The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 AM

Default Adjustable neck guitars

Howdy folks

I’m contemplating ordering a custom adjustable neck joint Guitar. I have a few other specs I’d like it like an arm wedge, double sided / reinforced sides, and I’d like to discuss the woods, bracing and voicing with the luthier, etc. it will probably be an OM size, which is more comfortable for me as one gets older.

Reading the forums, there seems to be quite a few really competent luthiers out there who do that design, some seem-initially-to have more experience than others, the pricing is also quite wide, and I was wondering what your experiences were when ordering one, what tone do the different luthiers gravitate towards ( I know, it’s difficult, but a preliminary idea is welcomed).

I’m a globe trotter so I don’t always have access to experienced repairmen. I’m currently in Europe though.

This will probably take me some time to reach a clear idea of what I want in terms of specs, but no harm in starting now ����

Cheers and thank you for your help
H

Be & Remember ☮

Last edited by HNS; 11-29-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:54 AM

First off, why do you want an adjustable neck?

While they have some benefits, there are also some drawbacks and not all designs are the same. Some designs can cause intonation issues- very minimally, but the problem does exist.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:05 AM

For guitars with a modern sound and unusual bracing, I believe that Lukas brunner in Switzerland it's a guitar with an adjustable neck. I have one of his detachable neck travel guitars.

I've come across the following luthiers who build adjustable neck guitars only to hearing about them on the Internet:-

Mike doolin - modern sound, neck adjustable through a key, retired

Mike baranik - modern sound, neck adjustable through a key

Laurent brondel - neo traditional sound, howe-orme type neck joint

N k forster - modern sound, howe-orme type neck joint

Both brunner and forster have their workshops in Europe.

I figure you probably know about the above already but in case you haven't found about them yet, hope that it is of some help.

Last edited by gitarro; 11-29-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:17 AM

One caution about adjustable neck joints.... They can move around.

They were very common all over Europe - but seem to have gone out of favor maybe 140 years ago except in Russia.. Where they were made with adjustable neck joints into the 1980's...

My Russian friends universally hate them... These fellows talk about doing all sorts of gyrations to stabilize the neck joints so they didn't move around including filling them full of glue and wood. One particularly famous Russian guitarist would stuff combs into the neck joint to keep it from moving during performances..

Now.. No doubt several fine luthiers have worked most of this out... But even still... With the consistency and quality of modern strings, double acting truss rods, and modern guitar construction... What problem is it solving?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:48 AM

Thank you all. These are exactly the responses I was hoping for.

I wanted a guitar with an adjustable neck basically to make a neck reset relatively easier. I was considering this or a bolt on neck.

If you live in a country with limited repairmen, you’d know what I mean. A dovetail neck reset in this case is no simple matter and an inexperienced repairman can ruin the guitar. Otherwise, it would be part of the normal lifecycle of the guitar.

I didn’t know that they had serious issues though.

Be & Remember ☮

Last edited by HNS; 11-29-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Mike Baranik and Martin Keith are two I know of that have builds posted here. Michi Matsuda also has done them.... David Schramm does them on classical guitars. Jeff Babicz would be aanother. I think Todd Rose does one too..
Old 11-29-2017, 09:21 AM

Yes, and Kent chasson as well.

Be & Remember ☮
Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 AM

Bill Wise of Charis Guitars has done them as well. Not sure if he still does.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

I know lots of luthiers that have built adjustable necks (I've done a few myself) but I'd say Martin Keith's is the slickest and best system I've seen yet!

Mike
instagram
Old 11-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
I know lots of luthiers that have built adjustable necks (I've done a few myself) but I'd say Martin Keith's is the slickest and best system I've seen yet!

Mike
I missed you on my list... hope you're doing well Mike. Tough to think with only 2 thumbs...
Old 11-29-2017, 10:26 AM

Add Thomas Rein to this list. One advantage I've noticed is that it's easy to adjust the action for strumming and fingerstyle
Old 11-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I have one of Mike Baranik’s adjustable neck guitars. The adjustment mechanism is quite simple and allows for adjustment via a hex bolt on the heel. It is rock solid and hasn’t moved in 6 years.

He had Dorian Michael tour with a prototype to make sure it was functional and durable. There are a number of people on this forum who own a Meridian, which is the model that uses the adjustable neck. It works like a charm.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM

I'll 2nd Thomas Rein guitars. Some day I would like to try one personally, but there is are lot of video/demos/info out there on his guitars. I've only heard positive things about his guitars. He has also posted before on this forum, although it has been a while I believe.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:30 AM

Another builder eith an adustible neck jwould be Rick Turner.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

I own a Baranik 00M with his adjustable neck. It is completely unobtrusive and works exactly like it should. I often make minor adjustments when weather changes.

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop