteve 11-22-2019 11:09 AM

Wow, beautiful song!

rokdog49 11-22-2019 11:15 AM

Pretty song.
The lyrics are representative of the way we all feel from time to time.
I’m not sure who she is addressing but I found my own cure for stress and anxiety I’m happy to say so I applied that to the song and it works.

Denny B 11-22-2019 11:34 AM

I felt deeply moved and touched by the song, the lyrics, and the visuals...

Molly Tuttle is a tremendously talented young woman, and I think she's going to shine in many other areas of music than her already illustrious career in Bluegrass...

She's like a breath of fresh air...

Silly Moustache 11-22-2019 11:36 AM

Oh no - Molly's been Nashvilated! (and she's bald!?)

ctvolfan 11-22-2019 11:45 AM

Great song, great CD and beautiful person. I found out about her here on the forum. Obviously it is a guitar forum so I was focused on her playing. I was fortunate enough to see here at a free concert near where I live a couple months ago and not even knowing her songs really, it was one of the best performances I have ever seen. I was mesmerized mostly by her voice. Wow!

After the show I went to the table to buy a CD and Molly came to the table and was signing CDs. I did get mine signed. So she was very approachable. I did tell her that I found out about her on the Acoustic Guitar Forum and that I came to see her because of the great things I had heard about her on the forum. Unfortunately she said she had not heard of the forum. Hopefully she has checked us out by now.

JayBee1404 11-22-2019 11:52 AM

A great song and a superb video from a beautiful, hugely-talented, and very, very brave young woman. ❤️

keith.rogers 11-22-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 6218267)
Oh no - Molly's been Nashvilated! (and she's bald!?)

She developed alopecia as a small child and has worn wigs practically her entire life. She's recently become more vocal about the condition and appears without a wig especially when bringing attention to it.

P.S. Been a fan for a while. I am *so* going to see here at the Old Settlers' Music Festival next year!! She never comes to Texas :(.

DukeX 11-22-2019 12:34 PM

Thanks for sharing this, martingitdave. Makes me like her even more.

jaymarsch 11-22-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee1404 (Post 6218279)
A great song and a superb video from a beautiful, hugely-talented, and very, very brave young woman. ❤️

Agreed!

Best,
Jayne

boombox 11-28-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 6218267)
Oh no - Molly's been Nashvilated!....)

I was a little worried when I heard the first few tracks off the album, but live she is still a veritable machine! And the new songs really work in a live environment. However, I've only seen her solo, or in a duo with Rachel Baiman. Not sure what I'd think of the songs in a band situation. However, if you can manage to forget she is one of the best flatpickers out there and just accept the songs for being from a singer-songwriter, then she is head and shoulders above most of her contemporaries. I felt the same when the I'm With Her album came out: I'd seen all three ladies solo before and once on their first tour. The album was a lot more mainstream folk-country than I might have wanted, but it's still a great album, well-played, with excellent harmonies.

Kh1967 12-15-2019 09:46 AM

She is an incredibly thoughtful soul. So, so much respect for her.

Red_Label 12-17-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee1404 (Post 6218279)

I'm not female, but alopecia caused me grief for many years. It sucks. Having said that, there are a LOT of diseases that are far worse and affect people in much more profound ways than loss of hair. We all have our own crosses to bear. I wouldn't trade my tribulations (alopecia, many spinal surgeries, etc) for anyone else's.

Anyways... Molly is supremely talented and she makes her cross-picking and claw-hammer styles look easy (for her) and very complicated (for us!) all at the same time. I wouldn't trade my trials for anyone else's, but I'd be happy to trade her my talent for hers!!! :D