The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How old are you in your minds eye? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527500)

Slothead56 11-11-2018 09:01 AM

62 going on 42. Had my last child at 40 and, yes, it helps keep you young. Though I could retire I want to keep on working...good for the mind.

I do have one complaint. I legitimately got carded at bars until i was in my late 30’s, even with salt and pepper hair. Just in the past year I feel like my looks are starting to catch up with my age. I don’t like that!

TBman 11-11-2018 09:12 AM

Yes. I'm 63, my wife is 64. We think we're 30somethings until 8:30pm rolls around and we're getting tired already :)

Our 23 year old gets ready to go out at 10:30 pm and we're half asleep watching Hallmark movies :D

Gunny 11-11-2018 06:37 PM

Be 58 in the spring. 20 years in the Corps did a number on my knees, otherwise have stayed in shape. Can still bench press my weight and that's my brag.
Mentally, I'm still pretty young. My Wife laughs when I call people 40 years old "kids".

MrDB 11-11-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otterhound (Post 5885179)
Are you waiting for something ?
I have a friend the broke his hip while playing volleyball at 83 .
The people in his rehab apparently kept asking him and his wife what an 83 year old man was doing playing volleyball .
As I told Paula , his wife , because he can and because he may not be able to at 84 . What , exactly , could anyone be waiting for ?
Never stop moving and enjoy the fact that you still can . Embrace the day . :)

100% this. I didn't wait and now I'm glad I didn't. After our youngest got out of college we started traveling, and have been all over the country and to Mexico and the Caribbean as well. Took the grandkids to a bunch of places while we still could and while Grandma and Grandpa were still kind of cool

On Nov 5th I lost my right leg to a deadly rare form of Sarcoma. I could die with 2 legs or live with 1. I made the easy choice.

I'll hobble around on a walker and crutches for a few months, then get fitted with a prosthetic and learn to walk again.

So don't wait. Your life can change in an instant.

AX17609 11-12-2018 06:36 AM

Was 68 and felt like 55. Then I fell down the stairs and fractured my spine. Now, I feel 155.

Riverwolf 11-12-2018 09:28 AM

Thanks for all the responses!
Read them all several times.
Mostly I was interested in how we view ourselves in our minds.
Our bodies age and that is a given.
Seems I will forever be this 30 something guy trapped in an old man's body. :)

Nyghthawk 11-12-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDB (Post 5887762)
So don't wait. Your life can change in an instant.

What he said.

Bikewer 11-13-2018 08:27 AM

I’m 72. I try to be realistic about such things... Even though “70 is the new 50”...
I’m on my way to being an android; I’ve got stents, and artificial knee, cataract implants, and now, false teeth.

Still, I function quite well. I still work full-time, work out in the university gym twice a week, ride my bike whenever I can.
Mentally I feel sharp as ever; I spend a lot of time on Quora answering questions and have a bunch of skeptical/intellectual forums I visit daily.

I was starting to get some incipient arthritis a while back, and was worried about my guitar playing. However, the weight lifting has apparently helped a great deal and now my hands are pain-free and I seem to have as much dexterity as ever. Just bought a banjo....

So, “warts and all” I’m certainly not the man I was 30-40 years ago, but by all metrics I’m not doing bad.

Guest 33123 11-13-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikewer (Post 5888799)
Just bought a banjo....

Wait, what? I thought you said things were going good...? :D

6L6 11-13-2018 09:52 AM

I turned 73 yesterday (as did Neil. I'm an hour older than him).

Happy to say I feel about 25 yrs old. Still doing all of my favorite sports (skiing, golf), traveling, and really enjoying life. I work at it through exercise and diet and it's paid off.

Muddslide 11-16-2018 04:26 PM

I turned 50 two months ago exactly. I feel very mentally young. I enjoy humor, learning new things, stretching my brain...

All through my 40s I was far more stressed...to be candid, I felt suicidal at times. My now-ex wife whom I was married to 21 years suffered from mental illness. She seems unable to have sustained happiness, though she did get manic. She developed a gambling addiction about 10 years back and ruined me financially. Finally, in early 2017 she left me for a man I eventually learned she had been carrying on with since at least 2008.

Through my 40s I often felt like I was 80. Now, life is good, I'm with the most beautiful, loving, fun, amazing Lady in the world. I'm happier than I've ever been. Back to my old self in most ways...a touch of PTSD and residual stress from the old marriage, but I feel far more carefree and laid back than I have since my 20s.

Unfortunately, my health is not so great. I'm in better shape physically than I have been in ages...kicked cigarettes, eat well, sleep an appropriate amount, exercise some, have lost 280 pounds (!) since 2010 and plan to get in much better shape yet.

BUT (this is a big 'but' folks)-- I am paying dearly now for the excesses of my youth.

I have chronic pain, arthritis, my lower legs are becoming useless and I'm a diabetic who's had all his toes amputated.

Nobody and nothing to blame for this but Yours Truly. I spent my childhood right up to the age of 30 (when I became a father) drinking, drugging, working endlessly, never sleeping, eating like a pig, etc.

It has really caught up with me.

So, mentally I feel maybe 22-23. Physically I feel more like 73 at least, but I'm going to bygod keep improving myself.

H165 11-16-2018 05:09 PM

Four (4!) pages of replies and nobody has posted this yet??? :

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46133262

Glennwillow 11-16-2018 07:56 PM

I turned 70 this year. When I go out on our property to work, my wife routinely reminds me, "Remember, you are no longer 30 years old."

She really did need to remind me of that until 2018 came around and then I had to have both hip joints replaced. So going through that and getting my physical strength back this summer have caused me to readjust my thinking about how old I am in my head.

I now think of myself as somewhere around 40 years old. ;) :D

- Glenn

bostosh 11-16-2018 10:11 PM

One can grow older, however one does not have to "grow up"

Still in 7th grade wood shop

flaggerphil 11-17-2018 12:55 AM

In my mind's eye I'm generally around 25 to 27...I'll be 68 next month.