The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2017, 01:03 PM

Default NGD Emerald Custom Shop X20

Finally posting a picture of my new X20, received last week. After seeing all the posts of Emeralds with cactus’ and sand, I decided since it was snowing today that it was time to represent, so I took it out into the snow because I could with no ill effects. Without the sun, the blue doesn’t shine out, but that’s OK with me. In the sunlight it has a beautiful deep blue color. I ordered a custom shop with a wider neck and the full Baggs Anthem system in it. I took a week to test drive it before offering any opinion, to be fair to me and the guitar. It came with D’Adarrio s heavier than I usually use, which pointed out that my callouses needed some build up, which they now have.
Out of the box the guitar was almost perfectly tuned. It is beautiful, and although I would have liked to have the funds to get a woody, I have no issues showing off a CF guitar for what it is, and I think it’s more noticeable that it’s not a normal guitar with the CF finish. I took it to an open mic last weekend and before it came out of the case, people were stopping and saying how beautiful it was. In retrospect, I have no problem that I don’t have a woody, it’s beautiful in deep blue.
Imo, the sound is excellent, it is equal to any wood guitar except possibly the very best wood guitars made, but then I haven’t played that many ‘great’ guitars. This one will do just fine for me. Plugged in I needed to make what was an easy adjustment to the master control to get the sound I prefer. The pickup system has the ability to go far beyond any treble level you might want or need. As far as bass, there’s plenty of it and you can feel it in your chest though the body of the guitar. The sound across all strings is pretty much balanced, and sounds great plugged in. Not just my opinion, others in the room were more than willing to tell me how good it sounded.
Regarding the neck width, I am so very glad I requested a 1 7/8” neck. Previously my fingers could not avoid the occasional muting of adjacent strings. For the most part, that is done now, they all play and ring out as they should, which has made me very happy. My wife has heard me say ‘Oh my gosh’ (or a variant) so many times over that last week as I tried out songs I’ve played forever, now without random muting. Although others might not realize the muted notes, I did. There is certainly an adjustment period needed for the extra width, but I am adjusting rapidly, and finding new freedoms in the extra space. Strums sound better, picking sounds better, and I can even play a few leads without worrying about muting the next note.
I’d like to thank you all for the information provided through many CF posts, and especially Ted at LA Guitars and SeamusKnives for their input and insight in private discussions. Ted, I will gladly advise anyone asking for a quality instrument to you. And my very best to team Emerald for putting me on such a great instrument.
Trying to get an account set up to post pics. Will post as soon as I can.

Emerald X20 Artisan w/Anthem
83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string

Last edited by Bghd; 12-09-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new X20 Custom! Mine is still in limbo, somewhere between the Emerald Isle and the US of A. I'm expecting it sometime next week and like you I'll give it a week or so of getting to know it before I post.

Thanks for the feedback on how it performed at the open mic as well.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:24 PM

[/URL][/IMG]
http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bg...tps4.jpg.html][/URL]
http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Bg...fpdw.jpg.html][/URL]

83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string
Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 PM

Big John,
Almost messaged you yesterday to see where you were with your wait for the X20. It looks beautiful and I'm glad that you, like me, are so much happier with the wider nut. The love affair with this guitar is going to go on and on, I'll bet. It just offers a lot.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM

It looks slick and it seems you are pleased.
Custom guitars are cool!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:43 PM

Wish I could see it but there's just blank icons on my screen. When I clicked on the links next to them, it took me to photo bucket and said "Sorry, the requested page does not exist".

Maybe you can see the photos if you have a photobucket account, but I don't. That maybe the problem.

Blue would be nice on an X20 for sure.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM

Looks good in PA snow,,, are you near Shirleysburg?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

An X20 looks real nice in blue. Congrats and continued enjoyment!

Heck, you have more snow in PA than we do here much further north in Quebec, Canada!
Old 12-09-2017, 03:16 PM

Big John, that is one beautiful looking guitar
Old 12-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Guest 928

Big;

Very nice instrument and a cool blue. One of the neat things about Emerald is the ability to get the scale and nut width that serve your needs. It looks to me like you got a keeper.

AC: Normally I'm the one not getting it. I don't have photobucket, and I'm getting the picture. I'd give you a hand, but I'm probably the worst tech support on this forum.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Big;

Very nice instrument and a cool blue. One of the neat things about Emerald is the ability to get the scale and nut width that serve your needs. It looks to me like you got a keeper.

AC: Normally I'm the one not getting it. I don't have photobucket, and I'm getting the picture. I'd give you a hand, but I'm probably the worst tech support on this forum.
This is all I see

Well, I'm not viewing from the States, at the moment. Maybe there's some issue with that. I can usually tunnel out without much problem--but not this time. Didn't work.

There are few other options--but I've spent enough time on it so, letting it go. My imagination can see it just fine. :-)
Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Big John! Nice that Emerald was able to give you the additional width on the neck. Now, as far as the snow... I spent a lot of years in the frozen northland and would be delighted to not see it, and especially not be in it, again! That said, your guitar is great looking.

Nice review!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:03 PM

Thanks folks for the kind words. Sorry about the pix, I wasn't happy having to sign up with AdverPhotobucket just to show them, but it is what it is.
Kramer, Shirleysburg is a bit more than an hour away, I'm near the PA/MD line near Shrewsbury PA. I'm so glad I took the leap of faith to get the guitar I now have, and it all started with a friends Rainsong Jumbo that I just loved to play. No regrets only ongoing happiness. I needed the width far more than I had realized.

83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string
Old 12-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Guest 928

AC;

You have my full attention. Tunneling out sounds risky, dangerous, and fun. And "letting it all go" is a global fantasy. The best part is you using your imagination, wow! You Go!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghd View Post
......I ordered a custom shop with a wider neck and the full Baggs Anthem system in it. ......Regarding the neck width, I am so very glad I requested a 1 7/8” neck...... and finding new freedoms in the extra space. Strums sound better, picking sounds better, and I can even play a few leads without worrying about muting the next note.......
I took the heavier strings off my new X20-12 by removing the octaves first. That left essentially a light gauge set (54-12) on a 1-7/8" neck. It was very satisfying to play for an hour, even with a non-optimal set up. (A proper set up would require a new nut made for six strings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
An X20 looks real nice in blue.......
All the color choices are quite pretty - hard to pick a favorite. Woody veneer is wonderful too, but I like seeing the CF personally - especially when good light "pops" the color.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber