The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Martin Magnifico strings. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534605)

sirwhale 04-08-2019 12:35 AM

I need to try these strings.

The overall tension of the Magnificos high tension is reported at 46.7 kg.

The overall tension of the new Granato strings I am using is 49 kg.

(Both made by Aquila)

I do not notice anything 'tense' about the Granato strings and they are a joy to play. If anything I'd prefer the High E string to just be slightly tenser for when tuning down to D.

pf400 04-11-2019 08:01 AM

Sorry, really don't like the tones from most of the newer-packaged Martin acoustic strings. Tinny to my ears. Pro Arte nylons for me, D'Addarrio for steel.

redir 04-11-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pf400 (Post 6033349)
Sorry, really don't like the tones from most of the newer-packaged Martin acoustic strings. Tinny to my ears. Pro Arte nylons for me, D'Addarrio for steel.

I could have posted this exact same comment. I've never come across a set of Martin strings that I liked. However; I will try these just - because :D

RJVB 04-11-2019 08:28 AM

Yeah, they definitely don't sound tinny ... even on resonator.

Not cheap and plasticky either, like every ProArte nylon I've tried.

Paraclete 04-13-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pf400 (Post 6033349)

Wait....we are talking about classical guitar strings, not acoustic. There is nothing tinny at all about the Magnifico strings, unless you happen to have a very tinny sounding guitar. And honestly, these are Aquila-produced.

RJVB 04-14-2019 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paraclete (Post 6035737)
And honestly, these are Aquila-produced.

Not the basses if you have to trust the "made in Mexico" label on their paper pouches (the trebles say "made in Italy, packaged in Mexico"). Could still be an Aquila design, I haven't been able to figure that out.

dkstott 04-18-2019 09:15 AM

I gave these a try & just didn't like them. To my humble ears, they just didn't sound quite right. For lack of a better explanation, they sounded like dead phosphor bronze strings.

I'm back to Savarez Cantiga Normal Tension basses paired with Savarez Alliance High Tension trebles.

Dave

RJVB 04-19-2019 03:16 AM

The trebles do sound a bit closed-off the first few days, esp. compared to HT Alliance trebles. How long did you give them to open up?

Also, the basses seem to have a pretty high tension (in the high tension set at least). If you're used to normal tension basses that could also explain the "deadness" (and in my experience the Cantiga sound considerably more metallic, pardon, brighter).

dkstott 04-19-2019 07:34 AM

I gave them about a month of use.. typical 1 1/2 - 2 hours of playing daily.

It wasn't the tension so much as the "dead" sound.. The Cantiga basses do have some metallic sound for the 1st week or so, but it goes away.

I have found that the new Cantiga Premium Basses don't have that initial sound and last longer than the standard Cantiga's.

Sorry, but these just don't have the sound that I like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJVB (Post 6040272)
The trebles do sound a bit closed-off the first few days, esp. compared to HT Alliance trebles. How long did you give them to open up?

Also, the basses seem to have a pretty high tension (in the high tension set at least). If you're used to normal tension basses that could also explain the "deadness" (and in my experience the Cantiga sound considerably more metallic, pardon, brighter).