The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Will Taylor shave down a neck?

Hello Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of Taylor shaving one of their necks to a slimmer profile and then doing a refin. My 2002 310 has the widest/fullest neck. I used to like it, but it's really been bugging my hand and wrist for awhile now. None of my 1 11/16" necks do this. I called and asked if they could replace the 1 3/4" NT w/ a 1 11/16". They said the body end was different, too and wouldn't line up. I don't want a different guitar, especially after all the playing time this one has gotten, songs written, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any replies,
c-pop
Old 10-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Guitar Honey

I have not heard of them doing anything like this. I am surprised that the neck is so full. All of my Taylors have 1 3/4" necks, and one of the reasons I like them so much is the slim profile. Of course, it's not as slim as some electrics, but I think it's great for an acoustic. I used to play 1 11/16", and it took me a little while to get used to 1 3/4 (I have very small hands), but I like it a lot now.

You might ask them if they will replace it with a short-scale neck of the same width. These are a lot easier to play, IMO.

My Guitars
Rejoice Music
Member Photo Gallery
Old 10-24-2006, 03:43 PM

R.Taylor's offer a slim profile. Maybe you need a new guitar. . .
Old 10-24-2006, 05:05 PM

Well, Taylor itself offers the option of a slimmer-profile neck. Lurking on page 6 of the summer 06 Wood & Steel is the news that you can specify either of two neck profiles if you're ordering a guitar. This really threw me when I read it, because I always assumed that you got the current, fatter, wider neck (which I basically am not that crazy about) if the nut width was 1 3/4", and the slimmer neck (as on my Big Baby) if the nut width was 1 11/16". But no, according to W&S, the DDSM has the slimmer, old-fashioned Taylor neck profile, and Taylor's website gives the DDSM nut width as 1 3/4". Something to think about when you next order a Taylor I guess...

Richard

PS: Incidentally I saw my first R Taylors today - hadn't realized they'd reached London. One was a koa-topped guitar at what I thought was a crazy price, basically *three times* that of a 414ce.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion