The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Emerald X7 September Select series!

First, let me apologize for my long-winded review. They always are, just my conversational writing style. If you just want the summary and the photos, scroll down. If you're a details guy like me, grab a libation, strap in and read on:

Funny how sometimes things are just meant-to-be. This is one of those cases. As some may recall from the recent barrage of Emerald custom threads I placed an order for a custom X20 woody back in May. That guitar is still being built but I expect to hear on it soon. When I was working with Sean putting together my X20 order I was offered several wood veneer choices in Cocobolo, Pau Ferro, and Ziricote to name a few. I liked the Cocobolo and the Pau Ferro. I ended up going with the Cocobolo because I wanted a very dark guitar.

Fast forward a few months and the Septermber Series is unveiled with a beautiful lineup of guitars in the Pau Ferro wood veneers along with the amber back and sides (my fave), and LR Baggs Element VTC pickups. I immediately recognized the Pau Ferro veneer that I liked on the X7 model. As expected most models were snatched up quickly including the X7. A week or so later I see the X7 shown on the Emerald Facebook page as still being available. I fired off an email to Sean and he confirmed the original buyer had a change of heart so I snatched it up figuring it was somehow just meant to be. September is also my birthday month, so happy birthday to me.

The guitar shipped on a Friday and was in my hands the following Thursday, one day after my birthday! Not bad. First thing I noticed when I saw the box was just how SMALL it was. I mean, I panicked and thought that maybe they sent me an Amicus instead! But no, the X7 is actually a fairly small guitar. I can see now why so many have extolled its virtues as a great travel guitar. The little back-pack gig bag is cool looking and made well. It could use a little more padding and a few more pockets in it but it does have the one nice big front pocket so it will work fine.

The fit and finish are outstanding. I'm in quality control and inspect materials of all sorts at high magnifications for a living so I'm used to looking close. Nary a blemish to be found anywhere. The Pau Ferro book-matched veneer is very attractive and works well with the amber back and sides. The headstock is quite small and the space between the tuners is a little crowded. People with big hands might find this a tad tight. But I was able to get in and change strings with my power winder with no issues. There's also not a lot of free space on that headstock for a tuner. But my Snark fits fine albeit just barely. My other tuner, the little TC Electronics that are so popular, could not find purchase enough. No problem as it won't need much tuning anyway thanks to being a CF guitar!

The guitar sounds great. For such a small body (much smaller than I envisioned) it throws a decent amount of sound. And not only that but there is a nice evenness across the strings. There's plenty of low end. One of the 'wild cards' for me was the LR Baggs Element VTC pickup. Generally not a fan of UST/powered onboard pickups. I'm a K&K guy. First real hiccup was with my recently acquired X-vive U2 wireless system. Turn it on and I get a low squeal. Turns out that is the wireless system and it says right on the ads for it "not for active systems". I'd forgotten or just ignored that because all my guitars are (were) passive. I did read somewhere that they are developing a similar system that will work with active pickups.

I tried the X7 with just a cord and the Roland and I could not for the life of me get a decent tone at all. I was bummed to the point of considering sending it back. Then I plugged it into my Carvin AG200 and spent a little time dialing it in (didn't take much) and man oh man did I get a great tone out of it. We practiced all weekend and it sounded great. The guitar's small size makes it just sit perfectly on me and it's very comfortable to play for long periods with no discomfort to shoulder, back, elbow - nothing. Just a joy to play. I love coming home and playing it acoustically at night after work. The sound is soft enough to not be an annoyance to anyone sleeping in our relatively small home. It's probably THE most comfortable couch guitar I've ever played with no loss of great tone.

The X7 is replacing the Journey OF660 which will be sold off. I'm looking forward to doing an A/B between the X20 and the X7 in the coming weeks so stay tuned for that! Photos on the way in the next post or two. Got to get them over from my phone.

Summary:

Small
Light
Excellent build
Excellent tone (amplified or acoustically)
Nice bag
Beautiful
Nearly bulletproof

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-26-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Opening day! (Compared for size with the Journey Overhead OF660 guitar)

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-25-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

It really pops in the sun!

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-25-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

And the pro shots from Emerald!

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-25-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

'Twas a nice read. That wood is quite the looker. It has a very soft, flowing look to it. Love the placement of the two small knots...Emerald always seems to get them just in the right spot. Beautiful. Congrats!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Almost forgot! Here's the photo from Emerald when we were building the X20!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Big congrats, Methos, but I was a bit surprised by this comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
...The X7 is replacing the Journey OF660 which will be sold off..
After your positive review of the OF660 back in 2016..

Quote:
Hello AGF,

I just received this guitar literally a couple hours ago in what has to be the smoothest, easiest and fastest transaction I've ever done here on AGF - thanks Ben!

I bought this guitar on a whim because I've got a bonfire gig coming up in late October up here in cold New England and don't want to take either of my two all-wood Martin or SCGC 00 12 fretters. I had owned a Journey Overhead guitar a few years back in sitka/rosewood and it was an okay guitar but it didn't sound good enough or 'check off enough boxes' to be a keeper and I sold it a short time after buying.

Most everyone knows what the Journey Overhead series of guitars are all about but just in case someone reading this doesn't, here's the quick and dirty version: Short scale (24.5") neck, 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" spacing, 00-ish size body, disassembles at the neck and folds into an excellent backpack for easy transport. Comes with proprietary UST electronics. The neck breakdown mechanism is excellent and is super easy to breakdown and assemble in just a few minutes - seconds actually if you've the guitar in your lap.

The CF model definitely sounds MUCH better to me than the wood model I had with much better lows. The guitar is super comfortable for sitting on the couch and playing with the small body, arm bevel and belly bevel on the back. The scale is short at 24.5" but not so short as to feel like you're playing a toy guitar. String spacing is 2 1/4" but feels narrower for some reason but I'm used to the 2 3/16" of my SCGC so it's fine.

Sound is decent unplugged but plugged in it is really good. I've recorded a brief video demo about 6 minutes long playing just a couple intro/verse/chorus combos. I'm no Adrian Bellue but this gives you an average Joe's sound for those that are curious about how this guitar sounds amplified. The amp is my Carvin AG200. Just a cell phone video uploaded to You Tube so hardly hi-fidelity.

My plan was to play the guitar at the bonfire and then sell it off but the guitar ticks off enough boxes where it might just stick around - it's CF, travel size, breaks down to backpack, sounds really good unplugged and even better plugged in and doesn't tie up much $$$. Could stick around for a long time.

Here's the video:

and your update last month..

Quote:
Zombie alert! Creating my own zombie thread by bumping my NGD from a little less than a year ago since I've now seen more than a few people talking about travel guitars. Though I bought this guitar on a whim for an October bonfire gig, it is such a great little guitar that I ended up keeping it. I'm glad since these don't show up too often here and when they do they get scooped up FAST!

Count me in as a big fan of the Journey Overhead OF660 travel guitar. I love taking this guitar to open mic gigs. Guitar players lose their mind when they see me take it out and put it together and it stays in tune. Always a great conversation starter. People love it.
I thought you had a keeper for sure.

BTW, the size of the x7 surprised me as well the first time I handled one, as did the size of the CA Cargo. They are both about the same size as the Baby Taylor, but for some reason they don't look it in photos.

Anyway, use it in good health.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Great review! Funny how I had the same thoughts when I saw how small the box was when delivered. Let's just say they cram a lot of guitar in that little box! From your review, I gather you like the X7, so I'll go out on a limb here and say you will LOVE the X20. Congrats on that beautiful X7 !
Old 09-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Guest 928

Sort of makes you want to have ten of those. That's not happening. These are unique instruments and powerful icons of wooden character. I'm hoping to have one, eventually.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Big congrats, Methos, but I was a bit surprised by this comment:

After your positive review of the OF660 back in 2016..

and your update last month..

I thought you had a keeper for sure.

BTW, the size of the x7 surprised me as well the first time I handled one, as did the size of the CA Cargo. They are both about the same size as the Baby Taylor, but for some reason they don't look it in photos.

Anyway, use it in good health.
The Journey OF660 is a GREAT guitar for sure. I have now loaned it out to a buddy who travels often by air for work and he has been begging me to sell him the guitar. I rarely travel by air and on the rare occasions I do (for work) I never take a guitar. So there is really no need for the admittedly awesome break-down mechanism and backpack case that is the OF660.

That said, had I not made this spur-of-the-moment purchase of the X7 I would not be selling Journey. But since I have a dedicated buyer I will let it go. Let me say to anyone out there that is wondering, that the OF660 is a great guitar that sounds great. I would say that the X7 sounds better acoustically but the OF660 amplifies better although this might be at least in part because it has a K&K-like pickup system that I prefer and am used to amplifying, if that makes sense.

And of course the X7 looks a lot sexier!
Old 09-25-2017, 07:52 PM

Very nice Methos.
I have owned an X7 Opus and somehow allowed myself to be talked into parting with it.
So I know what great guitars they generally are and your one is unique.

Hope you continue to enjoy it in good health and that it eases the wait for the X20.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

A big WOW... that's gorgeous! Congratulations. Makes me want to order another...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 PM

Congrats Methos, I hope you love the X20 as much. You are right, it really pops in the sun there. I hope to catch you at a local open mic and hear it in person.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Congrats Methos, I hope you love the X20 as much. You are right, it really pops in the sun there. I hope to catch you at a local open mic and hear it in person.
Funny you should say that - one thing I do like about the LR Baggs Element VTC (or at least I think I'll like it) is the tone and volume controls as I think that will come in very handy with playing the open mics I frequent. The one down side I feel about the K&K is the lack of volume and tone control without adding something additional on my end. Because I play fingerstyle the mix is usually muddy. Having the tone control will allow me to boost the high end and get some sparkle back in the mix! And it will be SO easy to haul around!!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Great review! Funny how I had the same thoughts when I saw how small the box was when delivered. Let's just say they cram a lot of guitar in that little box!
My box was the same size and they shipped an x7 & Amicus in it. No problem.
But I was expecting a wooden crate stenciled "fragile".

Congratulations on a beautiful guitar! Way to go!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber