The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2005, 07:08 PM

Default my maton guitar keeps developing a bow in the fretboard

im not sure why but my new maton acoustic keeps getting a bow in the fret board where the fret board meets the body of the guitar
its been back to the manufactuture once but within 2 months
i can see it starting again, i think i will ask for a new guitar cause
surely you shouldnt have to adjust a guitar every few months.
any comments?
Old 11-05-2005, 08:30 PM

chooka, this has never been a problem with the Maton CW80's I've owned over the past 35 years. Haven't seen it in others either. And I've seen some that have really taken a hiding ! For example the M325 [ same neck as a CW80 ] has been dubbed "The Road Warrior" for it's ability to withstand punishment with bands on tour.

When you say a bow , is it way over about 3mm on the 6th string & 2mm on the 1st at the 10th fret ?

Do you live in a climate that changes in humidity rapidly or take your guitar from an air conditioned room to the car on a regular basis ?

I agree that Maton should take your guitar back to the factory and give you the VIP treatment if it's changing radically on such a frequent basis without any climatic reason.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:47 PM

the bow is really a small hump in the frets as you look down the guitar, around about the tenth fret, it doesnt need to be much to make the strings rattle when i strum because the action is already so low, when i sent it back before it was at the stage were i got the same note from about the 8th fret up,

i wondered about the climate changes but there are a few people with guitars where i am and they dont have any trouble
Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 PM

Sounds like you need to take it back to the dealer. Then should have a Maton approved tech that should be able to sort it out. It's definitely a warranty problem if it's buzzing due to a hump in the fretboard.

Maton of course will stick by the action / string heights they send their guitars out with ie. medium height. For warranty I don't think they like the idea of lowering the action below their specs.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:38 PM

Maybe you got a bad fretboard going there--a "hump" sure sounds like a defect to me. Get in touch with Maton (or your dealer-again)--should be a warrantee issue. Bummer, though.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 11-08-2005, 08:21 AM

Humps mean the neck is set wrong. Cronic problem on old martins and other guitars as well. First thing I check when buying a used martin. One dealer I
know of sends em back immediately when they come in like that. It is not
a fretboard issue the fretboard just follows the neck it is a neck issue. They
will need to reset the neck to get the hump our permanently. Lots of folk
just do a fret job and plane the fretboard insteed but to me a hump means
the neck is pitched wrong and needs a set .

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 11-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx
Humps mean the neck is set wrong.
Either that, or the top is sinking a bit. It may be due to low humidity, but I would definitely have it checked out.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 PM

Frankly, I'm surprised to read it isn't a fretboard issue, but I more or less understand the "physics" behind the post. Just seems to me a hump goes beyond neck issues...but I've been wrong before, and am willing to accept I am on this.

Either way, seems like a warrantee thing. Definitely NOT RIGHT. Keep us posted on your progress with this. (I DID own a guitar once with a fretboard issue--and it was not something neck adjustments corrected. That was a loooong time ago, and I also long ago traded the guitar-so it was my educated guess). In any event, get that sucker fixed!!!!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 11-18-2005, 06:41 PM

sorry it took so long but i have now got a new maton em225c , its the same guitar model but i didnt wait to get another with the same custom finish
no reports on what exactly was wrong but there were no problems with
replacing it.
so now its back to practice, practice, practice.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion