The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best upgrade option for Martin with Fishman Matrix VT Enhance (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577764)

JackB1 04-10-2020 08:42 AM

Best upgrade option for Martin with Fishman Matrix VT Enhance

OK my Martin 15 has a Fishman Matrix VT Enhanced pickup system, which isn't bad, but I would like to upgrade it to something better. The Enhance transducer adds body sounds but it also makes the overall sound of the guitar too bright for my tastes.

Since its already got the Matrix undersaddle and the Enhanced transducer, what would be the easiest upgrade? I would love to just replace the enhance transducer with a microphone like the one that comes with the Anthem, but I don't think it's possible to mix an Anthem mic with the Matrix undersaddle pickup. So is there any way I can add a Fishman mic to this system and reuse the existing connections and battery compartment? Maybe I could disconnect and remove the Enhance transducer and connect a Fishman mic instead?

or....

leave everything inside the guitar alone and add an external pedal to improve the sound? I know the Tonedexter works well with the Matrix, but if I went that route, should I disconnect the enhance transducer?

SpruceTop 04-10-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6344214)
OK my Martin 15 has a Fishman Matrix VT Enhanced pickup system, which isn't bad, but I would like to upgrade it to something better. The Enhance transducer adds body sounds but it also makes the overall sound of the guitar too bright for my tastes.

Since its already got the Matrix undersaddle and the Enhanced transducer, what would be the easiest upgrade? I would love to just replace the enhance transducer with a microphone like the one that comes with the Anthem, but I don't think it's possible to mix an Anthem mic with the Matrix undersaddle pickup. So is there any way I can add a Fishman mic to this system and reuse the existing connections and battery compartment? Maybe I could disconnect and remove the Enhance transducer and connect a Fishman mic instead?

or....

leave everything inside the guitar alone and add an external pedal to improve the sound? I know the Tonedexter works well with the Matrix, but if I went that route, should I disconnect the enhance transducer?

Leave the Enhance transducer where it is and just dial its signal out with your onboard control. Get a Fishman Aura Pedal or a ToneDexter and route your Martin's Matrix's output through one of these devices with an appropriate Aura Image or ToneDexter WaveMap. Then, if you want, just for kicks, try dialing-in a minimal amount of the Enhance transducer just to hear what the total blend sounds like.

rmp 04-10-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6344276)
Leave the Enhance transducer where it is and just dial its signal out with your onboard control. Get a Fishman Aura Pedal or a ToneDexter and route your Martin's Matrix's output through one of these devices with an appropriate Aura Image or a ToneDexter WaveMap.

yes, agree w/SpruceTop, probably the best way to go.

Eliminating mods to your guitar to me is the first path to take. Especially if the preamp is mounted on the side wall (Barn door..) no idea if yours has that...

I use a tonedexter with 5 different acoustics, including a nylon and a 12 string.

IMHO it is the GREAT Equalizer (Pardon the pun) in the battle to get USTs to not sound like USTs.

I usually don't leave home with out it....

JackB1 04-10-2020 09:58 AM

Wouldn't it be better to disconnect the enhance part so that the aura or tonedexter is getting a 100% signal from the Matrix undersaddle? Im not sure if just dialing it out completely takes it out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6344276)
Leave the Enhance transducer where it is and just dial its signal out with your onboard control. Get a Fishman Aura Pedal or a ToneDexter and route your Martin's Matrix's output through one of these devices with an appropriate Aura Image or ToneDexter WaveMap. Then, if you want, just for kicks, try dialing-in a minimal amount of the Enhance transducer just to hear what the total blend sounds like.

SpruceTop 04-10-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6344311)
Wouldn't it be better to disconnect the enhance part so that the aura or tonedexter is getting a 100% signal from the Matrix undersaddle? Im not sure if just dialing it out completely takes it out?

Good question! Going by the Fishman Aura VT Enhance that I had in my long-gone 2016 Martin GPC-18E, if I remember correctly, the onboard control would completely dial-out the Enhance signal. I don't know if the same applies to the Matrix VT Enhance. The Enhance transducer could likely be disconnected quite easily, though.

My disappointment in the Enhance transducer was that it only seemed to deliver midrange and treble vibrations to the signal mix and gave the overall output a brittle tonality. I was thinking that the tonal spectrum of the Enhance could maybe be adjusted by a trim pot or choke on the main preamp circuit board that could add in more bass response but I never got around to contacting Martin or Fishman about any circuit board provision for doing this. The way the Enhance is factory set up is to deliver body percussion without increasing the feedback potential that is associated with the full-range output of an SBT. I wish the Enhance's frequency response could have been easily adjustable to player taste, and I think Martin missed the boat on making these VT systems sound really good.

JackB1 04-10-2020 11:45 AM

I agree. The enhance function is a double edged sword. Yes it increases the presence and body sounds but it also makes the overall sound too bright or "brittle" as you say. What I've been doing is turning it up for tapping loop sounds and then turn it down for normal chord playing. Like you said, I wish it was more adjustable. It is a good idea but not implemented in the best way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6344340)
Good question! Going by the Fishman Aura VT Enhance that I had in my long-gone 2016 Martin GPC-18E, if I remember correctly, the onboard control would completely dial-out the Enhance signal. I don't know if the same applies to the Matrix VT Enhance. The Enhance transducer could likely be disconnected quite easily, though.

My disappointment in the Enhance transducer was that it only seemed to deliver midrange and treble vibrations to the signal mix and gave the overall output a brittle tonality. I was thinking that the tonal spectrum of the Enhance could maybe be adjusted by a trim pot or choke on the main preamp circuit board that could add in more bass response but I never got around to contacting Martin or Fishman about any circuit board provision for doing this. The way the Enhance is factory set up is to deliver body percussion without increasing the feedback potential that is associated with the full-range output of an SBT. I wish the Enhance's frequency response could have been easily adjustable to player taste, and I think Martin missed the boat on making these VT systems sound really good.

Petty1818 04-10-2020 02:33 PM

I haven't heard many good reviews of the Enhance body sensor. I was intrigued by the new Power Tap systems but if the enhance is that bright/thin then I can't see it being all that useful.

I agree though, the easiest thing would be to turn down the Enhance and then use a TD or Aura. Currently I am using an Aura/Matrix set up and it's quite nice. It's probably a better set up than the TD to be honest and it really is about as plug and play as it gets. I find that with the TD, I need to turn the wavemap up quite a bit to get rid of the quack of the Matrix but by that point, the wavemap cuts too much low end. I don't fnd the same issue with the Aura imaging. The Aura is a lot easier to dial in.

JackB1 04-11-2020 07:14 AM

Which Aura pedal do you use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petty1818 (Post 6344610)
I haven't heard many good reviews of the Enhance body sensor. I was intrigued by the new Power Tap systems but if the enhance is that bright/thin then I can't see it being all that useful.

I agree though, the easiest thing would be to turn down the Enhance and then use a TD or Aura. Currently I am using an Aura/Matrix set up and it's quite nice. It's probably a better set up than the TD to be honest and it really is about as plug and play as it gets. I find that with the TD, I need to turn the wavemap up quite a bit to get rid of the quack of the Matrix but by that point, the wavemap cuts too much low end. I don't fnd the same issue with the Aura imaging. The Aura is a lot easier to dial in.

Petty1818 04-11-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6345204)
Which Aura pedal do you use?

Just the Spectrum DI. It’s still a great unit!

Coop47 04-11-2020 11:18 AM

Another vote for the Aura Spectrum, though I'm annoyed it appears they stopped adding images to download. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Great unit that allows you to blend in the image. Also a decent tuner, EQ, compressor and feedback suppressor. Should work well with your current set-up.

SpruceTop 04-11-2020 02:45 PM

Aura Spectrum DI, here too.

JackB1 04-11-2020 09:06 PM

Thanks guys. Seems like the Aura Spectrum DI is a good choice here.

jonfields45 04-12-2020 06:27 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned ToneDexter. Then you are not a slave to the Fishman library and can also load third party IRs, such as mine, if you like.

JackB1 04-13-2020 10:38 AM

I think it was mentioned, but I heard that the Aura does a better job of taming the quack from the Matrix undersaddle p/u. Also with the Tonedexter, you also need a quality condenser mic, which would be an additional expense for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 6346386)
I'm surprised no one has mentioned ToneDexter. Then you are not a slave to the Fishman library and can also load third party IRs, such as mine, if you like.

Petty1818 04-13-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6347816)
I think it was mentioned, but I heard that the Aura does a better job of taming the quack from the Matrix undersaddle p/u. Also with the Tonedexter, you also need a quality condenser mic, which would be an additional expense for me.

Both will tame the quack. The big difference for me is that the Aura is far easier to set up. The Tonedexter takes experimentation and in some situations it can be difficult to dial in live.