The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 05:31 PM

I'm glad to finally hear of some experience with the models. I hope to check them out in a Road Show, mostly to compare them to other body sizes, wood combos, etc. My only gripe is that the inlays are a tad busy. I don't mind ornate as long as they keep the inlay in the traditional spots and out of the spots that are usually blank.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Gotta admit this thread has been entertaining

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Drawshot,

I think you took my comment out of context and I should have clarified better. I was not being critical of your observations. The conclusion I referred to is whether V-braced Taylors sound better than last year's similar 900 and K series models. I'm a Taylor fan and spent nearly $8K on two new Taylors last year. If I take the marketing claims as accurate, was my timing bad ?

Best,

SB
Completely understood, and I had no intention of coming across as confrontational, sir. My apologies if the written 'tone' was off the mark.

Full disclosure - I SUCK as a player, so I'm not qualified to claim ability to pick out subtle nuances of this year vs last year.

Having played several of last year's models over the past 6 months, I feel the Koa GA and 914ce versions in 2018 sound and feel better. That's just me, and I'm sure there will be plenty of statements contrary to mine...which is what makes this hobby so interesting to me.

End of the day, I might gave to have one. That K14 left one hell of an impression on me. Can't get that tone out of my head.
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 02-09-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Good to hear from someone who has played a couple. That takes much of the BS out of the air.
Well maybe. While we all would need to try a V-Class before drawing any serious conclusion, I think it is still safe to say there might still be at least a whiff of BS in the air.

It's like a Harlan Williams said in one of his stand up acts regarding flowery air fresheners. He said they never really work, but instead make poop just smell like "poopie flowers".
Old 02-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

"We don't need no stinking first hand experience"
We have 20 pages laced with speculation based preconceived conclusions, and totally uninformed conjectures on motive or integrity .... who needs actual experience ?

carry on

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"We don't need no stinking first hand experience"
We have 20 pages laced with speculation based preconceived conclusions, and totally uninformed conjectures on motive or integrity .... who needs actual experience ?

carry on
Exactly.

Welcome to the Flat Earth Society, Acoustic Guitar Chapter....

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 02-10-2018, 10:39 AM

At the end of the day, I don't care one iota about what bracing is under the top. Does the guitar reach out and grab me and make me want to take it home? That is all that matters. The rest is placebo effect. Every doctor knows that 25-50% of people will be taken by the placebo effect and believe the little pill will do its job. That's what marketing is "let me tell you what we've done and what you should hear as a result". As we've witnessed so far, some hear it, some don't. I played all the new Taylor guitars at NAMM just as I did Martin, Breedlove.... and others I visited. Did I hear anything different...........no. I always hear/play some guitars I like and other's that don't do anything for me. Same this year as last. If you go shopping because the label says "NEW AND IMPROVED" then you've swallowed the marketing, hook, line and sinker. If you happen upon a guitar that you fall in love with and purchase it simply for its appeal to you, then you are an intelligent and prudent buyer.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

I will look forward to playing one of the new V-braced Taylor guitars some time in the future. However, I just ordered a new 2018 Martin D-45 along with the promise to my wife that this is the last guitar I will ever buy. (And I really do mean that.) So even if I like the sound of the new V-braced Taylor guitars, I will not be buying one.

I just read through every word of the latest Wood & Steel issue from Taylor this morning. Mostly, I think they did a good job with their explanations about the development, though without playing one, I have no idea what the practical manifestations of all these changes are. Nor do I have any idea how much of the Wood & Steel discussion about V-bracing is just smoke and mirrors.

I currently own two Taylor guitars, a 2002 514CE and a 2010 12-Fret, so I am not a Taylor "hater." I have also owned a few other Taylor guitars over the years that have been sold off or given away.

In the end, this development means we have more choices. That's generally a good thing.

Also after carefully reading between the lines in the latest Wood & Steel I have concluded that Taylor's big marketing campaign is as much about drumming up enthusiasm among guitar players for Andy Powers as the new design leader for Taylor as it is about V-bracing. I have concluded that this is about preparing for Bob Taylor's retirement and about a smooth succession. I think they went over the top a little, but they had a big magazine to fill up... And after all, they have to sell a lot of guitars.

- Glenn
Old 02-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Wow! a D-45 that's the top of the heap. Every Martin D-42 or D-45 I have played has been real special and something going on that most guitars do not have. The treble response has been over the top pretty and articulate at the same time. Listening to your playing Glenn ,you put the time in and really do deserve one.

Last edited by bluetweed; 02-10-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
The rest is placebo effect.
But the placebo effect could last for a long time if you convince yourself you have the greatest guitar in the world, right?
Old 02-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I will look forward to playing one of the new V-braced Taylor guitars some time in the future............Also after carefully reading between the lines in the latest Wood & Steel I have concluded that Taylor's big marketing campaign is as much about drumming up enthusiasm among guitar players for Andy Powers as the new design leader for Taylor as it is about V-bracing. I have concluded that this is about preparing for Bob Taylor's retirement and about a smooth succession. I think they went over the top a little, but they had a big magazine to fill up... And after all, they have to sell a lot of guitars.

- Glenn
Right on, Glenn! Taylor is the master of developing buzz through W&S, while it takes months for the guitars to ramp up production and fill the pipeline and actually reach dealers. This has been going on for years.

One thing kept running through my mind as I read the articles: what about my carbon fiber guitars that have NO BRACING AT ALL?? Do I have intonation problems, or just an uneducated ear? I look forward to testing V-Class guitars in person and forming my own opinions, when they show up at my LGS or a Road Show nearby.

And ManyMartinMan please don't take this personally,
but there is no need to shout!
Old 02-10-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I will look forward to playing one of the new V-braced Taylor guitars some time in the future. However, I just ordered a new 2018 Martin D-45 along with the promise to my wife that this is the last guitar I will ever buy. (And I really do mean that.) So even if I like the sound of the new V-braced Taylor guitars, I will not be buying one.

I just read through every word of the latest Wood & Steel issue from Taylor this morning. Mostly, I think they did a good job with their explanations about the development, though without playing one, I have no idea what the practical manifestations of all these changes are. Nor do I have any idea how much of the Wood & Steel discussion about V-bracing is just smoke and mirrors.

I currently own two Taylor guitars, a 2002 514CE and a 2010 12-Fret, so I am not a Taylor "hater." I have also owned a few other Taylor guitars over the years that have been sold off or given away.

In the end, this development means we have more choices. That's generally a good thing.

Also after carefully reading between the lines in the latest Wood & Steel I have concluded that Taylor's big marketing campaign is as much about drumming up enthusiasm among guitar players for Andy Powers as the new design leader for Taylor as it is about V-bracing. I have concluded that this is about preparing for Bob Taylor's retirement and about a smooth succession. I think they went over the top a little, but they had a big magazine to fill up... And after all, they have to sell a lot of guitars.

- Glenn
Congrats on the Martin D-45. I look forward to hearing about it when it finds its way into your capable hands. I tend to agree with your assessment about the succession plan and about having more guitar choices being a good thing in the long run. I will probably try out one of the V-class braced Taylors at some point.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Hi, I have not read all new posts in this thread, but has anyone noticed the 6th string G at 0:07 in the video. This seems to have extremely short sustain.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Let me help this thread hit 300.....

Old 02-10-2018, 01:56 PM

Me too..... this should be post #300
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion