The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-29-2017, 03:34 PM

Epiphone Valve Special, with onboard reverb, and add a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive. Easily within your budget, fills all your requested needs.

Your Boss RV6 should be plenty good also, if you want your 'verb in pedal form.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:24 PM

If you buy the Katana 100 watt you will really need the optional foot pedal to be able to switch effects in and out otherwise the effects are a bit useless live unless you only want one sound and one volume.

I would recommend you listen to amps on your shortlists on Youtube. A lot of demos are useless but the better ones have the amp close-miked into a decent audio interface and if you listen with decent speakers or headphones it can give you an idea. Better than nothing.

I've just bought a Marshall Code 25 amp and I'm still gassing for a valve amp.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
PSA: There are sales, coupon offers, one-day/one-hour specials, etc. of all kinds going on during the Christmas season; you could probably land a brand-new/in-the-box V55 for similar money (and the V22 for even less ) - shop around, and don't hesitate to call the dealers and ask for a better price...
I'll make sure to keep an eye out for those deals!
Old 11-29-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
If any of you follow Steve’s amplifier posts you notice his appreciation for the Bugera (Buger I call it,) and he has lots of experience with it. I and another poster followed his recommendation and both bought one without hearing it first. I could not have been more pleased.

The Buger is extremely versatile in its tonal and sound capability and a LOT of tube type amplifier for the money. My blind faith in Steve has paid off with a wonderful piece of gear that is serving me very well. It filled a large room we call our fellowship hall, but is really a combination gym and cafeteria with acoustics you would expect of such a room.

I teased Steve about the commission he must have earned recommending these units, but in fact it is a very good recommendation from a trustworthy and helpful man. If you only need one channel and you buy the V22 I fully expect that you will never look back.
Thank you! That's reassuring! Right now I'm thinking about Bugera, fender blues jr, peavey valveking, and boss katana as possible choices. Hopefully I can narrow these down, but Bugera is high on my list.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKW-HTX View Post
Yeah, I haven't heard anything bad. Many people are comparing it with tube amps which is a good sign for the Katana. Yes there's a 50W version for cheaper.
I have checked out the Katana several times. It isn't without issues, or at least, the one I tried wasn't. FWIW, I am not well schooled in how to use all it's capabilities (i.e. Pairing pedals with different tone options + fx) but know enough to hear problems when I come across them. When engaging some mid-high gain tones there was an unbearable amount of white noise - the worst i have ever heard in a SS amp. I also did not check out the 100 watt version, but looked at the Katana 50.

It is better than most modeling amps to be sure, but I found the clean tones of the Fender Champion superior.

Neither touch the clean tones or raw power of the Blues Jr which is far more organic sounding, as it should be.

I tried the Bugera V22 and was disappointed a bit too. To be fair, I didn't spend much time with it but it sounded very plain and "vanilla" to me. I'm sure better tones could be gotten from it but it's not really in the running (for me) due to size and weight. The Blues Jr is about 10 lbs lighter, but still heavier than I would prefer. Sometime you do what you gotta for tone.

I would also add that the Fender Super Champ X2 is worth considering. Not as powerful as the BJ and the clean isn't as good, but it was much better sounding to me than the Katana. They can be had used for $250-275 and the BJ for $275-359 - at least in my area.

Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Boss KATANA 50w , volume pedal and maybe an over drive/ boost pedal.
I have heard of a foot switch for going between the gain/regular channel.
but, have not found one yet.
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
Old 11-29-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
For the budget stated I agree the Mustang GT should be a very decent amp, but isn't the Mustang a single channel? Of course he may be fine with a single channel, but it is something to consider.

Yeah single channel but so many features that the single channel thing is almost a non issue. Having so many models and effects at a touch of your tablet or optional footswitch. And they do sound really good. I’d go with the 100 because of the Celestion speaker, but the 40 should be good enough for church.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:26 PM

UPDATE: The bugera deal didn't go through (was asking for too much) and
i was too impatient to wait for the holiday deals. Ended up getting a peavey classic 50 (the new-styled ones) for $275. I like how it sounds so far, only con is that it's pretty heavy.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKW-HTX View Post
UPDATE: The bugera deal didn't go through (was asking for too much) and
i was too impatient to wait for the holiday deals. Ended up getting a peavey classic 50 (the new-styled ones) for $275. I like how it sounds so far, only con is that it's pretty heavy.
Congratulations! I bet it sounds awesome. I have always loved Peavey's stuff.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-03-2017, 06:48 PM

katana katana katana

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
electric amp, overdrive, pedalboard, pedalboard setup, reverb