The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Full Size Guitar vs. 3/4 Size Guitar

I am a beginner, let's get that out there.

Okay, so I bought a Jasmine S-33 Full Sized guitar however I have very small hands and am worried that learning the guitar on this style will hinder my progress and become a hard process.

I'm looking at taking my guitar back and getting either an Alveraz or Ibanez 3/4 size acoustic guitar - and I just wanna know what the difference is in the sound between a full size and 3/4 size guitar.

Thanks. Oh and will learning on a 3/4 size be a lot easier than a full-size?

I'm 17, but my hands are smaller than msot girls I know. Just to give you an idea.

Last edited by Stretch3; 12-06-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:34 PM

Default ..

bump. thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:40 PM

Default I wouldn't go 3/4...

You'd have no where to grow-id play a few and then compare them to something in the 000 or OM size category. Those are Orchestral models of various sizes that are bigger than a 3/4 but smaller in waist (depth) and overall size then a full on dread. You might get lucky and find a slender necked dread out there as well-I think Seagull makes one that you can find on Elderly.com, along with a Folk model that is slightly smaller as well, and one called the Grand which is just dreamy in sound, but pretty tiny. Taylor makes a 3/4 and a 5/6th ish sized one called the Big Baby. I dont know your hand size, but as you progress you might find a 3/4 too small, though there are dedicated 3/4 size players on the board that Im sure can defend their positions just as well. I would seek out some alternate sized models and see how they feel since only you know where you want to go, how fast you want to play, and what size you can comfortably hold.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:00 PM

Default ...

My two main questions that need to be answered:

1: Will learning on the 3/4 guitar be easier than a full sized guitar?

2) generally speaking, what is the difference in sound between both the 3/4 size and full size steel string guitars?

3) Are 3/4 size guitars generally for "little kids."
Old 12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
minister of twang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch3 View Post
My two main questions that need to be answered:

1: Will learning on the 3/4 guitar be easier than a full sized guitar?

2) generally speaking, what is the difference in sound between both the 3/4 size and full size steel string guitars?

3) Are 3/4 size guitars generally for "little kids."
that's three, but okay...

1. sorta. but not really. the stretches and stuff will be easier further down on the neck, but actually may be more difficult, due to the cramped space, further up the fretboard. when you eventually did move on to a full-size instrument, it's going to be a noticeable adjustment. my advice would be to tough it out with a full-size guitar.
2. it varies from instrument to instrument. it's a piece of wood. i can think of a number of builders who could likely build a 3/4-size instrument to rival and quite possibly trounce the sound of many full-size factory guitars.
3. they're generally for younger folks, yes.

i think you're probably going through what most folks go through when they pick up guitar. it's kinda uncomfortable. it'll pass. eventually.

i'd second the recommendation of seeking out an OM or grand concert guitar. something a bit smaller. short scales are also a possibility.
l'twangage
Old 12-06-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch3 View Post
I am a beginner, let's get that out there.

Okay, so I bought a Jasmine S-33 Full Sized guitar however I have very small hands and am worried that learning the guitar on this style will hinder my progress and become a hard process.

I'm looking at taking my guitar back and getting either an Alveraz or Ibanez 3/4 size acoustic guitar - and I just wanna know what the difference is in the sound between a full size and 3/4 size guitar.

Thanks. Oh and will learning on a 3/4 size be a lot easier than a full-size?

I'm 17, but my hands are smaller than msot girls I know. Just to give you an idea.
Im learning on a 00 size ( Epiphone EL00) I also have small hands and I have a shoulder problem that makes the dreads uncomfortable to hold. I love the size of the 00 but was looking for a parlor size guitar also thinking it is even smaller and probably would be even easier. After playing for a few weeks I am finding the 00 very easy to manage. I still might like another guitar because since I have been looking at Larrivee Parlors I would just like to have one but not because the 00 is too big. Actually my husbands 0000 with a low profile neck is even pretty easy to play now. I would go for a full size small body guitar. Im sure after a while you will be able to play it just fine If you would have asked me this question a few weeks ago I would have said go for the 3/4 size! I am so surprised at how quickly things change with practice.

Martin 00-28VS custom

http://feathersprings.fischerworks.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion