The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2006, 12:13 PM

Default ultrasound Vs. Fishman Loudbox

Hi all

It's obvious that a lot of us on the forum love their ultrasound amps...i was just curious, how do they compare against the Fishman Loudbox? What intrigued me about the Fishman Loudbox is the 'tri-amp' design, for those who have tried it (i haven't), does it (tri-amp) make a big difference? Would you rate the Ultrasound above the Fishman?
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 07-19-2006, 10:28 PM

Never heard or played through a Loudbox. I bought my Ultrasound AG50DS2 and never looked at another. Never needed to or had the desire. This thing is awesome. I I were to go with another amp it would be an Ultrasound. Maybe a CP100 or an AG50E extension cabinet. I use a DI Plus (Ultrasound) when playing through the PA at church. A great DI/preamp.

There are many on here tha use the Loudbox. Maybe they'll chime in.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

The Loudboxes I've tried were good overall. The Loudbox Pro is quite a bit nicer than the other Loudboxes. Well thought out features, adequate headroom and decent sound. They are more hi-fi sounding than the Ultrasounds. Bi-amping or (in the case of some Loudboxes) tri-amping can often outperform a single amp with crossovers. But it really depends on the relative quality of the amp(s), speakers and crossovers (some Ultrasounds don't use crosovers - they use coax speakers instead). A quality bi-amp or tri-amp, along with the attendant speakers, is quite expensive. Fishman's products (with the exception of the Loudbox Pro) are fairly inexpensive for such a design. They've cut corners somewhere on the lower priced models, and that shows up in the sound when compared to their flagship.

The Ultrasounds have very good preamps and power amps. Dunno about the speakers. The 8" coax used in many of their amps sounds a bit artificial, the mids suffer and the bass, although tight, is not very full. Plus they have rather poor dispersion due to the design. Still, they are very popular, probably for price reasons. I like the wy the CP100's speakers sound better.

There are numerous amps in the $500 to $1,000 range. They're all good to very good, and they all sound different from one another, at least the ones I've tried, which is most of them. There's definitely a qualitative difference once you get to the Schertler Unico, AER Domino or Acoustic Cube III or the Loudbox Pro. Better builds, better sound.

Still, the Ultrasounds are nice amps. I used a pair of Ultrasound 50E (that's just the power amp and speakers - no preamp) for a couple of years with a different brand preamp. They worked rather well.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 AM
.tom the übergeek

We have the Loudbox and it really sounds good. It is very loud, has plenty of tone shaping and cuts through the band just fine. Great deal for the price.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:25 AM

Thanks TR...have you played your T-5 through the Loudbox? How does it sound?
2006 T5-S Tobacco burst (40th birthday present from my wife! :-)
2008 516CE (KEEPER!)
2002 NS-7
Ibanez Concord 670 (my first guitar!)
Tanglewood TSF-CE (Red)
Old 07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
O'Dadgad rules.

Default ultrasound & fishman

Just loooook at my signature!

I love my Fishman Loudbox. I bought it December of '03 before even hearing it. I had previously owned the Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro, and kicked myself for selling it. I was kind of bummed when i realized it didn't have digital reverb like the APpro did, but overall i loved it's headroom, and i played next to a set of drums the weekend i got it and had very good response and clarity. Loud and clear is true. But it's 50 something awful pounds!

Recently a store in town was closing out the Ultrasound AG50DS2s and i saw an opportunity to get very good tone, and a whole lot less weight for my local solo gigs, and a very good price. Not nearly as loud, but hey, 50 watts is only about 10db less!

Will i ever sell my fishman? not right now. Will i ever sell my AG50DS2? not right now either. I don't think you can go wrong either way and will find you'll like your purchase either way.
The Family
The Les Paul I built

My live rig:
Mogami Gold TRS
Rane AP13
Ultrasound AG-50DS2, Fishman Loudbox
Boss RC-50
PP2+
Old 07-21-2006, 09:57 AM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloralf
Thanks TR...have you played your T-5 through the Loudbox? How does it sound?
I did. Very nice (before I sent the T5 to live with another forum member).
Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 AM
minister of twang

i was intrigued by the loudbox pro. i checked the specs.

77lbs.

i'd need a forklift.
l'twangage
Old 07-21-2006, 10:30 AM

Fishman Loudbox Pro=77 pounds.
Yikes. What a beast. 600 watts. I don't think I could carry that out to my car.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmikey
i was intrigued by the loudbox pro. i checked the specs.

77lbs.

i'd need a forklift.
Same here.

I’m too old for 77 pound amp. And lately I’ve had a lot of gigs that have involved some serious hauling.... "we’d like you to set up on the other side of the golf course...”

I have a Fishman Loudbox Performer coming, possibly today. I got it based on reviews, specs, and price. I can return it no prob. I’m looking forward to putting it next to my Compact 60 for a little shoot out action followed by a weekend of gigs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification