The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Default more CITES bad news for Canadians

Over on the other stringed instruments section I posted a sweet deal for a ukulele. In fact, so sweet that I wanted to get one for myself even though I really don't need another uke, but when I looked at the eBay ad more closely I noticed the "does not ship to Canada". A few years ago I had bought a higher end guitar from this dealer so thought I would ask him why he would not ship and try to change his mind. Anyway, we exchanged a few e-mails and it became apparent that he cannot ship ANY instruments to Canada that contain rosewood (this uke has a rosewood fingerboard), because manufacturers do not release the relevant documentation to dealers! This is rather grim news as now Canadians will be forced to buy instruments from Canadian dealers where the choice and selection of guitars is much smaller, prices may be higher, and fewer special deals may be available. But I'm also surprised that I have not read about this before, and am wondering if others had success buying new instruments with rosewood from authorized dealers in US and having them shipped to Canada (i.e. this one is just an isolated case).
Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

I sympathise with your problem but this is not just a North American issue - this is world wide.

No-one could sensibly support the wholesale destruction of rosewood resources as seems to be happening in Madagascar but CITES rules will affect all cross border shipments.

Imports/sales of US made instruments into Europe /Scandinavia etc., are equally affected.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I sympathise with your problem but this is not just a North American issue - this is world wide.

No-one could sensibly support the wholesale destruction of rosewood resources as seems to be happening in Madagascar but CITES rules will affect all cross border shipments.

Imports/sales of US made instruments into Europe /Scandinavia etc., are equally affected.
No, but to eliminate a product entirely from the world market is the same thing as not having it in existence because of over zealous destruction. Either way you can't have any.
Oh well, in a few hundred years folks might be able to use Rosewood again.
Anyway, it just goes underground like everything else.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2017, 11:54 AM

I have been looking at the Yamaha LJ6/LJ16's. I noticed a store in the UK still carried them (GC and Sweetwater do not). Their on-line ad stated none of them could be exported to any other country!

Is this for the same reason? They have rosewood back and sides.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-08-2017, 12:02 PM

My point did not concern the availability of rosewood. The ukulele in question is also available from Canadian dealers, as would be many other instruments that have rosewood such as Martin D-28 etc. The issue here is that manufactures may not release the documents necessary for export to the authorized dealers, but do all the cross-border traffic themselves in bulk to their authorized dealers in other countries. This severely limits the options for us end-users of guitars, but of course also shrinks the markets for those dealers who do a lot of business in other countries.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 PM

I just tested if I could order a D-28 from CME and there was no flag about CITES at all. So may not be all brands and/or authorized dealers.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:12 PM

I didn't realize this was a ban on all rosewood - I knew Brazilian was on the list...

Brutal.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 08-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
I didn't realize this was a ban on all rosewood - I knew Brazilian was on the list...

Brutal.
It's not on the same list. Better not to conflate the two.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I have been looking at the Yamaha LJ6/LJ16's. I noticed a store in the UK still carried them (GC and Sweetwater do not). Their on-line ad stated none of them could be exported to any other country!

Is this for the same reason? They have rosewood back and sides.
Yep, its because of the CITES/rosewood. Thomann doesn't sell anything with rosewood out to the US either.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:23 PM

I think the issue is that, without the proper paperwork certifying that the instrument doesn't contain any CITES limited materials, they won't let them over the borders.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 08-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
...This is rather grim news as now Canadians will be forced to buy instruments from Canadian dealers...
Hey, why not take the opportunity to start a grassroots "Buy Canadian" movement...?

Don't know about anyone else, but I could be perfectly content spending the rest of my life playing Godin/Larrivee/Halcyon and drinking Molson...
Old 08-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

Don't know about anyone else, but I could be perfectly content spending the rest of my life playing Godin/Larrivee/Halcyon
Sounds reasonable to me (though Larrivee is all US now afaik).

Quote:
drinking Molson...
Now you've gone too far.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Hey, why not take the opportunity to start a grassroots "Buy Canadian" movement...?

Don't know about anyone else, but I could be perfectly content spending the rest of my life playing Godin/Larrivee/Halcyon and drinking Molson...

Ah, but many Larrivees are now made in Oxnard, California. At least my two were.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
No, but to eliminate a product entirely from the world market is the same thing as not having it in existence because of over zealous destruction.
Really? So no value in having it exist if you can't have it?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 PM

That's not 'new' bad news, it's the same bad news that we already knew.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion