The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Build Thread: Circa OM Adi Spruce and Madagascar RW (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288812)

Nort 09-10-2016 01:46 PM

Beautiful guitar, the purfling and the back strip! very cool :cool:

justonwo 09-12-2016 11:23 PM

All I can say is that John has created a total masterpiece. It is really starting to open up, and sound is really sweet. I couldn't be more impressed by John's work. It's tough when you get a new guitar and it sounds a bit tight, but that's to be expected, particularly with a guitar that has an Adirondack spruce top. John told me to give it some time and to play it a lot - which I did. Wow, what a difference in just 15-20 hours of playing. Wonderful bloom on the notes. Just a touch of compression to knock out really tight strings. Gorgeous, clear tone. Bravo, John!

And to deliver it with absolute dead level frets and perfect setup (nut slot height, action, relief, intonation). I'm in heaven. Not to mention the gorgeous looks and flawless workmanship. What a wonderful commission experience!

I am not the most gifted guitar player, and my recording kung fu is basic. This is the Zoom H4n aimed right at the 12 fret. It sounds mostly true to the sound of the OM. One of these days, I'll learn how to clean up my sloppy mistakes and make decent recordings. In the meantime, here's what I got . . .

This is a recording of one of my favorite Dorian Michael songs, "When Arizona Meets the Ocean." Dorian was kind enough to share the sheet music with me, and it's been one of my favorite songs to learn.

http://jus-tone.com/misc/recordings/...cean_Circa.mp3

Here's another favorite of mine. Bert Jansch's version of Angie.

http://jus-tone.com/misc/recordings/...ngie_Circa.mp3

And finally John Fahey's "Yellow Princess."

http://jus-tone.com/misc/recordings/...ss%20Circa.mp3

Diamondave 09-13-2016 12:04 AM

Duuude....! Glorious.... Major sweetness my man....! Love it....:up:

bdm0509 09-13-2016 06:27 AM

Juston-

Those are really nice! Kudos on the guitar and the playing.

-Brett

rlxnply 09-13-2016 01:22 PM

Great playing. Thank you for sharing. Glad to hear the guitar continues to get better for you. Enjoy!

justonwo 09-18-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondave (Post 5064356)
Duuude....! Glorious.... Major sweetness my man....! Love it....:up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdm0509 (Post 5064475)
Juston-

Those are really nice! Kudos on the guitar and the playing.

-Brett

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlxnply (Post 5064926)
Great playing. Thank you for sharing. Glad to hear the guitar continues to get better for you. Enjoy!

Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying it. As Diamonddave mentioned, it does seem to be getting sweeter and sweeter. This guitar is built with a relatively newish bracing system that John is using that features taller X braces. The result is more projection, volume, and headroom. It's getting more balanced over time, and overtone content is increasing slightly. It's hard to describe it in any other way than, "it's getting sweeter."

FormerFoodie 09-24-2016 11:15 AM

Dude! Nice playing! Thanks for taking the time to put together sound clips for us. It sounds absolutely fabulous! I can only imagine how much better it'll sound down the road...

CoolerKing 09-24-2016 11:24 AM

I have reactivated my Circa commission after reading this thread. I've been on John's list since last year but am totally looking forward to this!

justonwo 09-27-2016 11:15 AM

Thank you guys for the nice comments about my playing. It's not perfect, so I'm self conscious about posting recordings.

I'm posting comments in real time here to remind myself the next time I receive a new guitar just how much it can open up in the first few weeks. The Circa continues to evolve. The level of the bass is now coming up, and the tightness keeps falling off the mids and trebles. They just keep getting sweeter. Amazing.

CoolerKing 09-27-2016 12:48 PM

The recordings sound pretty darn good, way cleaner than what I could do. Kudos!

justonwo 10-08-2016 01:50 PM

Well, I keep putting hours on it and, as advertised by diamondave, it just keeps getting better. In fact, if it never changed from its present sound, I would say without equivocation that this is the best Martin OM style guitar I've ever played. When John and I first started talking about a guitar way back in 2009, I sent him a page long description of what I was looking for, tonally. I kind of laugh at those days because my approach to commissioning guitars has changed pretty radically. With the exception of picking the top and back woods, I don't really tell luthiers how I want the guitar to sound. I gather enough experience with their work that I have enough confidence to tell them simply to "do their thing."

In this case, John's thing is obviously vintage Martins, and I didn't want to constrain him in any way with regard to how he wanted to voice the guitar. I told him simply that I play heavy handed and with fingerpicks. He produced a guitar that melds so ridiculously well with my style and tastes, that it's really hard to imagine a luthier producing a more satisfying end product for a commission. I have played many, many, many luthier-built guitars based on vintage Martin OMs, and I've played a few at Schoenberg. I have played none better.

Such is my satisfaction with the guitar, that I have commissioned another Circa. My signature reads 000-12 maple, though I anticipate when things are nearer to start that I'll be more likely to switch to a mahogany OM. We shall see. For those of you looking for a vintage OM-styled guitar, look no further than John.

CoolerKing 10-08-2016 02:26 PM

I'm trying to see if the style 30/34 binding will work with an OM 18, but might go with hog/spruce and style 21 binding. :)

justonwo 10-08-2016 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewpartrick (Post 5091707)
I'm trying to see if the style 30/34 binding will work with an OM 18, but might go with hog/spruce and style 21 binding. :)

I want you to know that I'm here for you in these trying times.

CoolerKing 10-08-2016 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 5091728)
I want you to know that I'm here for you in these trying times.

I know, right? Can someone call Sally Jesse Raphael? :)

Orfeas 10-08-2016 08:34 PM

Everything in that guitar looks and pretty much is, exceptional. Congrats!!!!!!

JoeCharter 10-09-2016 04:03 PM

What a beautiful guitar. Love the inlays and purfling!

Nice sound clips as well.

Congrats!

justonwo 01-08-2017 01:05 PM

4 months old and it just keeps improving. The bass has fattened up nicely, to the point where it sounds just like a great OM should. The power and projection are all there. The mids and trebles are sweetening up over time, but they've been perfect since about 2-3 weeks in, so I guess that means they are getting perfecter. I've never played an OM I like more. Such is my faith in John after this guitar, and after having played many examples of his work over the years, that I have a 000-12 (Euro/maple) and an OM-18 (adi/mahogany) on the way. With the exception of Howard Klepper's work on my Schoenberg 000-12 and his OM-33, no other luthier building in the traditional Martin style has impressed me more.

Diamondave 01-09-2017 01:43 PM

oh yea, mega props to Mr Slobod!

Plethora 02-01-2017 05:49 AM

This or the brondel and why

justonwo 02-01-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plethora (Post 5214533)
This or the brondel and why

Not sure what you mean?

Diamondave 02-01-2017 01:57 PM

BOTH.... Because....!!! :D

iim7V7IM7 02-01-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondave (Post 5214991)

Absolutely...:up:

Howard Klepper 02-01-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamondave (Post 5214991)

Because both are the Maine thing.

antsdmb 02-03-2017 05:30 PM

What kind of case does John use?

justonwo 02-03-2017 06:32 PM

I don't know what his standard case is. We used Hoffee for this guitar.

antsdmb 02-03-2017 07:03 PM

Thank you. The guitar looks perfect. Enjoy it in good health.

Diamondave 02-03-2017 09:29 PM

Circa uses standard a nice Ameritage case, usually a bluish colored one, with black edges...

antsdmb 02-04-2017 06:41 AM

Thank you, Dave! I believe my name gets called this year :)

justonwo 02-04-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsdmb (Post 5217963)
Thank you, Dave! I believe my name gets called this year :)

You are in for a serious treat. A megatreat. No. A teratreat.

iim7V7IM7 02-04-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 5218187)
You are in for a serious treat. A megatreat. No. A teratreat.

Tera, Peta, Exa, Zeta, Yota....:)