The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2004, 05:21 PM

Default Best OM style guitars?

So I've fallen in love with the OM body style. I like its compact look and how it sits really nicely in a mix. I've been a electric player mostly for the past 10 years but I'm a worship leader and I play way more acoustic now than before. I find smaller guitars feel a bit more like what I'm used to.

As reference something like a Taylor -12 style guitar or tacoma chief would also be options. OM is the preference but other somewhat smaller guitars would be an option as well.

Tim
Old 10-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Goodall makes the best I've ever tried.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:42 PM
minister of twang

there are lots. recently i played jim tozier's avalon "s" (s201 - cedar/rosewood) and liked it. it's even a bit smaller than a typical x12 or OM. about the size of a classical guitar. the lowden s series are nice too... as examples that might not immediately leap to mind.

i've played numerous larrivee OM-whatevers that i've liked. i played one in koa that i thought was nice.

i like my taylor 612ce and 512 a lot, but they've very different guitars with specific voices.

the nicest OM i've ever played, and one of the three best guitars i've every played, was an olson sj (small jumbo - but it's really small for a jumbo). that was al petteway's, on loan from david wilcox.
l'twangage

Last edited by mtmikey; 10-08-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Musical minimalist

I have owned TONS of different OMs and Grand Concerts and I have to say that the Larrivee's probably represent one of the best values....I have an OM-05 right now that is an amazing instrument. Two others stand out, those being a Santa Cruz OM/PW and a Lakewood M-32 (deep bodied grand concert) all of these had their own special characteristics that made them stand out....if I could find an instrument that had the best parts of all of them rolled into one......I would buy two or three and my search would be over!!!

Old 10-08-2004, 06:08 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

My favs, in no particualr order, Martins OM28V, OM18V, Laurence Juber models (OMC18VLJ and OMC28VLJ), Santa Cruz OMPW. At the upper end of the spectrum, Kim Walker, Julius Borges and Schoenberg Soloist OM models.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 10-08-2004, 06:18 PM

There are so many nice ones out there right now. Martin OM-28V (gee, what a suprise), Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Goodall, Bourgeois, just to name a few. It all depends upon your pocketbook.
The miserable faces of the lonely people walking by
Thousands, millions, lonely people
And I realize I should move

Corky and the Juice Pigs
Old 10-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

My brother in CA picked up, this week, a Santa Cruz OM in Brazilian and Adirondack. He had the good fortune of being able to go to the factory and select his wood from Richard Hoover's private stock that gets held back... a real once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (for which he's truly grateful, I might add). I keep saying to myself: I shall not covet. I shall not covet. I shall not covet.

Someday, maybe next year, I'll actually get to play it.

But I do like the SCGC OM's in general, and think the OM/PW is a particularly good value. Never played a Goodall OM, but I'm sure it's very nice.

Peace,

Wade

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 10-08-2004, 06:54 PM

Prewar OMs aside, John Greven and Roy McAlister build mean OMs, as do many folks such as John Mayes.

Warmest Regards,
Terence
www.goodacoustics.com
Old 10-08-2004, 07:42 PM

My two cents worth,
for the "classic" OM look and sound the Collings or Martin, with the Santa Cruz close behind. For a little different shape, feel and sound the Goodall.
Like someone already said, it depends on what you are after and what you want to spend. The Larry OM's are one of the best values out there. But to me not quite a "traditional" OM. I prefer the Collings myself.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:53 PM

My favorite OM is this one......

Old 10-08-2004, 07:56 PM

For the money, Larrivee OM's are hard to beat. Of course, Paragon makes a killer Grand OM, as does Collings, Goodall, etc..........

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 10-08-2004, 08:54 PM

My top three choice are Borugeois, Collings, and Goodall. I find Borugeois to be very lively, clean, and complex. Collings is more mature and rich in tone. Goodall is the loudest with bell like sound and rings forever. Again this is subjective, all three I have are EI rosewood with Skita. I drove down to Buffalo Bros and played 9 different OM size guitars, and took home the ones I like the most

Kevin W.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:46 PM

Default Goodall TROMC

Best OM - The Goodall TROMC (IR w/Bearclaw top) that sits beside me as I type. The notes ring out clear and full from the guitar and yet when it comes time to push Blues notes with varing volumes, it excels. The lush full tones when played slow and open are intriguing. All in all Fun.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:52 AM

I'd like to add Mark Beneteau's OM. Beautiful. Period.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 10-09-2004, 08:12 AM

thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Now I'm a relative newbie to really high end acoustics....especially the smaller builders. The attraction of the OM is purely asthetic at this point. All of the descriptions of the guitars seem to in dindicate strong bottom and midrange....what is the top end of these instruments like? Is it sweet? Does it have the right amount of sparkle? To give you a frame of reference, the tone I seem to really like is the taylor 514ce i play pretty regularly. The same person who owns that owns an 814 with cocobolo back and a higher end custom guitar from taylor. The 514 is nicer than both to me.

I want something that will respond well the strumming but at the same time do well with finger picking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion