The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Humanist

Default Thomas Rein RJN-3C...NGD...new-videos added.

Some folks here know that about 3+ months ago I discovered a re-awakening of my ability to play on a standard scale guitar. It's a quirky but significant story that I won't go into here...in part it revolves around a nice visit we had with Pierre Bensusan.

One curious detail was that I actually only had my short-scale Classical (thank you, Anders Sterner) and a Larrivée Parlor here, along with a couple of 1999 Bozo Podunavac guitars, the latter of which are full-scale, but the bodies are a tad large for me, more of a SJ size.

For the first time in about 17 years I had the ability to sort of scan the marketplace, see who was doing what on a "standard" basis, and try to discover if there were any existing guitars that would fit for me...primarily OM sized instruments, even though I started with a Bensusan Signature Lowden.

I have a whole bunch of luthier/builder friends who would be happy to build for me, but aside from one long-term iron in the fire (sometime in 2018, perhaps), I would have had at least a 12 month wait...even up to 18 months or more...and I really was *not* looking forward to that process, especially after losing my Michaud 00-R a year ago to USPS damage...so many *fulfilled* hopes dashed to smithereens in an instant...I just am not comfortable waiting for a build-spot to open up right now, and I wasn't going to ask anyone for any special favors, for sure.

So I just have been looking around for mostly 25.4"/645-650mm scale length guitars, following a bunch of FS posts here, scanning some of the usual-suspect retailers for anything in an OM size, and with some reasonably-close bridge and fingerboard specs. Even so, the pickings (pun intended) were few.

Then I saw the thread here about adjustable neck-angle guitars, and have always thought that if executed properly, as some have done, this would be an interesting avenue to explore...

On that thread I saw a name that I was only somewhat familiar with...but felt there was some substance in regard to his building in both the classical and steel-string world, and a reputation worth considering.

Tom Rein.

So I looked around and couldn't find my primary-target, which would have been something pre-owned, that I could pick up at a bit of a discount, and then perhaps find something good.

Then I saw a Malaysian Blackwood/Euro Spruce (moon) FS at Dream Guitars, https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/rein-rjn-3c.html.

Aside from being new (not my first choice), this instrument had all the specs I needed...it's just that I had never touched one of Tom's guitars, nor do I even know of anyone amongst my friends who have been customers, played one at a show, etc...just some commentary here, and my having perused his website some time ago...but the specs were there, and the adjustable neck as well..

I debated with myself for about 30 minutes about risking the round-trip shipping costs, and then realized (as I often conclude) that I would be dead one day, and probably wouldn't miss the dough for shipping.

Well, after a bunch of words (above), I'll try to cut to the chase:

Tom Rein builds as good of a guitar as anyone reviewed or posting here on the forum, and as good as anything I've played, period. He is easily placed (in my mind) as worthy of any and all of the respect that the top-builders have in our community...because he *is* one of those top-builders.

There is a lot to like, both tone and aesthetics-wise, IMO. Full, defined bass, along with pure, round but bitingly-direct trebles are just one place to start. Certainly completely balanced across/up-and-down the fingerboard.

With his classical heritage, Tom presents a bit of a classical aesthetic as applied to the steel-string world, and the result is a modern look, with a nod to the roots of both classical and steel-string instruments.

The workmanship/wood-artistry is second to none, and I have already spent enough time with his neck-adjustment process to conclude that I wish every guitar I have ever owned was built with this feature. No more saddle adjustments (seasonal changes, or in adding a pick-up, for instance), and along with the stiffness/stability of his double-sides building process, never, ever having to think about a neck reset.

So the guitar is here, and while I have the action set a bit low as the guitar acclimates to Oregon, I'm absolutely on-board. I may need to raise the action just a hair, but that is just a 30 second leave-the-strings-on (!) process, and something I am looking forward to, to fine-tune the set-up of the guitar in the most simple way ever...

Here is a quick and dirty video, no eq, no effects, no-nothing, other than a couple of nice mics plugged into my camcorder...

12/23/17 EDIT:

Yeah, I've been enjoying my new Tom Rein RJN-3C guitar.
Did a coupla' quick demos today, here's one of them:

Here's the second:

Originally posted:

EDIT:

I freakin' *hate* my playing on the Buddy Boy video (above)...but I'll leave it up for now.

I am up past my bedtime, specifically to record something else to present to Tom and all...

...this rendition of my tune titled "Three A.M." felt better to me, and I'm writing this as the video is uploading to YouTube (our DSL connection is slower than slow, but that's all we can get out here in the Oregon countryside...no cable).

Here it is, and as with the other quick-demos I have made, no eq, no effects, no nuthin' but a couple of nice microphones in front of a beautiful guitar:

BTW, the help from Logan at Dream Guitars was quite good (getting a few additional *accurate* measurements, especially), and the purchase/shipping process sets a standard for the industry, IMO. They have a great deal negotiated with FedEx, which the clients benefit from, and they provide everything one needs to go through the process in a direct fashion, even to initiate a return, if necessary. As a former retailer (me) who is not often impressed with retailer behavior, well, Paul Heumiller is doing things absolutely right.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 12-24-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Sounds very warm and inviting. Congrats on your new musical companion!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 12-07-2017, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Sounds beautiful, Larry--congrats on finding your Rein...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

I met Tom at Memphis and played one of his guitars there. I told him that his guitars had the "it" factor missing in so many others. Really nice guy as well.

Congrats on your new guitar!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Great to hear you playing Larry...

Congrats
Old 12-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Humanist

Photos courtesy of Dream Guitars, used with permission (thank you, Paul Heumiller):

Old 12-07-2017, 06:00 PM

Congrats, Larry. I have followed his guitars for some years now ever since happening on some of the videos at Fazios Music and hearing their demos and praise for Tom's guitars.
this instrument looks amazing.....as does the sound!
Play in good health!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 PM

I was going to say the same thing, Brian Rankins at formally at Fazios Frets and Friends used to RAVE about Tom's guitars....sounds great, but you make everything sound great....I am sure the Rein helps immensely though.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 PM

Although I love my Frogs, my Rein 00 is the guitar I'd save from a burning building.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's a nice honest looking guitar from a maker I haven't heard of. And well played, I thought. I hoped you'd crack a smile at the end, but I'm betting you felt it inside.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Well, after a bunch of words (above), I'll try to cut to the chase:

Tom Rein builds as good of a guitar as anyone reviewed or posting here on the forum, and as good as anything I've played, period. He is easily placed (in my mind) as worthy of any and all of the respect that the top-builders have in our community...because he *is* one of those top-builders.

There is a lot to like, both tone and aesthetics-wise, IMO. Full, defined bass, along with pure, round but bitingly-direct trebles are just one place to start. Certainly completely balanced across/up-and-down the fingerboard.

With his classical heritage, Tom presents a bit of a classical aesthetic as applied to the steel-string world, and the result is a modern look, with a nod to the roots of both classical and steel-string instruments.

The workmanship/wood-artistry is second to none, and I have already spent enough time with his neck-adjustment process to conclude that I wish every guitar I have ever owned was built with this feature. No more saddle adjustments (seasonal changes, or in adding a pick-up, for instance), and along with the stiffness/stability of his double-sides building process, never, ever having to think about a neck reset.
Being both an admirer of your playing and an unabashed fan of Tom's work, it is incredibly satisfying to read this Larry. I've tried to sing Tom's praises for some time now but your words have much more clout (deservedly so).

Congratulations and enjoy the guitar. It's very cool to know that we have similar guitars. (my rjn-5 is lutz spruce and malaysian blackwood)

Last edited by vpolineni; 12-08-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 AM
Humanist

Thanks to all for the interest, and for the kind words.

All kudos should go to Tom, as he is yet another builder that we should be talking about, and working with on custom commissions.

Meanwhile, I freakin' *hate* my playing on the Buddy Boy video...but I'll leave it up for now.

I am up past my bedtime, specifically to record something else to present to Tom and all...

...this rendition of my tune titled "Three A.M." felt better to me, and I'm writing this as the video is uploading to YouTube (our DSL connection is slower than slow, but that's all we can get out here in the Oregon countryside...no cable).

Here it is, and as with the other quick-demos I have made, no eq, no effects, no nuthin' but a couple of nice microphones in front of a beautiful guitar:

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 12-08-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 AM

Your playing on that guitar sounds very good. You must be over the moon at being able to play standard scale guitars again after so long.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Wink

..... Maybe someone can clarify what Tom is building now. His site is a little confusing. At one place on his site, he says he uses the adjustable neck technology (RJN) on all his steel strings. But if you look at his current models, none of them have it. They are "R", not "RJN." And the R3 is no longer offered, only the R1 which is a Robert Johnson model. No OMs listed. Could be his site is just out of date maybe??
Steve
Old 12-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
..... Maybe someone can clarify what Tom is building now. His site is a little confusing. At one place on his site, he says he uses the adjustable neck technology (RJN) on all his steel strings. But if you look at his current models, none of them have it. They are "R", not "RJN." And the R3 is no longer offered, only the R1 which is a Robert Johnson model. No OMs listed. Could be his site is just out of date maybe??
Steve
Steve,

I'll clarify a bit. Tom's site is a bit out of date so that is why you do not see the rjn-3 listed on it. From what I've seen in his shop, the rjn-3 and the rjn-1 are his two most popular models right now. The rjn-3 is similar in dimensions to an OM.

Regarding the adjustable neck feature, you're mistaken on this point. If you look at guitar gallery's website now, you'll see two of his guitars for sale-one built this year and the other from 2009. Take a look at the neck heel from the 2009 model:

You'll see where the allen key inserts to adjust the neck. My 2012 rjn-5 has this same location. Now take a look at the guitar built this year:

You'll see that it's not there anymore. In either 2013 or 2014, Tom switched the location of this to underneath the soundboard (similar to where truss rod adjustments are made) which is seen on this guitar and as I'm sure larry can attest to, on his guitar as well.

So the adjustable neck feature is still very much available and used. Tom prefers to use double sides and is a big believer in using a french polish finish for the soundboard too.

Last edited by vpolineni; 12-09-2017 at 11:23 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop