The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Guitar Center Cracked My Guitar Top (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352675)

lily5malcolm4 08-11-2014 11:55 AM

Guitar Center Cracked My Guitar Top

Hello. I bought an inexpensive Kremona classical guitar at Guitar Center ($400) about a year and a half ago. A couple of days ago, the bridge of that guitar flew off the guitar top, pretty cleanly. I took it back to Guitar Center and they said they would glue it on for $120 plus strings. I said okay and they went to work. I got a call yesterday and they said the bridge was fixed but they had cracked the top of the guitar in the process of making the repair. I don't know what the crack looks like. They said they were sorry but these things happen and they said they would only charge me half price for the bridge repair. I have never had a guitar repaired before so I have a few questions. Will the crack be a problem (I know we haven't seen it). Should I demand more consideration for the crack? Waive the bridge fee completely? New cheap guitar? Again, I don't know what is reasonable but also fair. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jukie 08-11-2014 12:09 PM

Is it just me or does $120 for a bridge re-glue and new strings sound high? I think I'd be expecting more than a half price repair for them cracking your top.

fazool 08-11-2014 12:09 PM

While I understand cracks can be fixed, I would be really upset if any guitar was cracked and would not be satisfied with a repaired top.

I know cracks can be effectively fixed but having a crack-free guitar is different than having a repaired-crack guitar.

I would give them the option of replacing your guitar or paying you fair value and letting you choose.

dneal 08-11-2014 12:20 PM

Only 1/2 price for the work. Whatta deal... :rolleyes:

Best case for them is that they don't charge for anything and just apologize as they hand you back your repaired guitar.

rvf263 08-11-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 4079811)
I would give them the option of replacing your guitar or paying you fair value and letting you choose.

I think this is fair.

Wasper 08-11-2014 12:23 PM

That Kremona guitar, if I remember correctly, should of had a 3 year warranty on it. GC should have told you of the option to have it shipped in for warranty repair on Krmona's dime (minus shipping probably). What GC did, if they are not a certified Kremona repair dealer, was crack your guitar and void the warranty at the same time.

I would be demanding a new guitar myself. They messed it up, they should make it right. If you complain loud enough, they should be able to swap it out for such a low dollar amount. There would be NO WAY I would PAY THEM for cracking my guitar!

darfaz 08-11-2014 12:25 PM

I've never had any work done at GC, but I can't believe they wouldn't have offered to fix the crack they made for free. Or pay for you to have it repaired elsewhere if you don't want them flubbing around on your guitar anymore.

Hey_day 08-11-2014 12:31 PM

I had a bridge do the same thing on a mcilroy. Brought it to guitar works near Chicago and only charged me $80. I'd complain as high as you can. All work should be free. They just list you allot of value in the guitar. These things shouldn't happen in my mind.

Judson 08-11-2014 12:32 PM

I guess I'm fortunate living in an area with lots of competent guitar repair experts.

Subsequently, I have never given even the remotest thought to using GC for a repair or even a set-up.

Still, seems to me though, that most any area that is big enough to support a GC is also big enough to have a good selection of real, honest-to-goodness luthiers and guitar techs to choose from.

charles Tauber 08-11-2014 01:00 PM

In my opinion $120 plus the cost of strings is excessive for this repair, even if done expertly.

I'm at a loss as to how one cracks a top while performing this very simple repair: I'm conjecturing that they tried to clamp the bridge to the top by placing the clamp across the top and back of the instrument and then squeezing. With excessive deflection of the top due to the squeezing, it cracked. If so, this is, in my opinion, incompetence.

The most common method for gluing/clamping a classical guitar bridge is to make a caul that is notched to fit over the internal bracing. Usually a caul is made for the top of the bridge as well. Clamps are then applied through the sound hole sandwiching the exterior bridge caul, the bridge, the guitar top and the interior caul. Doing so subjects the top to no appreciable deflection, unlike placing a clamp across the top and back of the guitar and then squeezing. Occasionally, instrument design does not allow clamping through the sound hole and other methods must be used, but with appropriate care.

Occasionally, accidents happen and the person responsible for the accident should remedy the situation appropriately. In this case, the minimum I would accept would be a free bridge reglue, free crack repair and the free strings. However, given the experience to date, it is suspect as to whether or not they could glue the bridge and repair the crack competently.

They don't have GC stores in Canada, where I live. There is, however, a similar chain store here. I recently had a customer have the bridge on her classical guitar fly off, much as you describe. She took the guitar to the chain store to repair. They told her that it would cost $150 and that she'd have to wait a while because it requires special, expensive glue and they only get that glue when they have a sufficient number of these repairs to warrant getting that glue. Nonsense. Like GC, it is hit-and-miss and depends upon who at the store is doing the repair.

mbr12 08-11-2014 01:04 PM

With the bridge flying off and top cracking, they owe you a replacement guitar.

Coffeeaddict 08-11-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 4079872)
In my opinion $120 plus the cost of strings is excessive for this repair, even if done expertly.

I'm at a loss as to how one cracks a top while performing this very simple repair: I'm conjecturing that they tried to clamp the bridge to the top by placing the clamp across the top and back of the instrument and then squeezing. With excessive deflection of the top due to the squeezing, it cracked. If so, this is, in my opinion, incompetence.

The most common method for gluing/clamping a classical guitar bridge is to make a caul that is notched to fit over the internal bracing. Usually a caul is made for the top of the bridge as well. Clamps are then applied through the sound hole sandwiching the exterior bridge caul, the bridge, the guitar top and the interior caul. Doing so applies no appreciable deflection of the top, unlike placing a clamp across the top and back of the guitar and then squeezing. Occasionally, instrument design does not allow clamping through the sound hole and other methods must be used, but with appropriate care.

Occasionally, accidents happen and the person responsible for the accident should remedy the situation appropriately. In this case, the minimum I would accept would be a free bridge reglue, free crack repair and the free strings. However, given the experience to date, it is suspect as to whether or not they could glue the bridge and repair the crack competently.

They don't have GC stores in Canada, where I live. There is, however, a similar chain store here. I recently had a customer have the bridge on her classical guitar fly off, much as you describe. She took the guitar to the chain store to repair. They told her that it would cost $150 and that she'd have to wait a while because it requires special, expensive glue and they only get that glue when they have a sufficient number of these repairs to warrant getting that glue. Nonsense. Like GC, its hit-and-miss and depends upon who at the store is doing the repair.

I know exactly who you are referring to - I try to avoid buying anything there, over priced on pretty much everything, horrible customer service too..

To the OP - hope you are able to get this resolved to your satisfaction. At the very least they should refund your money and pay for you to have the guitar repaired by someone else.

flaggerphil 08-11-2014 01:07 PM

To me, since they damaged your guitar more than it was before the attempted to "fix" it, they should not charge you for their "repair" work at all and either have the crack fixed or pay to have it fixed.

To "only" charge you half when they damaged your guitar far more than it was when you brought it in is pretty darn arrogant IMHO.

JerryM 08-11-2014 01:10 PM

Tell them they broke it they need to replace it,,,,Period.

Bill Ashton 08-11-2014 01:11 PM

Got a quote for removing and attaching the bridge on my brother's 90's-something D28 for the same amount, so I would not quibble with the price...though our work is being done by a well-known luthier...

But that damage in not acceptable. "Happens?" Really? Then they eat it if it should have been a warranty repair. Demand a new guitar of equal (new) value. Actually, you should contact the Kremona-organization.

http://www.kremona.com/en/distributors/north-america