The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Local AGF group jams??? Do they exist? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525428)

GuitarFundi 10-18-2018 08:17 PM

Local AGF group jams??? Do they exist?

Just wondering if there are any local AGF get togethers? I live in Austin.

_Tachyon_ 10-18-2018 09:17 PM

There should be a forum just for this purpose... :D

Kerbie 10-18-2018 09:26 PM

You can form a social group if you like. Seems to me the groups have been used more in the past than they are now, but I think they are still allowed.

tdq 10-18-2018 10:17 PM

I was in a couple but people haven't posted in them for literally years. I can't even find the groups now. I always thought it would be fun to have an Aussie group, for example. An Aussie jam/get together would be fun.

guitarwebguy 10-18-2018 10:46 PM

I travel a bit and would love to find a local jam to sit in with - a group to talk about that would be great or contacts who already know of jams in their locale would be great to know about

GuitarFundi 10-19-2018 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Tachyon_ (Post 5866690)

This is what I was hoping for ;-)

mercy 10-19-2018 08:14 AM

Im not seeing it on my page

Mary 10-19-2018 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarFundi (Post 5866662)
Just wondering if there are any local AGF get togethers? I live in Austin.

Ohhhh, this sounds like a song waitin' to happen. ;)

Glennwillow 10-19-2018 08:52 AM

I have been to a maybe a half dozen AGF gatherings over the years and they were a lot of fun, meeting new people and learning about their guitars.

In general, they were not jams, however. They usually ended up as song circles.

The announcements for these events were usually placed in the EVENTS AND NEW RELEASES section of the forum, and that seemed to work well. So in my experience, we already have a place on the forum for announcing these types of events.

It's a lot of work to put one of these events on, so different people need to take on the burden of hosting these events. And sometimes nobody comes, and that's disheartening.

- Glenn

Earl49 10-19-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 5866963)
It's a lot of work to put one of these events on, so different people need to take on the burden of hosting these events. And sometimes nobody comes, and that's disheartening.

I'll second what Glenn says -- it is a lot of work. I spearheaded the Carbon Fest in Phoenix last February, where nine of us regulars from the CF room got together for a sampling party, trying a total of 23 carbon fiber guitars. Although we are going to Phoenix again next week (on short notice) I made no real effort to organize anything this time.

I'm up for attending almost any gathering within comfortable driving distance. But we are all scattered around the country, and around the planet.

Mary 10-19-2018 09:19 AM

This is why we have the McJam each June for a weekend of fun and music. Many are AGF members, but that's not a requirement.

We limit it to no more than 50, but we average 35 people. We have a small fee so I can afford to feed everyone. We have it at our home shop so people can see where McKnight Guitars are made and meet the luthier. This is the time to meet other customers and to discuss any guitar they want to discuss. They don't have to be a customer. Just have to enjoy and appreciate the art of guitars and respect the others who are playing. There are motels 10 minutes down the road but we have had a few times someone would pack a tent or sleep in a clean man cave shed. We have open mic, but nobody is required to sing or play. Husbands come with friends or they bring the wife. Our event is no alcohol. A few locals will bring food.

I give door prizes. So far nobody has ever left empty handed or hungry!

Attendees have come from all over Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvania, Michigan, western and southern states, Eastern states, Nova Scotia. We have one AGF member who is an attendee who Skypes but has never been here but because he lives in Australia!

If Ohio is doable driving wise get in touch with Tim or me and I can add your email to the McJam list.

shekie 10-19-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5866695)
You can form a social group if you like. Seems to me the groups have been used more in the past than they are now, but I think they are still allowed.

I looked for 'group memberships" in my public profile but am unable to find anything by that description. Could you elaborate how to find the list of groups? Thanks.

lowrider 10-19-2018 12:51 PM

I think a new forum or page or just a listing of jam groups across the country would be a big asset to this community. I play with a group twice a month and I only found them because of a post that Toby Walker put up about the group. We have so many solo, only play at home players who really could use some help finding a group to ply with.

I am by far the weakest link in my group, but they are always encouraging and willing to help me. Sometimes I'll just stop playing to watch one of the good players. I've become a singer thanks to their encouragement. Maybe not a good singer but I am willing to belt it out. It's all for fun and I've come so much further as a player since I started with the group than I ever could have playing at home.

And when I got a really good guitar recently, a five-year-old Martin custom shop OM-18, I had someone to take it to hear how great it sounds with a good player!

Bob Womack 10-19-2018 04:09 PM

John ("Cakes") hosted "Cakestock" every year for several years. It was a blast. I've thought of a similar event but the logistics have always drawn me up.

Bob

Kerbie 10-19-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shekie (Post 5867128)
I looked for 'group memberships" in my public profile but am unable to find anything by that description. Could you elaborate how to find the list of groups? Thanks.

My apologies... the admins apparently disabled the social groups earlier this year.

Tico 10-19-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5867551)
My apologies... the admins apparently disabled the social groups earlier this year.

Many of the guitars we admit to owning are expensive, and this is the internet with global reach.

Given security concerns and liability I'm astonished any website facilitates get togethers.

Never in a zillion years would I attend or host such an event.
Sadly, the world has changed.

Jeff Scott 10-19-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Tachyon_ (Post 5866690)

Most other forums do have such, this forum being a blatant exception.

TomB'sox 10-19-2018 08:00 PM

I don't agree with Tico's post at all...In fact, I am planning an event right now if anyone is interested. Go look in the custom section and you will see it. We will have security on site via armed off duty police as well as security cameras, also an area like a coat room with an attendant to check guitars in and out...

To be honest, although addressing security it was not my biggest concern. We will have luthiers, workshops, concerts, Michael Watts coming in from England, food, drinks, and hopefully lots of impromptu playing.

Let me know if interested. We have a very nice group of people coming so far and we are very excited. Luthiers include, Bruce Sexauer, Jason Kostal, Ben Wilborn, Steve Kinnaird, Ryan Middlebrook, Edwinson guitars, Two Hands Guitar Co. and Gerry Humphrey who makes custom acoustic amps.

Just sayin...

Tico 10-19-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5867596)
I don't agree with Tico's post at all...

No problem.
To each their own.

I do wish you all the best on your event. :)

I do attend many events locally, but none where the location, date, & time is published on the Internet or emailed or texted to the applicants.
Post cards with date, time and location are snail-mailed to the physical address of those who'd like to attend.
IDs are checked at the door.

Mbroady 10-19-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tico (Post 5867556)
Many of the guitars we admit to owning are expensive, and this is the internet with global reach.

Given security concerns and liability I'm astonished any website facilitates get togethers.

Never in a zillion years would I attend or host such an event.
Sadly, the world has changed.

In regards to liability and the Forum facilitating a gathering, I’m not a legal expert so I don’t have a clue

But when I was living in NYC I went to several AGF gatherings, some in a private residence and one in a common room of a high rise. All of them were a blast and I got to play some amazing guitar and hang out with wonderful people. Yes, we should always stay vigilant about scammers, thieves, and seedy characters, but not to the point of not having some fun.

Johnny K 10-19-2018 09:19 PM

I think Meet Up is a good place to find what you're looking for. I am subscribed to many groups and it's not hard to find a jam.

Glennwillow 10-19-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5867596)
I don't agree with Tico's post at all...In fact, I am planning an event right now if anyone is interested. Go look in the custom section and you will see it. We will have security on site via armed off duty police as well as security cameras, also an area like a coat room with an attendant to check guitars in and out...

To be honest, although addressing security it was not my biggest concern. We will have luthiers, workshops, concerts, Michael Watts coming in from England, food, drinks, and hopefully lots of impromptu playing.

Let me know if interested. We have a very nice group of people coming so far and we are very excited. Luthiers include, Bruce Sexauer, Jason Kostal, Ben Wilborn, Steve Kinnaird, Ryan Middlebrook, Edwinson guitars, Two Hands Guitar Co. and Gerry Humphrey who makes custom acoustic amps.

Just sayin...

Wow, Tom!

This sounds wonderful! Good for you! I wish you the best on this event!

- Glenn

TomB'sox 10-19-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 5867659)
Wow, Tom!

This sounds wonderful! Good for you! I wish you the best on this event!

- Glenn

Thank you, It has been a lot of work so far, but if we get good attendance it will be a success and something we would like to do annually and make it better each year. I feel like my wife and I have planned a great event, but we can't force people to come LOL.

tippy5 10-19-2018 11:48 PM

Anyone want to acoustic jam between San Luis and LA CA please let me know.

Kerbie 10-20-2018 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Scott (Post 5867585)
Most other forums do have such, this forum being a blatant exception.

As Glennwillow pointed out, the AGF has an entire subforum dedicated to, Events and New Releases. The description of that subforum reads, "Announce upcoming events of interest to acoustic guitar players."

bobbybones 10-20-2018 10:20 AM

I live in south jersey, cherry hill area. I have been looking to join a group for a while now but no luck finding one.
Anyone in my area interested ?

billder99 10-20-2018 10:44 AM

For my 2 cents worth, song circles are more interesting than jams... play along if you know the song, otherwise everyone gets to showcase what they like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 5866963)
I have been to a maybe a half dozen AGF gatherings over the years... In general, they were not jams, however. They usually ended up as song circles.

Glennwillow 10-20-2018 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billder99 (Post 5868079)
For my 2 cents worth, song circles are more interesting than jams... play along if you know the song, otherwise everyone gets to showcase what they like.

I very much agree! In fact, on occasion I remember someone trying to start a jam and it really was not terribly successful since only a few players had the skills to contribute.

- Glenn

GuitarFundi 10-22-2018 06:58 PM

I just want to sit and play with someone who is kind and generous with their knowledge and I will be kind and generous with what I know which is admittedly not much. So, I guess that means a "circle" as opposed to a "jam".

guitarwebguy 10-22-2018 09:16 PM

Song circles are great - I’m part of a local group here (Fairbanks, AK) that hosts a weekly “jam/song circle” that is open to all acoustic players and vocalists, regardless of skill or instrument. We’ve been doing it for 20 years, places have changed, people have changed but we get anywhere from 5-15 people and it often generates a house party at least monthly as well as local seasonal gatherings. They do work but you do have to be willing to figure out how to make it work.