The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
IMHO the D35 sounds better than the D45. I believe that's due to the 3 piece back bling of the D35 helps emphasize the bass range which I prefer.
No, the reason D-35’s typically have a prominent bass response and a more enveloping presentation is not their 3 piece backs, but the simple fact that they have lighter weight 1/4” top bracing, as opposed to the 5/16” bracing on a D-45. These days many custom guitar builders are building instruments with 4 and even 6 piece backs when using rarer woods like African blackwood and Madagascar rosewood, because they can’t get boards wide enough to make 2 piece backs. But these guitars don’t automatically sound like D-35’s just because they have multi-piece backs. It’s the top bracing on D-35’s that accounts for the way that model sounds and projects.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-06-2018, 05:44 PM

The way I miss-understand things is that the lighter the bracing the more higher frequencies can vibrate, alternatively thicker bracing vibrates at a lower frequency. If you could get a railroad tie to vibrate it'd be a real low frequency.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about the tonal differences in regard to adding pretty stuff to the edge of 40 series Martins cuz I've only played one 40 series Martin.

What I do wonder about is: Wade says, "the way that Martin guitars are constructed those top outer edges are some of the most acoustically deadened spots on the guitars". Well that makes me think 40s are constructed differently on those top outer edges. Wouldn't we agree on that? They're routed out to accept the pretty stuff. Maybe not much but there are many discussions here about 1/4" vs 5/16" bracing, belly vs pyramid bridges, tongue braces, bridge pins, etc. Even satin vs gloss finishes. And five year old guitars vs fifteen year old guitars. Why wouldn't a routing of the entire body circumference on the top and then applying a different material in the routed channel make a difference?

That single 40 series that I've played is the OM-42 that I own. It's the guitar visiting players make an ugly face at when they see the bling and give me a look like I was a dope to spend big bucks on it. Then they play it. Then they want it. They say, "Oh!". They don't think I'm a dope cuz they get it when they play it. Maybe I was a dope for buying it because honestly I bought it w/o playing it off eBay for the bling and the headstock! Hah! I'm LOL because everybody likes it better than my OM-28A, SCGC Custom OM, and the others hanging around here and it plays and sounds more beautiful than it looks. (If you like that look)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:13 PM

.....No......

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 PM

Whatsa Taylor '03 600-SPEC look like?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 PM

Bizango, you can convince yourself any way that you like, rationalize what you believe you’re hearing, and that’s fine. But over the years I’ve known quite a few members of the Martin Guitar Company’s upper management, as well as any number of custom guitar builders and some of the most experienced and skillful repair techs in the country, and not ONE of them has ever told me that they believe that trimming out a guitar with abalone purfling will have an impact on the tone. Just the opposite: they’ve all stated as fact that it does not.

That doesn’t mean that there are NO repair techs or instrument builders who agree with you. I’m sure there must be a few. But I have never, ever met one, not in real life. Honestly, I think you’ve trained yourself to hear what you want to hear.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 PM

The jury is still out on whether abalone purflng around the top can make a guitar sound better. But it seems to have an effect on perceived tonal quality.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:45 PM

Wade I said I don't have a strong opinion about it. I do like my OM-42. Personally I think guitar differences are due to the sum of their parts, luthiers, moon and stars. And like I said myself I've only played one Martin 40 series ever.

Your comment about the construction of the rim of the top just made me think that altering that joining method which you said is common to many Martins might set them apart from other Martins. That makes sense to me-not as an experienced guitar expert but more out of general interest because I love guitars.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozer View Post
from what I've heard, there is a difference in the way the top reacts...this is because of the routing for purfling being extended further in off of the sides and this allegedly frees up the top for a different type of movement...

I "think" the route Taylor uses on the underside of their tops is supposed to replicate this effect.
When I shopped for my Taylor 914ce I consistently noted that the 914ce's sounded different from the 814ce's. I assumed it was the additional routing or weight of the laminate and glue. I don't have enough experience to comment on the 45 series Martins.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:56 PM

Default my opinion

The extent of bling on a guitar will improve its sonic performance at about the same rate as adding upmarket wheels to an automobile. I think neither 'addition' does anything whatever to the machine being 'improved'. Not unless listening to the label inside changes the listener's opinons of what he hears.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:04 AM

If you are asking for opinions as to whether the pearl appointments alone will somehow make an improvement in clarity, tone, volume, or whatever other sonic characteristic you may feel is enhanced, this concept is a first for me. If this notion is being batted about on forums, I’ve missed it and I’m glad.

An $11,000 guitar (or whatever they are listing them for now) should have excellent workmanship and materials. It would be very hard to convince me that taking away the pearl and using standard purfling materials with the exact same premium woods, bracing etc. would produce an inferior sounding instrument.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
The extent of bling on a guitar will improve its sonic performance at about the same rate as adding upmarket wheels to an automobile. I think neither 'addition' does anything whatever to the machine being 'improved'. Not unless listening to the label inside changes the listener's opinons of what he hears.
Upgraded wheels can add performance to an automobile, they often weigh less.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Based on what?
based on 55 years of playing guitars.
And the 1934 D-45 that I received from SCGC versus their standard 34s....If there is such a thing.
Lucky enough to have A/Bd many HD and D 28 and D-45s.
Now this is just IMHO

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I dunno. Maybe. There are people, even on this board, who believe that all sorts of crazy things affect sound. I'm not hearing a difference but who's to say they aren't? Bring on the abalone and gold plating.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:25 AM

Bill Collings once told me that pearl borders DO affect tone.

I'll go with what he said.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion