The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   "Rustling" Noise from Satin Finishes When Recording? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534679)

gmel555 01-14-2019 10:38 PM

"Rustling" Noise from Satin Finishes When Recording?

I had a mini acoustic e-bass that I tried to use for recording using both a microphone and DI with the installed under-saddle pickup. This guitar had a satin finish and I found that every arm movement rubbing over the satin finish produced a "rustling" noise prominently recorded through the pickup channel. I have used this same recording technique on other 6-string acoustic guitars with gloss finishes and have no issue with noise produced by arm movement over the guitar surface. Was this an isolated instance or will most satin finished acoustic guitars produce a similar noise when recording using an under-saddle or other internal-type pickup? Thx

3notes 01-14-2019 10:52 PM

They all will do that. They're noisey. I know. Been there. But, there's hope....

Now that you know, you can work on being silent with your guitar. I'm an amateur and I overcame the issue by being aware of the issue.

semolinapilcher 01-14-2019 11:19 PM

Yes, it’s a thing. Not the end of the world but I can corroborate first-hand.

That said, a gloss top and satin back/sides is a fantastic combination. The ovangkol on my 415 looks fantastic 18 years later after steady gigging and churching.

Wade Hampton 01-15-2019 12:28 AM

Not to be a contrarian, but the trouble I’ve had with satin finishes creating noise hasn’t been with the finish itself, but with the clear satin pickguards that both Larrivee and the Tacoma Guitar Company used with their satin finish guitars back in the 1990’s.

I owned several satin finish examples of both brands back then, and still have one of each.

I dislike clear pickguards anyway, because they remind me of the clear vinyl furniture covers I sometimes had to sit on and absolutely loathed as a child. So whenever I acquire any guitar with a clear pickguard, it’s the very first thing I change, even before I put fresh strings on the instrument.

So those pickguards were going to go away, regardless. No court of appeal: I’m unflinching in my adamant hatred of clear pickguards (I don’t hate them on other people’s guitars, but it’s pointless trying to convince me to keep one on any of my instruments.). With the six or seven satin finish guitars that passed through my hands, as soon as I replaced those factory stock pebble grain clear pickguards with Martin-style black or tortoise pickguards, the noise problem went away.

But while the original satin pickguards remained on there, the noise they generated when I played was both audible and annoying.

So I would recommend that you consider that aspect before jettisoning your satin finish guitar; the problem might not stem from the finish itself, but from the pickguard.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

jaycal 01-15-2019 06:51 AM

Sold a satin guitar partially because of this

Bob Womack 01-15-2019 07:04 AM

I'm a recording engineer/producer. The guitar I keep around the studio is a seventeen-year-old Taylor 300 series with satin back and sides. I mic it with some pretty sensitive mics and a really quiet atmosphere. I've found that the big deal is choosing and adjusting my clothing. I don't have as much problem with skin-to-guitar as I do with clothing.

Of course, your mileage may vary state to state. :D

Bob

JakeStone 01-15-2019 07:15 AM

I bought a Larrivee 40 model a couple years ago.. All satin. First thing I noticed was the noise.. The finish was like sand paper with little tiny "pebbles".. Nearly impossible to record with headphones..

I researched the subject (on several different forums) and figured out how to de-satin-ize the back and sides. Using light wet sand and then Virtuoso guitar polish. It worked amazing.. took me like 8 hours!

I ended up selling the guitar (for other reasons).. But will not buy satin bodied anymore. I'll pay extra for properly finished guitars.

musicman1951 01-15-2019 08:16 AM

You might want to try a little more wrist bend in your right (non-neck) wrist - so the fingers hang almost straight down toward the floor. This is a pretty small instrument and I'll bet you can play it most of the time without moving your right arm at all.

Unless you're using a pick, then definitely don't try this.

robj144 01-15-2019 08:20 AM

Why not just lose the under saddle pickup for this guitar?

AndrewG 01-15-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj144 (Post 5949006)

That's far too sensible;)

gmel555 01-15-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robj144 (Post 5949006)

Using the combination of mic and DI gives me the particular tone/effect I’m looking for. So no.

gmel555 01-15-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 5949051)
That's far too sensible;)

Using the combination of mic and DI gives me the particular tone/effect I’m looking for. So no, and I need the pickup at other times. Is that sensible?

muscmp 01-15-2019 10:10 AM

i lift my arm so that it doesn't brush against the body of the guitar.

play music!

bufflehead 01-15-2019 10:13 AM

Rolling up the sleeve on my right arm works for me.

Earl49 01-15-2019 10:18 AM

I've had noise when recording my satin finished Taylor 414, no matter how soft the clothing I was wearing (well worn cotton t-shirt) or how still I tried to remain What worked for me was to drape a clean chamois over the top of the lower bout and back, between me and the guitar. No noise then.