The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Highly Figured Cocobolo Hatcher SJ Build (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227187)

Rod True 09-29-2011 12:46 PM

Looking great Mark!
Since you are putting a purfling under the heal cap to match the side purfling, I'd go with matching the binding for a clean look. IMO the coco cap will sort of stick out behind the ebony binding.

Huckleberry 09-29-2011 01:19 PM

That guitar is looking truly spectacular!

I prefer the ebony heel cap as, particularly with the matched purfling line, I think the design will flow better.

songsender 09-29-2011 03:12 PM

I also prefer the heel cap matching the binding in this case.

Mark Hatcher 09-29-2011 04:58 PM

A Third Choice

Thanks for the replies. Seems the tie in to the binding is what is driving most of us toward the black Ebony choice for the heel cap.
So what if we take the binding around the Cocobolo? It would still have the black-white-black beneath the cap and of course the binding would actually be flush. What do you think now? Is this just getting a little carried away? Or is it the best of both worlds?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/...6d934259_z.jpg

jayriley 09-29-2011 05:41 PM

this one!!! i love the sapwood and the ebony

dirt1966 09-29-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayriley (Post 2778255)
this one!!! i love the sapwood and the ebony

Oh yes, love that

Huckleberry 09-30-2011 02:28 AM

That looks really good too.

Not 100% sure on the continuity with the dark binding line cutting across the heel cap. This may be too much, but is it an option to remove the binding and purfling across the heel cap area, sit the hellcap right against the cocobolo on the back, and run the back purfling line around the edge of the heel cap too? That would look like the back binding and purfling running round the heel cap as a coherent band.

dlowry 09-30-2011 02:51 AM

Quote:

Since you are putting a purfling under the heal cap to match the side purfling, I'd go with matching the binding for a clean look. IMO the coco cap will sort of stick out behind the ebony binding.
+1

And since I need 10 words, here they are.

Mark Hatcher 09-30-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckleberry (Post 2778545)
That looks really good too.

Not 100% sure on the continuity with the dark binding line cutting across the heel cap. This may be too much, but is it an option to remove the binding and purfling across the heel cap area, sit the hellcap right against the cocobolo on the back, and run the back purfling line around the edge of the heel cap too? That would look like the back binding and purfling running round the heel cap as a coherent band.

Thanks for sticking with this. I know what your saying here. You see that look sometimes on classical guitars where the back wood is just extended out over the heel cap. I would have a couple concerns in retrofitting that. One would be that the cap and the back are at two different heights and that joint just might not look "finished" enough. The other concern would be that it would become a mess if the guitar needed to get a neck reset.

Here's a picture of another Josie model like this one that has the Ebony cap

http://www.hatcherguitars.com/wp-con...ry-Healcap.jpg

Please keep the comments coming, I appreciate the feedback. Isn't it amazing how much can go into just a heel cap?

Thanks Again

roberts 09-30-2011 05:38 AM

Hey Mark - Beautiful work! Are you here in Central Jersey?

Mark Hatcher 09-30-2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberts (Post 2778618)
Hey Mark - Beautiful work! Are you here in Central Jersey?

Thanks! Yes, I'm in Freehold NJ

apt 09-30-2011 08:02 AM

I'm not a builder and I don't understand 90% of the technical jargon used on this forum, but I have to say how impressed I am by the exquisite craftsmanship of builders like Mark. You guys are simply amazing. You have made guitar building truly a fine art. And I really mean art. This guitar belongs on the pages of an art history textbook.

Mark Hatcher 09-30-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apt (Post 2778782)
I'm not a builder and I don't understand 90% of the technical jargon used on this forum, but I have to say how impressed I am by the exquisite craftsmanship of builders like Mark. You guys are simply amazing. You have made guitar building truly a fine art. And I really mean art. This guitar belongs on the pages of an art history textbook.

Wow! Thanks for the compliment. Like you, I believe we are now in a golden age of guitar building. Steel string guitars have never looked or sounded better than they do right now. I'm humbled that you've included me among the really great builders on this site from whom I draw so much inspiration.

roberts 09-30-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 2778700)
Thanks! Yes, I'm in Freehold NJ

I'm right up the road in Morganville. Would love to drop by the shop and see your stuff. Please let me know how i can arrange this or drop me a PM. Great to have another talented builder representing the beautiful Garden State:)

Robert

Mark Hatcher 09-30-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roberts (Post 2779347)
I'm right up the road in Morganville. Would love to drop by the shop and see your stuff. Please let me know how i can arrange this or drop me a PM. Great to have another talented builder representing the beautiful Garden State:)

Robert

I'll send you a PM. Look forward to meeting you!