The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 AM
roylor4 roylor4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McLeansville, NC
Posts: 5,692
Default Any love for Quilter amps here?

Hi guys,

I was a stickler for all tube for many years. My mindset is now much more open to SS and modelers (heresy, I know).

Quilter amps seem like they have a lot going for them. Light, small and allegedly -quite powerful. I DO have a REALLY hard time thinking a 100 watt SS amp with a 8" speaker can keep up with a 40-60 watt tube amp, which is what they claim.

Do any of ya'll own or have experience with these cute l'il guys (especially the small Aviator)?

Thanks.
__________________
Roy


Eastman E6OM, Ibanez AC240, Alvarez MFA70
Gretsch Boxcar, RK ROS-10, Alvarez LJ2E
Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini, Fender Frontman 25R
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90, G&L Ascari GTS

Our website with audio clips - updated 5/30/17

My Solo site - Roy Alderman Music

Last edited by roylor4; 12-02-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Davis Webb Davis Webb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,717
Default

They are some of the best amps on the market now. I have seen them do quite well with blues bands, they punch right through the drums, bass and into the crowd. Go for it!
__________________
Larrivee, Gibson, Ovation, Strat, Tele
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:33 PM
H165 H165 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woods; OC, CA
Posts: 1,126
Default

I have one. It's an excellent amp. I've been fortunate to play on stage with one at my side, and these little amps are hard to believe. Straight up, or miced for a larger stage mix, they sound good and perform well.

"Play before you buy" is always a good idea, but since I've owned mine I would not buy anything else without first playing one of these.

Completely subjective, but I twice took it to local high power electric jams in rooms full of over-enthusiastic gearheads, and it kept up, no problem.

In our regular gang there are three of these little Quilters. One is used for a harmonica, one for a Telecaster, and one for an 8-string Fender lap steel. They are easily the best amps in the room. Guess I'm starting to sound like an ad...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2017, 10:37 PM
AcouStickistNS AcouStickistNS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 113
Default Yes, MicroPro Mach 2, 12" speaker

Works fantastic, I can even run my acoustic guitar through the clean channel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2017, 01:48 AM
aknow aknow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nipomo, California
Posts: 3,481
Default

I just got the little Quilter 101 w/ a Quilter 2X8" Cab and I can't believe how great it sounds. Also, using the Quilter Bassblock 800 amp. Their equipment is first rate, and very light. (fairy dust inside?)......
__________________
2012 Cervantes Crossover I
2011 Martin OO28-VS
2012 Breedlove Focus SE Walnut
2014 Collings OM 2 HG
2015 Breedlove Oregon Concert CE 25th anniv.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 AM
AcouStickistNS AcouStickistNS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 113
Default Pedal sized amps

I'm thinking this is showing where the future of amps are going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Y1iYjp4cyck

Just plug your pedal board into a speaker cabinet. This would be hilarious to have right now - play live, bring a huge cab but no head. Watch for any guitar player try and figure out how you are making any sound. Better yet, disguise the "pedal" as something else, stick a Boss emblem over the Quilter logo and watch the fun as a crowd of guitar players gather around you trying to figure out what you are doing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eastern Canada
Posts: 30,801
Default

I've never heard of Quilter amps before. I'm going to have to do a little Googling later this afternoon.

I take it that they're one of the better SS amp companies out there?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-03-2017, 08:03 AM
roylor4 roylor4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McLeansville, NC
Posts: 5,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never heard of Quilter amps before. I'm going to have to do a little Googling later this afternoon.

I take it that they're one of the better SS amp companies out there?
Pat quilter is the designer - he was the founder of QSC and has huge street cred.
__________________
Roy


Eastman E6OM, Ibanez AC240, Alvarez MFA70
Gretsch Boxcar, RK ROS-10, Alvarez LJ2E
Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini, Fender Frontman 25R
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90, G&L Ascari GTS

Our website with audio clips - updated 5/30/17

My Solo site - Roy Alderman Music
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2017, 08:11 AM
roylor4 roylor4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McLeansville, NC
Posts: 5,692
Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I have one. It's an excellent amp. I've been fortunate to play on stage with one at my side, and these little amps are hard to believe. Straight up, or miced for a larger stage mix, they sound good and perform well.

"Play before you buy" is always a good idea, but since I've owned mine I would not buy anything else without first playing one of these.

Completely subjective, but I twice took it to local high power electric jams in rooms full of over-enthusiastic gearheads, and it kept up, no problem.

In our regular gang there are three of these little Quilters. One is used for a harmonica, one for a Telecaster, and one for an 8-string Fender lap steel. They are easily the best amps in the room. Guess I'm starting to sound like an ad...
Are you using the Aviator or Mach 2? What speaker size? Does it truly sound and respond like a tube amp? How about clean headroom?

Thanks for all the input fellas. I particularly like the fairy dust comment

I guess I am really looking for fairy dust and I'm willing to pay for it (well, eventually). I'm plenty strong, but our gigginig vehicle is a Corolla, so saving space as well as great tone is high on my list.

I really like the tone of the Blues Junior but I would prefer smaller and lighter.

Keep the info and comments coming, it is much appreciated.
__________________
Roy


Eastman E6OM, Ibanez AC240, Alvarez MFA70
Gretsch Boxcar, RK ROS-10, Alvarez LJ2E
Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini, Fender Frontman 25R
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90, G&L Ascari GTS

Our website with audio clips - updated 5/30/17

My Solo site - Roy Alderman Music
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2017, 08:13 AM
roylor4 roylor4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McLeansville, NC
Posts: 5,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
They are some of the best amps on the market now. I have seen them do quite well with blues bands, they punch right through the drums, bass and into the crowd. Go for it!
My electric repertoire is mostly Blues. Sounds promising.
__________________
Roy


Eastman E6OM, Ibanez AC240, Alvarez MFA70
Gretsch Boxcar, RK ROS-10, Alvarez LJ2E
Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini, Fender Frontman 25R
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90, G&L Ascari GTS

Our website with audio clips - updated 5/30/17

My Solo site - Roy Alderman Music
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-03-2017, 08:48 AM
KevWind KevWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Out West
Posts: 8,886
Default

I had heard of Quilter but have never played one. If I were ever interested in going SS It is one brand I would consider . I searched Quilter Labs web site but could not find out if they are actually mfg'ed in the US or not.

This is an intriguing series of videos

__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...



http://soundcloud.com/kevwind
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-03-2017, 09:02 AM
roylor4 roylor4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: McLeansville, NC
Posts: 5,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I had heard of Quilter but have never played one. If I were ever interested in going SS It is one brand I would consider . I searched Quilter Labs web site but could not find out if they are actually mfg'ed in the US or not.

This is an intriguing series of videos
Hi Kev, I couldn't find it again, but if I'm not mistaken I read that Quilters are hand built in California using mostly local sourcing for materials. I'm almost sure i read that in the literature yesterday but cannot locate it today

If I find it, I will post a link to verify.
__________________
Roy


Eastman E6OM, Ibanez AC240, Alvarez MFA70
Gretsch Boxcar, RK ROS-10, Alvarez LJ2E
Roland Cube street EX, Fender Passport Mini, Fender Frontman 25R
G&L Tribute Bluesboy, G&L Tribute Ascari GT90, G&L Ascari GTS

Our website with audio clips - updated 5/30/17

My Solo site - Roy Alderman Music
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2017, 09:16 AM
KevWind KevWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Out West
Posts: 8,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
I'm thinking this is showing where the future of amps are going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Y1iYjp4cyck

Just plug your pedal board into a speaker cabinet. This would be hilarious to have right now - play live, bring a huge cab but no head. Watch for any guitar player try and figure out how you are making any sound. Better yet, disguise the "pedal" as something else, stick a Boss emblem over the Quilter logo and watch the fun as a crowd of guitar players gather around you trying to figure out what you are doing.
Interesting micro amp format .

I think it is more like another step in the move towards smaller lighter that has been going on since solid state hit the market in the 60's. And more of an additional option, as opposed to portent of a unilateral future. In fact , what has has been happening on a limited basis, is that some of the big touring acts (particularly in mega production Pop music) and some smaller acts are forgoing dedicated guitar amps altogether full size or micro, and running software boxes that model or profile amps and feed at the preamp stage, directly into the huge PA line array systems

While it is alway hard to accurately predict the future and there is no doubt that things are continuing to change as tech advances. I personally do not think that the more traditional guitar amp, including tube amps, are going away anytime soon. In fact it kinda seems like the opposite it true and that currently there are more amp makers and better amps than at any time in the past .
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...



http://soundcloud.com/kevwind

Last edited by KevWind; 12-03-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-03-2017, 09:19 AM
KevWind KevWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Out West
Posts: 8,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Hi Kev, I couldn't find it again, but if I'm not mistaken I read that Quilters are hand built in California using mostly local sourcing for materials. I'm almost sure i read that in the literature yesterday but cannot locate it today

If I find it, I will post a link to verify.
I thought I might have read it somewhere also but could not find any verification either .
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...



http://soundcloud.com/kevwind
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 AM
printer2 printer2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,855
Default

In the video I found the two rock examples to be muffled. Otherwise not bad sounding.
__________________
Fred
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
aviator, powerful ss amps, quilter amps, quilter mach 2

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=