The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2005, 04:40 PM

Default the best powered mixer???

Hi, friends:

I am doing my homework before I buy a powered mixer for live sound. Some have suggested Mackie, others Behringer. I will play for small venues-- nothing gigantic!!!

What I need to know is which mixer will give the best sound quality and will last for years? The "consensus" seems to be that Mackies are the best (but overpriced) while Behringers are the best value (price-wise) but are prone to breaking down. Has anyone had any luck with Samson or Crate???

Thanks,

Karl
Old 08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Luthier

First off I am not the luckiest guy in the world. I too hear this bad mojo about Behringer. But in fact I have used their equipment for over 10 years without a problem. I can afford to use anything I want so for me it is a simple matter of a/bing equipment. I have tried the new PMH3000/5000 and plan on getting one ASAP. Go down and A/B it against everything else.

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 08-05-2005, 05:08 PM

Take a look at Yorkville,
I have a proMax 24. They also make a 16 channel version.

800 watts per channel on mains
320 watts on each of two monitor channels.
The power is pretty clean.
There are built in stereo or mono effects. They are okay. But the board has a ton of flexibility. 2 aux sends and returns. A SFX send return. And you can bypass the poweramps if you ever upgrade.

Price to features they seemed to be the best value I could find back in 2002 when I was researching. Yorkville has been around for years building very reliable gear. They are also the manufacturer of Traynor, which may be a more familiar name.

Let us know what you find.

max
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM

Ditto on the Yorkville. I got a deal on an MP10DS and it's not let me down. If I could afford it I'd get one of the new MP16's. They are reportedly the most powerful powered mixer available and built like tanks.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:41 PM

I agree with Woody Boyd - the Behringer PMH series is tremendous.

Having been through a few self-powered boards, I've found the PMH3000 to be nothing short of fantastic. As Behringers are typically, it's quiet as can be, with loads of features and power to spare for my acoustic stuff.

Plus the price is right. Nothing against Mackie or anyone else, but the price and features made my decision. I've had my PMH3000 for 6 months or so, and I love it.

Steve-R
Lots 'o stuff but it's no big deal
Old 08-06-2005, 05:30 PM

I also have a Behringer PMH series 8 channel 400watt (800 watts bridged) powered mixer and have been using it since Dec of 2004 and working fine. Plus it is SUPER light, small and easy to use, I love it. And it was HALF the cost of the Mackie 880.

Don't know why I keep hearing about Behringers breaking down because I have had a Behringer mixer for years that worked fine and thats why I went with the powered mixer.

I got two JBL 15's for mains and two 12 JBL monitors and this baby cranks...enough for me anyways!

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Old 08-06-2005, 08:19 PM

Jim:

I have a Mackie PPM 808S that I use a lot, and couldn't be happier with it. Take a look at the PPM series. If you know that you're only ever going to need a couple of channels or low to medium volumes, then there is no need for the 808, but rather look at one of the smaller PPM's.

I started out with Behringer stuff, and it was okay until I put it to a lot of use, then the pots started going bad, and the headphone jack, etc.. Mackies are built strong and sound great to me.

Look at the other brands that make powered mixers --- many of them model their designs from what Mackie has done. That should tell you something. I believe Behringer has been sued for producing boards that where just too blatent of a copy of Mackie.

Enjoy the day.
Grey
Old 08-07-2005, 03:15 PM

Before I decided on a powered mixer, I'd seriously check out the offerings from Carvin. I've used several of their audio products in the past, and have always been impressed with their features, quality, price and service after the sale. That says a lot for someone clear across the country from their factory!

cotten
Old 08-07-2005, 04:08 PM

I'm with Cotton on this one. I would go check out the Carvin systems. I have the 1644 P and the Pa. 800. I haven't had any problems with them. GREAT quality and price.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:53 PM

http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=MXP

Check out the XP650. Personally, I'd rather have the 8-Channel version, but if six will suffice, I think it's a great unit at an attractive price.

cotten
Old 08-07-2005, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten
Before I decided on a powered mixer, I'd seriously check out the offerings from Carvin. I've used several of their audio products in the past, and have always been impressed with their features, quality, price and service after the sale. That says a lot for someone clear across the country from their factory!

cotten
Actually I'll Ditto that, too! While my primary Powerd mixer is a Yorkville, I use my ol Carvin PA620 as a seperate monitor amp and as a backup. It's never failed me. The brand new RX line looks quite impressive: 4 seperate amps, ea with their own EQ so you can have 2 seperate monitor mixes, all in one unit.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks, everyone!!! I've got some good information!

Karl
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 PM

I'll probably get dumped on for this one, but honestly, the Yamaha EMX6000 is a great mixer that has plenty of power and sells for under $700 from Musician's Friend. User friendly and simple, lots of features and well constructed. Road worn and abused, it keeps on kickin!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten

cotten
I have had my Carvin MX842 8 channel stereo mixer since 1995 that is still as good as new.

(Hey Cotten, I also have a couple of Ovations )

Old 08-08-2005, 11:20 PM

I do like my Mackie. I have the 808M. Figured it's got the same power rating as the 808S, but I don't really need to run in stereo. I mean, how stereophonic can one guy and his guitar be?

Honestly, for my needs, it's overkill, but it's nice to know that should I need the extra headroom, it's there.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification