The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 AM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 957
Default

There are so many adoring fans of the Cargo. I didnt realize it was such a well-loved guitar. Must check that one out sometime!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is online now
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: 45.6N, 75.9W / 26.5N, 81.9W
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
There are so many adoring fans of the Cargo. I didnt realize it was such a well-loved guitar. Must check that one out sometime!
Kramster has a bunch of them. Did you not try them while there?
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

'02 Taylor 814c | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-31-2017, 12:46 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,393
Default

I do not generally do steel string guitars. However, when I first saw and played a Cargo I was immediately fascinated at such good sound coming from such a small instrument. I ordered one from Ted, enjoyed it enough to then sell it and go for the Ox--both guitars were stellar. I gave them up to pursue my nylon interests but several years later, when peavey took over, I had to see the new improved Cargo. It is an incredible instrument. I ultimately sold it to stay focused on my nylon hunt. I think everyone should have a cargo sometime in their musical life. Ask Kramster, I heard that at one time he had 100 of them so that no matter when he was, there was a Cargo.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-31-2017, 12:50 PM
Acousticado's Avatar
Acousticado Acousticado is online now
Tommy CanAm
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: 45.6N, 75.9W / 26.5N, 81.9W
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I do not generally do steel string guitars. However, when I first saw and played a Cargo I was immediately fascinated at such good sound coming from such a small instrument. I ordered one from Ted, enjoyed it enough to then sell it and go for the Ox--both guitars were stellar. I gave them up to pursue my nylon interests but several years later, when peavey took over, I had to see the new improved Cargo. It is an incredible instrument. I ultimately sold it to stay focused on my nylon hunt. I think everyone should have a cargo sometime in their musical life. Ask Kramster, I heard that at one time he had 100 of them so that no matter when he was, there was a Cargo.
Iirc, it was photos/vids of Marks Cargos where Gumby first made his Kramster-appearance. A highlight in carbonfiberdom.
__________________
Tom
AGF Moderator

'02 Taylor 814c | '08 Composite Acoustics Cargo RT | '79 Ibanez Dread (First acoustic) | '02 Fender Strat - American '57 RI
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-31-2017, 01:42 PM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Kramster has a bunch of them. Did you not try them while there?
I may have, but in the flurry of playing so many different instruments, I don’t recall playing that model. I’ll have to ask him for an opportunity to play one of his many Cargos, at the next hoe down.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-31-2017, 02:52 PM
kramster kramster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,062
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I may have, but in the flurry of playing so many different instruments, I dont recall playing that model. Ill have to ask him for an opportunity to play one of his many Cargos, at the next hoe down.
You did play one
__________________
Life IS good....Just getting a bit expensive.
Too much stuff...but really good stuff
And keyboards and things
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-31-2017, 03:42 PM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
You did play one
Sounds like time for a reprise on that!

Second time around, with just three: Cargo, X7 Artisan, and Savoy? I'll bring the X7 Artisan. All three in pretty much the same size and suited to the same application?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-31-2017, 04:14 PM
bry bry is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Sounds like time for a reprise on that!

Second time around, with just three: Cargo, X7 Artisan, and Savoy? I'll bring the X7 Artisan. All three in pretty much the same size and suited to the same application?


How would you compare the x7 with the cargo and savoy in tone/volume...
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-31-2017, 04:26 PM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
How would you compare the x7 with the cargo and savoy in tone/volume...
Quite easily. It isn't scientific. I play them and judge by how they sound and feel to me. That's all I need to do to make such a choice.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-31-2017, 04:39 PM
bry bry is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Quite easily. It isn't scientific. I play them and judge by how they sound and feel to me. That's all I need to do to make such a choice.


I'm still interested in the x7. If you can could you describe the tone/ volume differences between the 3. Thanks dhart
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 10-31-2017, 05:37 PM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I'm still interested in the x7. If you can could you describe the tone/ volume differences between the 3. Thanks dhart
Given Mister K's gracious and generous hosting, I would be happy to A-B-C the three and give a personal opinion as to how they compare - to my ears. Hopefully with fairly fresh strings on all three. I mostly play with a small, heavy Dunlop Jazz pick, which can drive the strings and instrument to a strong vibrancy. I do play some limited finger style as well. I look forward to carefully comparing these three instruments! .

Mister K... is it o-k?

Last edited by DHart; 10-31-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-31-2017, 07:45 PM
kramster kramster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 3,062
Default

Sounds like video time...
__________________
Life IS good....Just getting a bit expensive.
Too much stuff...but really good stuff
And keyboards and things
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-31-2017, 07:48 PM
DHart DHart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Sounds like video time...
Sounds good to me. We can coordinate by text from here!

Fresh strings?

Last edited by DHart; 10-31-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,393
Default

The ABC testing might take two forms. The first would be blind tests where Mr. K plays and DHart listens without looking--and then, without revealing his judgment, DHart plays and Mr. K listens. It would be interesting to see if they come up with consensus relative to sound.

The second test would be playability. How do the three instruments compare in comfort, easy of play, and so forth?

In any event, it's nice of DHart & Kramster to take the time to make and share such comparisons.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 PM
ac ac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,394
Default

Interesting idea.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=