The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Info on Yamaha FG460SA?

I recently acquired a Yamaha FG460SA. From the serial number, I've determined that it's about a 1992 or so model. Does anyone have any information about this particular model? Solid or laminate? Where it falls in the Yamaha guitar food chain?

It plays great, with a "heavier" sound that my Taylor 310CE. Again, just curious if there are any thoughts on this instrument from forum friends. For one thing, I'm debating if it's worth installing a K&K in it - I know that if it sounds good that's all that matters, but I don't want to overvalue it. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2005, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-R
I recently acquired a Yamaha FG460SA. From the serial number, I've determined that it's about a 1992 or so model. Does anyone have any information about this particular model? Solid or laminate? Where it falls in the Yamaha guitar food chain?

It plays great, with a "heavier" sound that my Taylor 310CE. Again, just curious if there are any thoughts on this instrument from forum friends. For one thing, I'm debating if it's worth installing a K&K in it - I know that if it sounds good that's all that matters, but I don't want to overvalue it. Thanks!
I have had one for over 10 years. It has laminate back and sides, solid spruce top, and a (cheesy) abalone binding and rosette. Mine also has gold tuners. (I would tell you what I paid and what it is worth but it would be censored here.) Yamaha also built an all wood line as well as an all laminate line so I would say these were in the middle of the pack. Also with Yamaha's serialization you can only tell within ten years when it was made (71, 81, or 91) I think they are a very nice guitar for a modest price. I also have the sales brochure listing the entire line during that era but have no way to post it.

Enjoy it!

"Impersonating a real guitar player for over 40 years"
Old 05-04-2005, 09:36 PM

Thanks, SMan. Mine does indeed have the binding and gold tuners. I bought it to use as a travel or camping guitar, but boy, I really like it a lot. I've had a few guitars over the years, and this model is just a real solid guitar. Loud, too. Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion