The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Any suggestions on recording a HarpGuitar (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684245)

Riakstonic 04-06-2024 09:58 AM

Any suggestions on recording a HarpGuitar

I use mics but my main issue is getting the Base notes more out front especially because they’re drones ( Octaves ) in most cases .

I’m wondering if pencil mic/ mics would be better if placed more directly at the Bass strings ?

Thanks [emoji4]

DupleMeter 04-06-2024 07:53 PM

What do you have available, and how are you currently setting up?

rick-slo 04-06-2024 08:26 PM

Seems like there are good suggestions in link below. Remember you can alway tweak up the volume of the lower frequences post recording (equalizer, etc.) if you wish.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-u...%20lower%20one.

Doug Young 04-06-2024 10:36 PM

It's been a long time since I tried to record a harp guitar, but I suspect the issue with the bass strings is not all that different from a baritone guitar. With that, I've had the best luck with adding a pickup to the mix. The pickup can just help get a more direct, present sound from low bass strings. But experimenting with mic placement is always a good idea.

I've had some conversations about recording with Alex Anderson, who gets some great sounds from his harp guitar, he might be willing to share some tips if you reach out to him.

Riakstonic 04-08-2024 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Young (Post 7440378)
It's been a long time since I tried to record a harp guitar, but I suspect the issue with the bass strings is not all that different from a baritone guitar. With that, I've had the best luck with adding a pickup to the mix. The pickup can just help get a more direct, present sound from low bass strings. But experimenting with mic placement is always a good idea.

I've had some conversations about recording with Alex Anderson, who gets some great sounds from his harp guitar, he might be willing to share some tips if you reach out to him.

Thanks Doug , Is Alex a member here ?

Riakstonic 04-08-2024 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 7440335)
Seems like there are good suggestions in link below. Remember you can alway tweak up the volume of the lower frequences post recording (equalizer, etc.) if you wish.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/mic-u...%20lower%20one.

Thanks I’ll check it out . [emoji4]

Riakstonic 04-08-2024 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DupleMeter (Post 7440327)
What do you have available, and how are you currently setting up?

One pencil,mic , rest are condenser’s . I find in most cases that 16 -18 inches away give take depending on how hard or soft I play and about 24” apart works best . My left points to the 12th fret mostly the right one moves about a bit be it up /down or point direction such as the bridge , sound hole, lower bout etc .

I’m pretty simple . Audient id44 into Reason 10 . I’m new to Harp and just an average player so nothing fancy here . lol [emoji23]

I record stereo and was thinking to add a third channel for the pencil mic having focused on the bass strings . Not had a chance to try it yet though this coming weekend would be next opportunity. I’d also need another mic stand .

j3ffr0 04-08-2024 07:37 AM

My harp has a Sixtus long bar installed for the bass notes and I always record that sometimes I will mix in just a little bit of it, but I don't always want/need it.

There could also be some nodes and nulls in the room you are recording in. Beyond treatment, the Little Labs VoG can sometimes correct for a null on an important note or provide some weight to the bottom.

In my experience, moving a pencil closer to the bass strings won't help at all. It will in crease the proximity effect and make everything poofy and muddy down low... Although pointed at the bass strings, it will still pick up everything else.

LAPlayer 04-08-2024 08:49 AM

What type of "pencil" mic are you using? Dynamic, large diaphragm condenser, small diaphragm condenser, ribbon? They won't record the same.

Doug Young 04-08-2024 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riakstonic (Post 7440966)
Thanks Doug , Is Alex a member here ?

I don't know, but you could reach him thru his website: https://alexharpguitar.com/

Here's an example of Alex's recording (and you can see some of his mic setup)

Riakstonic 04-08-2024 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPlayer (Post 7441084)
What type of "pencil" mic are you using? Dynamic, large diaphragm condenser, small diaphragm condenser, ribbon? They won't record the same.

It’s a condenser MXL 102 I think ? lol

Riakstonic 04-08-2024 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Young (Post 7441153)
I don't know, but you could reach him thru his website: https://alexharpguitar.com/

Here's an example of Alex's recording (and you can see some of his mic setup)

Wow very nice . Yeah pickups and mic . Adding pickups won’t happen anytime soon unfortunately. Thanks again Doug .

LAPlayer 04-08-2024 11:17 AM

The believe the 102 is a Neuman. I also believe (not a recording engineer but have done a lot of recording) most MXL pencils are small-diaphragm condensers. I would try a dynamic mic for more bass response in your recordings. Then play with placement.

Riakstonic 04-08-2024 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3ffr0 (Post 7441050)
My harp has a Sixtus long bar installed for the bass notes and I always record that sometimes I will mix in just a little bit of it, but I don't always want/need it.

There could also be some nodes and nulls in the room you are recording in. Beyond treatment, the Little Labs VoG can sometimes correct for a null on an important note or provide some weight to the bottom.

In my experience, moving a pencil closer to the bass strings won't help at all. It will in crease the proximity effect and make everything poofy and muddy down low... Although pointed at the bass strings, it will still pick up everything else.

Sixtus yeah I believe Jamie dupuis used that at one time . Was thinking of getting one after that . I’m just getting started on harp guitar . Trying to work the bass tuning around my open tunings is tad puzzling . lol [emoji23]

Riakstonic 04-08-2024 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAPlayer (Post 7441170)
The believe the 102 is a Neuman. I also believe (not a recording engineer but have done a lot of recording) most MXL pencils are small-diaphragm condensers. I would try a dynamic mic for more bass response in your recordings. Then play with placement.

Ok I do have one of those it’s one of old style types . Haha [emoji23]