The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Curious about re-fretting costs (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277646)

picassov7 12-28-2012 10:00 PM

Curious about re-fretting costs

I've had my guitar for a couple years now and just really love it. I definitely see it as being a lifer and enjoy upgrading it in different ways. I have added a bone nut and saddle. I got some great dyed, bone pins for it. I modified a case to be able to pack it around on my back. Now, I am looking at getting a custom truss rod cover for it. In the future I would like to swap out the frets for gold evowire frets as both a functional and aesthetic upgrade.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the approximate cost for re-fretting a guitar assuming that I provided the materials and knowing that it has a bound fretboard? Also, has anyone ever changed the binding type/color or removed the binding from the fretboard when doing so?

Thanks in advance.

rick-slo 12-28-2012 10:06 PM

For a bound fretboard expect $400 to $500, maybe a little less depending on where you go. There is usually an upcharge on stainless steel frets. Not sure about evo gold.
The materials are cheap so having your own fretwire makes little difference.

Glennwillow 12-28-2012 10:22 PM

I think Rick's numbers are about right for today's pricing...

- Glenn

DenverSteve 12-28-2012 11:05 PM

Since you're in China, your price will likely have little relationship to anyone else's pricing. You probably should check locally to get a price for your re-fret.

picassov7 12-29-2012 12:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I would plan on doing this type of work after I return to the States, so will plan on that pricing.

What about swapping/removing binding? Any ideas? I really don't care for the ivoroid bound fretboard and would like to go with bare or black. Not sure how that would look, but it is an idea.

seagull27 12-29-2012 03:38 AM

Hi there

I am in the UK, so pricing could well be different. However, I've just been looking into the cost to have this done on one of my guitars and so far I have been quoted £90 (including set up) and £150 (including set up). I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of others.

Like yours, my guitar has a bound fingerboard.

Cheers

Max

picassov7 12-29-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seagull27 (Post 3294397)
Hi there

I am in the UK, so pricing could well be different. However, I've just been looking into the cost to have this done on one of my guitars and so far I have been quoted £90 (including set up) and £150 (including set up). I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of others.

Like yours, my guitar has a bound fingerboard.

Cheers

Max

Max--I appreciate the response. This is more in the ballpark of what I was expecting it to cost. Furthermore, I don't know of too many things that cost me less in the UK than in the US (except maybe Single Malt Scotch;))

Judson 12-29-2012 07:57 AM

I had first five frets replaced recently for $10 per fret by a Martin authorized guitar tech.

picassov7 12-29-2012 05:38 PM

Thanks Blackville for another reference point.

Has no one unbound their fretboard before?

Bruce Sexauer 12-29-2012 06:38 PM

When I'm willing to do it, I charge $225 bound or unbound. Strictly while you wait. Takes about 2 1/2 hours including hello and goodbye. No upcharge for EVO, don't do SS.

Ed422 12-29-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackville (Post 3294499)
I had first five frets replaced recently for $10 per fret by a Martin authorized guitar tech.

I haven't needed any done for a while but standard around here for a long time was $50 for the first fret and $10 each after that with a $100 minimum.

Ed

picassov7 12-29-2012 08:24 PM

Thanks again everyone for the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 3295360)
When I'm willing to do it, I charge $225 bound or unbound. Strictly while you wait. Takes about 2 1/2 hours including hello and goodbye. No upcharge for EVO, don't do SS.

Bruce--This is a tempting offer coming from a skilled craftsman like yourself. If I plan on being in the Bay area I may look you up to see if you have time for the work. Have you ever removed the binding from a fretboard and left it off or replaced it with a different type?