The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 PM

Default used guitar w/ "re-humidified, sealed crack": run?

so I've been looking to replace one of the "ones that got away". which for me was a mid-tier Epiphone ,which had an AMAZING tone. best sound I've ever heard come out of something that didn't cost WELL into 4 digits. And while it wasn't the one I actually learned on, it was one of my first good guitars, which I had throughout my 20s.

anyway. I found a listing (finally) for an EXACT copy, basically, on reverb.

The problem is that, while it's otherwise in good shape, it has a crack right down the center of the back from drying out, which has been 're-humidified and sealed'.

My question is, am I playing with fire? will this affect the sound much? I know I'm slightly rolling the dice, but.. anyway. I've been looking for this guitar for about 10 years, so my gut is telling me to jump on it.

I will try to post pics momentarily. The other MAIN thing that is keeping me at bay is that I *really* don't need another Dread, as that would make all 3 of my guitars at this point dreadnoughts. And I don't really see getting rid of either of the 2 that I have.

anyway, food for thought. I'm going to post a picture of this crack, and YOU guys get to be the judge -- jump on it? run away? asking price on reverb is 279. msrp when new was $899 if I'm not mistaken.

And to be fair, a picture of the part I actually like (alot):

Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku

Last edited by v32 finish; 03-08-2018 at 08:50 PM. Reason: adding picture.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Properly re-humidified, sealed and cleated, it shouldn't even appear as a crack in a photo. A repaired back crack should have negligible affect on the sound on this guitar.

If I had been waiting ten years for a particular guitar and it was > $300, I reckon I'd be buying it right now, almost regardless of condition! Almost any ailment can be corrected by a good luthier.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Having written that before the photo was posted...

That crack doesn't look very well closed! Probably run!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:55 PM

You could always ask the seller for a sound clip and try and assess from there. I don’t think that most Epiphones hold their value well. You can see on the listing how long ago it was initially posted for sale and you that as a bargaining chip in addition to the crack if you really want it. Personally I think the seller may have some additional room. Offer him $200. The worst he can say is no.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:55 PM

LOL! thanks for the laugh. "probably run!" that gave me a good chuckle, so .. thanks for that. I'm leaning towards "run" as well- I may send a message to the seller, just to give them the benefit of the doubt and to ask, ..but I thought the same thing. If it was re-humidified and sealed, why does it appear like a jagged rip still? which looks rather 'open'?

anyways, thanks for the feedback! just wanted to bounce it off you guys

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
Having written that before the photo was posted...

That crack doesn't look very well closed! Probably run!
+1 from me. That is an ugly looking crack. The sound would still be ok, however, so if you get it cheap enough you might want to pick it up. It would be hard to sell for much in the future.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:59 PM

der Geist- this is exactly what I'm thinking. I may keep perusing for another one in better shape.... but to be honest, the solid mahogany "SM' model just doesn't turn up that often in my experience. I might see if I can get them to come down that low, to compensate me for the risk. If it doesn't happen, I can still wait.

I technically should tuck that $$$ away into my 614ce fund, but.. a 200$ guitar seems much more feasible in the short term than a 2,000. especially one you've been after for a long time.

cheers

Old 03-08-2018, 10:20 PM

Unless that's a before pic, then whoever "repaired" that crack didn't do a very good job.

I would move on.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:37 PM

There's half a dozen Epiphone PR350's between $175 and $350 on Reverb right now. What is it about this one that has you willing to gamble on a crack?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:54 PM

I read and thought a good repair and you shouldn't know it was done. And that repair is not a hard one. Then I saw the picture and thought I must have read wrong, that it has a crack but it hasn't been repaired yet. Wait a second, that is repaired?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:00 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
a mid-tier Epiphone

it has a crack right down the center of the back

I *really* don't need another Dread
Why is this a dilemma?
Old 03-08-2018, 11:35 PM

Because I've been searching for this particular guitar for a long time. It's of sentimental value to me.

I've sent a message asking about the crack, but barring something major, will just move on.

There may be other PR350's, but not the "sm" solid mahogany designation, from that time frame, with that finish. It's not really a big deal, but I've owned other PR350s (2 different ones) and they were decent, but not stellar as the PR350SM had been. Hope this clears things up. One of a very, very few dreads that I would consider adding due to A)price and B)aforementioned sentimentality.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 AM

Default not what it was cracked up to be

Two things. If that photo shows the crack repaired, I wouldn't touch it. IF it's before repair shoot, that would be different. You should not be able to see a properly repairs crack in that spot.

Secondly, why do you think this comparatively rare model will sound as good as the one you sold? Suppose you happened to have on the the "good ones" before, or maybe this one is not one of the"good ones"?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM

That's definitely a possibility. For the low price, I'd be willing to roll the dice, as long as it was in good condition. I'm aware of the folly of trying to chase something from the past, only to never find it, and I've spoken to this in another thread. Sometimes it's best to just let it live as a memory.

At the same time, if I do stumble across one that looks right, and it's cheap, I may jump on it, who knows. It's just one of those guitars that made an impression on me and one from my stable that I'd like to have back, but not critical.

Thanks for the feedback

Old 03-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Nope

I would not buy it.

With that big of a crack I would think of all the other glue joints that have failed but are unseen.

I would have no interest in that instrument.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion