The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   GHS Strings, the best I've played (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542540)

SuperB23 03-28-2019 07:54 PM

GHS Strings, the best I've played

After playing heavily for the last 25 years and owning over 300 high end guitars in total. GHS Phosphor Bronze Strings have become my goto. I particularly like their True Medium sets which are like a medium/light DADGAD set. I've tried nearly every brand and these have become my favorite. Their packaging seems to allow for always fresh strings too. I like the standard PB ones a lot, I haven't tried the Signature Bronze.

Anyway a good friend recommend them to me and I'm super glad he did. I usually don't post glowing reviews about things like this but I thought I'd share, try them if you haven't.

hotroad 03-28-2019 08:23 PM

Like the OP, I too just tried GHS Vintage Bronze and wow, they are amazing. I have played for 40 years and never found strings I like as much as these. They are a little bright but that is what I am after for my new Martin 000-17 12 fret mahogany slotted.

Steadfastly 03-28-2019 08:53 PM

You are not the first person to praise the GHS Strings. There must be something to them.

jemartin 03-29-2019 05:52 AM

Yes... They are good strings... I would agree. I just (last night)..ordered 2 sets of the True Medium Signature Bronze for my Taylors. I have a set of the Silk and Bronze in cue for the 12 string next. I am happy with GHS strings.

Tnfiddler 03-29-2019 06:04 AM

Looks like I'm going to have to put my set of LJ Signature Series mediums on the Bourgeois this weekend! I loved them on my Taylor W10ce, so I'm hoping I get the same results with the slope-shoulder.

rokdog49 03-29-2019 06:08 AM

I have a set of the Vintage Bronze on my J45 right now. They sound great.
I used to use the Lawrence Juber Signature Bronze exclusively on my Taylor 310e

martingitdave 03-29-2019 06:11 AM

I’ve been using the GHS Americana strings when I can find them. I like the tone and extra tension/volume.

jwhelan56 03-29-2019 06:13 AM

Which particular ones? These, or ??

https://www.ghsstrings.com/products/...hosphor-bronze

Thanks!

Tim McKnight 03-29-2019 06:15 AM

I’m another fan of their Vintage Bronze strings. For some reason their standard phosphor bronze strings turn my fingers black. Anyone else experience this?

rokdog49 03-29-2019 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McKnight (Post 6021335)
I’m another fan of their Vintage Bronze strings. For some reason their standard phosphor bronze strings turn my fingers black. Anyone else experience this?

Yes the Signature Bronze did that to me. I just thought it was me, but only a couple of other brands ever did that. I have no issues with the Vintage Bronze.

MIGAS79 03-29-2019 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 6021329)
I have a set of the Vintage Bronze on my J45 right now. They sound great.
I used to use the Lawrence Juber Signature Bronze exclusively on my Taylor 310e

I have used the vintage bronze on a brighter guitar in the past but assumed they wouldn’t be a good match for the J45. May have to try that sometime.

rokdog49 03-29-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich Novice (Post 6021356)
I have used the vintage bronze on a brighter guitar in the past but assumed they wouldn’t be a good match for the J45. May have to try that sometime.

It all depends on what you want to hear.
The VB's are certainly not going to give you the chimney trebles or upper mids of the 80-20's but sometimes it's a nice change of pace.
The strings that I like best on my J45 are the Martin Titaniums. They lean toward warmth. They make the guitar a power house for certain styles though.

mattwood 03-29-2019 07:48 AM

I have some Signature bronze on one of my guitars right now and like the tone but they feel like they have a little more tension to them. I've tried the Vintage bronze but like the Signatures a little better. I'll have to give the True Mediums a shot.

Mr. Jelly 03-29-2019 08:15 AM

I like the GHS phosphorus bronze 52- 11s. I've used them for years and can't get away from them no matter how I've tried.

jaymarsch 03-29-2019 08:26 AM

I have come to really like GHS strings on a number of my guitars. I also use John Pearse and Newtones to shake up my ear now and then but I really the GHS strings for both tone and feel. They are very consistent and their string guide (Shows which strings are more mellow or bright on the spectrum) is pretty accurate but it still depends on the individual guitar in my experience.

I also take advantage of different online sales and as a GHS news subscriber, they send me discounts now and then so they are pretty affordable as strings go.

Best,
Jayne