The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Who makes the "best" Martin-inspired guitar? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602629)

Erithon 01-01-2021 11:34 PM

Glad you specificed it's more a list than a competition because I don't know what "best" even means haha. But Kim Walker's builds are magical. That's really the only word :)

And I'm very, very surprised to see that Nick Kukich (Franklin Guitars) isn't on the the list yet. He pretty much single-handedly revived the OM in the '70s and has now build over 600 guitars. Outstanding examples of the traditional soundscape.

Diamondave 01-02-2021 02:02 AM

Ah, FRANKLIN...!!! Too many #1’s

jt1 01-02-2021 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynS (Post 6592875)
It's actually my boyfriend's. I know he is anxiously waiting to finalize the specs sometime this year. I will let him show it off as I don't know how to post pictures. I will post recordings in Show and Tell however.

Please keep us posted! My last Kim build was 10 years ago. I need to live vicariously.

Plus, he usually asks me to visit to play through a completed batch. I may get to christen your guitar with a belt buckle mark, or three. :)

RoyBoy 01-02-2021 07:10 AM

Both Collings and Bourgeois use bolt on necks, perhaps others on your list as well. With Martin's history of neck resets, it's easy to see why.

CoolerKing 01-02-2021 07:57 AM

Ok, updated!

pianissimo 01-03-2021 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCM615 (Post 6591852)
If you're focusing on matching a vintage Martin perfectly (and why not!) then I'd go with Lynn Dudenbostel, John Arnold or TJ Thompson. The difficult part is getting a commission from any of them. I know John and Lynn are both under #100 after 30 years.
If you get a spot, though, it'll be a spectacular result, which would fit right in with some of the other wonderful guitars you have!

Are you sure about this? Lynn has built less than 100 guitars in his career?

usb_chord 01-04-2021 01:56 AM

You'll wanna add Joe Konkoly to the list. He took over for TJ Thompson at Elderly in MI and builds really nice trad stuff.

David Eichelbaum also builds (quite well) in the trad style.

Not sure how often it happens now, but Bill Tippin has built many Martin style guitars over the years. His 12 fretters especially, but he does OMs, too.

Leo Posch.

Bob Altman.

Mario Proulx - definitely Martin inspired but with a twist (see the OM/D)

Roy McAlister. (see 12 fretters and OMs)

Ronnie Griffin. Great maker, rare to see his work out in the wild (known for the dreads, John Arnold connection as well)

Frankie Montuoro for SURE -

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...-bench-copies/

Bob Thompson.

Wolfram 01-04-2021 06:00 AM

UK builder Ralph Bown definitely deserves a place on this list - his guitars are among the finest I've played. Incredibly responsive with tone you can really shape with your technique. Really inspiring instruments!

Cheers,
David

Ukulele_Eddie 01-04-2021 09:22 AM

So many amazing builders. Given your "tight" Martinesque requirements, would you consider one of Martin's own "Authentic" custom shop models, like the 1931 Authentic 00-17?

JCM615 01-04-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pianissimo (Post 6594972)
Are you sure about this? Lynn has built less than 100 guitars in his career?

He's finishing #93 for me shortly. Of course, he's had a huge demand for mandolins for quite a while, so he's been busy with that as well.

CoolerKing 01-05-2021 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usb_chord (Post 6595056)
You'll wanna add Joe Konkoly to the list. He took over for TJ Thompson at Elderly in MI and builds really nice trad stuff.

David Eichelbaum also builds (quite well) in the trad style.

Not sure how often it happens now, but Bill Tippin has built many Martin style guitars over the years. His 12 fretters especially, but he does OMs, too.

Leo Posch.

Bob Altman.

Mario Proulx - definitely Martin inspired but with a twist (see the OM/D)

Roy McAlister. (see 12 fretters and OMs)

Ronnie Griffin. Great maker, rare to see his work out in the wild (known for the dreads, John Arnold connection as well)

Frankie Montuoro for SURE -

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...-bench-copies/

Bob Thompson.

I had embarassingly forgotten about the Bench Copies. All the aforementioned added. Thanks for the great recommendations Brian!

jt1 01-06-2021 04:40 AM

Gotta add Preston Thompson to the list!

Rmccamey 01-06-2021 04:44 AM

I don't understand the end result you are looking to achieve. You come up with a list of lutiers who build Martin inspired guitars or Martin clones. So...........what would I do with such a list? If I call a luthier not on the list and ask if they could build a Martin clone and they say "Yes" does that then qualify them to be on the list? If I call a luthier not on the list and ask if they had ever built a Martin clone in the past and they say "Yes" does that qualify them to be on the list? If I call a luthier on the list and ask if they build Martin clones and they say "No" would they get taken off the list? Is the list luthiers we, the general public, "think" build Martin clones or luthiers who actually state that they build Martin clones?

Sorry, it just seems like this list could or should contain the vast majority of luthiers who build or who have ever built a steel string guitar. I appreciate the discussion and viewpoints given, I just do not see much purpose for this long list of luthiers that will never be completely accurate.

justonwo 01-06-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmccamey (Post 6596872)
I don't understand the end result you are looking to achieve. You come up with a list of lutiers who build Martin inspired guitars or Martin clones. So...........what would I do with such a list? If I call a luthier not on the list and ask if they could build a Martin clone and they say "Yes" does that then qualify them to be on the list? If I call a luthier not on the list and ask if they had ever built a Martin clone in the past and they say "Yes" does that qualify them to be on the list? If I call a luthier on the list and ask if they build Martin clones and they say "No" would they get taken off the list? Is the list luthiers we, the general public, "think" build Martin clones or luthiers who actually state that they build Martin clones?

Sorry, it just seems like this list could or should contain the vast majority of luthiers who build or who have ever built a steel string guitar. I appreciate the discussion and viewpoints given, I just do not see much purpose for this long list of luthiers that will never be completely accurate.

Knowing Matthew, he was just trying to annoy people. I’m offended I wasn’t included on the list as one of the forum’s foremost authorities on back seat luthierie.

Bruce Sexauer 01-06-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 6597248)
Knowing Matthew, he was just trying to annoy people. I’m offended I wasn’t included on the list as one of the forum’s foremost authorities on back seat luthierie.

:) :) :) :) :)