The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   My new 1,5m cable hums significant ... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605213)

Winblows 01-27-2021 08:05 AM

My new 1,5m cable hums significant ...

... it's the only short cable I have. None of my other cables does it (same cheap brand).
Is it because of the length ?

Brooklyn Bob 01-27-2021 08:09 AM

Are you standing closer to the amp when using it?

Winblows 01-27-2021 08:19 AM

I've checked the other cables with the short distance ...

KevWind 01-27-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winblows (Post 6616618)
I've checked the other cables with the short distance ...

Could it be a fault somewhere is the wiring of just that cabe ?

David Eastwood 01-27-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6616724)
Could it be a fault somewhere is the wiring of just that cabe ?

Just what I was thinking. If you own a multimeter, you can easily check continuity end-to-end for the tip and the sleeve. If the jacks have removable covers - the kind that just unscrew - you can do a visual inspection of the actual connections too.

Winblows 01-27-2021 11:06 AM

I don't have any multimeter.

https://i.imgur.com/7WMzicA.jpg

David Eastwood 01-27-2021 12:27 PM

Well, if you canít test it, or inspect the connections, Iíd suggest just dumping it and buy a new one - you did say it was cheap :)

Thereís nothing about a short cable that makes it inherently more susceptible to hum than a longer one.

Winblows 01-27-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatswodo (Post 6616896)
Well, if you canít test it, or inspect the connections, Iíd suggest just dumping it and buy a new one - you did say it was cheap :)

Thereís nothing about a short cable that makes it inherently more susceptible to hum than a longer one.

Yes, if the shops was open, I would go and buy a new one, but the Corona restrictions here do, that the shops are closed and I have to order it and wait for delivery.
Maybe, I should resolder both plugs?

Dru Edwards 01-28-2021 03:22 PM

A shorter guitar cable should have less hum than a longer one (assuming same quality components). As mentioned, it must be a bad cable. Can you still return it or exchange it? If not, you might as well try to resolder the connections.

Any chance that it's a speaker cable instead of a guitar cable? That would cause hum.

MarkF_48 01-28-2021 08:08 PM

What are you connecting these cables to and from? Your image shows two cables, so I'm guessing it's not an instrument/guitar(?) I'm going to guess a Focusrite 2i2 as I can see the edge of a red chassis and the cables are plugged into a left and right monitor output(?) If an interface, are these connected to monitors and if so, do the monitors also have 1/4" (6,3mm) connections?

Are the plugs on the ends TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) or TS (tip-sleeve)?

KevWind 01-29-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winblows (Post 6616604)
... it's the only short cable I have. None of my other cables does it (same cheap brand).
Is it because of the length ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winblows (Post 6616795)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winblows (Post 6616976)
Maybe, I should resolder both plugs?

OK some clarification is definitely needed (is English a second language for you ?) I ask because your posts as written and pictured are very confusing .

#1 In answer to your first question NO hum is normally not a condition of how long or short a cable is.. Loss of signal level can become an issue because of very long runs of cable like (100 ft or more ) ,, but usually "hum" is grounding fault, regardless of length.

#2. In your OP you mention " it's the only short cable I have" which sounds like one cable then in the your photo you show two cables ?

#3. As MarkF_48 pointed out, You need to clarify exactly what cable/s you are actually talking about . From the photo it appears as thought you talking about the speaker cables from your interface to your monitor speakers. YES ?

If YES , then the first thing to do,,, is first find out if it is just one cable , or both, that is causing the " hum" issue

sam.spoons 01-29-2021 09:44 AM

Surely the pic shows both ends of the offending cable not two cables?

If you can solder and have the gear to do so I'm surprised you don't own a multimeter, it's definitely worth buying one, it'll probably cost you about the same as a cheap cable.

If you decide to re-solder the jacks then a pic with the heat shrink removed will reveal whether it is a speaker cable (good call Dru Edwards)?

KevWind 01-29-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam.spoons (Post 6618696)
Surely the pic shows both ends of the offending cable not two cables?

Except the OP has not actually clarified if he/she is talking about a single guitar input cable ??? or talking about 1 or both speaker output cables from an interface out to monitor speaker/s

Because the picture does look very much like it could be the "line outputs" on the back of a Focusrite Scarlett (as someone mentioned )

And If it's true that it's a single cable , then why plug a single cable into the both the left and right monitor speaker outputs of an interface ?????
As noted some actual OP clarification is probably needed