The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Default parametric EQ settings for ES using PreSonus EQ3B

I recently acquired a PreSonus EQ3B parametric equalizer and would like to share experience using it with ES system.

I have Taylor 314ce with the EQ3B. I have read some of the previous threads but looking for more input.

Also if any of you Equinox or K4 users can share tips...that would be great too!
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Fender Amer Strat, PRS SAS Mesa Express 5:25, Egnater Tweaker head/cab, M13, ElevenRack, lots of pedals...on a NYC or Pedaltrain...powered by BBE SupaCharger.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM

I posted a similar message about my experience with the PResonus EQ 3B on the Where ES Shines thread.

I did not know much of anything about parametric EQ until I saw and read the study that dutchpicker (? my apologies if incorrect) wrote in an AGF post last August or September. I could not afford a K4.

When I got the Presonus I started out by setting the EQ to match as best I could the graph in his thread. Then I played while a friend listened and together we tweaked the sound. Did a similar thing at the first venue we played...but did not need to change anything; if a K4 sounds any better it is worth the price.

What's your experience been?
Bob
Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

thanks Eever...I will search for those threads.

My experience has been good so far. I had a false start after I had calculated all the needed dial settings based on the EQ curves from that other thread, based on the manual for the EQ3B. Then I realized that the bands on my unit are different than shown in manual (ie. my low is actually 20Hz-300Hz...not 20Hz-800Hz as shown in manual). Once I realized that the face dial (ranges for 3 bands) in the manual did not match mine...I was able to get a very natural tone through headphones and my ultrasound amp. I have used it through PA at church (yesterday) but I was not able to do any testing or evaluation in the rush to ready for our service.

I will post my settings later so others can compare. If you have your settings...that you like best...please post them.

This is a nice little unit, and I did A/B comparison with my other 7 band stompbox EQ (very noisy in comparison) and Boss unit with 4 band (bass, mid, treble, presence) also noisy in comparison and much less control.

thanks!
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Fender Amer Strat, PRS SAS Mesa Express 5:25, Egnater Tweaker head/cab, M13, ElevenRack, lots of pedals...on a NYC or Pedaltrain...powered by BBE SupaCharger.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM

Default My preferred settings

Kensmith, here's how I set the Presonus for my K14CE:

Low: +4dB, 125Hz, BW at 11:30
Mid: -11dB, 950Hz, BW at 8:00
High: -3dB, 13K Hz, BW 8:00

Even dropping the mids as above, I find that in some settings I use the Mackie EQ to lower the mids even further.

Let me know what your experience is. I am delighted at finding an affordable and high quality alternative to the K4, at least for my purposes.

Bob
Old 02-03-2007, 01:10 PM

Eever

I just received a Presonus to use with my Taylor 810 ES and my Bose L1.

I set it to your parameters and it sounds pretty good.

Thanks for a start point..

Now, in general, why is it that Taylors with ES Systems have to much mid-range??

Is this the Bob Taylor sound?

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion