The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 AM

I play acoustic 99 percent of the time but it's definitely fun to get out what my kids call my "rock star guitar" (Fender Baja Telecaster) every now and then. I don't feel like it takes away from my acoustic time or talents one bit.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:47 AM

I have a lovely Tele and 335, and a Fender amp which is so full of charm and character and is physically tiny, but produces 15 watts of pure tube sound.

They haven't been used for ages. I'm only about learning fingerstyle these days. But I think I'll keep them anyway. You just never know.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:58 AM

I played guitar as a kid(very badly), lost interest. Now, a little over a year ago, over 10 years since I stopped playing guitar, I started again. I almost directly started with fingerstyle after going over the basics again. I love the sustain of my Lowdens, I love the insane pure sound. Then I watched this video on YouTube; .

It's so typical of my brain to play these tricks on me. Always striving for something else... Still suck at fingerstyle, and already want to try something else... stupid brain.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:59 AM

I love my Tele.. I'm more like 60-70% electric.

Just get one. Unless you're the "1 guitar" guy just get it. If you're like most people here and have a ton of acoustics just get the electric guitar, it will add more fun than more acoustic guitars.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 PM
Guest3224

Opposite. I'm almost all electric, but lately been more into acoustics. Hence just joining the forum this week!

I like acoustic b/c I can practice on the couch watching tv and not have to plug in, etc. It's more a convenience thing, though I have fallen in love with delta blues finger picking.

I like cacophony of sounds (effects, etc) way too much to give up electric ever.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm an electric player that fell for acoustic in a big way in the last couple of years, mostly finger-style. Acoustic is about all I've been doing for over a year, haven't plugged in at all in maybe three months. Get rid of my Tele, Les Paul, Strat, Artcore (335), tube amps, etc.? No way.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 PM

I've played acoustic for 50+ years.
Last year I bought a Gibson ES-335 and was surprised how much I love what it can do.

Because of the block of solid maple running down the middle and the hollow sides and f-holes, these electrics retain much of the warmth and air of an acoustic.
But they are not as subject to feedback as electrics that are fully hollow body, like the L-5.
335s are chameleons with flexible tone for many genre, blues, jazz, rock, country.

IMO the 335 is the perfect electric for lovers of acoustic guitars.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:13 PM

It seems there's some consensus here concerning acoustic players either liking or playing Tele's. I bought my MIJ Tele new in '87. I played it for years. I have a Fender Blues Junior tube amp that is spectacular, and wonderful sounds can be coaxed out of that basic setup. However, it's been years since I've played the Tele, as my former bandmates live far away; plus, I simply prefer playing solo acoustic. My Larrivee acoustics just sound better to me than solo electric, and my acoustics work better with my vocals.
1987 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Old 08-03-2017, 12:17 PM

I'm an acoustic guy that scratched the itch for an electric. I bought a Les Paul Epiphone Traditional Pro, a Fender Blues Jr tube amp, a Tube Screamer, Xotic Effects SP Compressor Pedal and a Cry Baby Wah pedal. I can not warm up to the electric. I was so desperate to warm up to the electric that I upgraded the Fender Blues Jr with different tube, reverb and speaker. Still no love. Whenever I play the Les Paul, which isn't often, I play it clean through my mixer.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 08-03-2017, 12:24 PM

Nothing like an acoustic.

Also nothing like the insane variety of sounds an electric with a good amp and pedals can make. Plus they feeel so easy to play going from an acoustic.

Got a 07 Gibson LP and love playing it. I gig mostly acoustic but can incorporate it sometimes. Mostly play the LP in the winter when gigs dry up.

Loop and effects pedal. Lots of fun!
Old 08-03-2017, 12:28 PM
Guest 728

As much as I would dig having a Tele, my electric archtop just sits in its case day after day, so I can't see ever buying another electric.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Skate View Post
It seems there's some consensus here concerning acoustic players either liking or playing Tele's. I bought my MIJ Tele new in '87. I played it for years. I have a Fender Blues Junior tube amp that is spectacular, and wonderful sounds can be coaxed out of that basic setup. However, it's been years since I've played the Tele, as my former bandmates live far away; plus, I simply prefer playing solo acoustic. My Larrivee acoustics just sound better to me than solo electric, and my acoustics work better with my vocals.
The Tele was recommended to me after starting with an acoustic cause it is very easy to setup/intonate and keep in tune and such like an acoustic.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znerken View Post
I feel that buying an electric would steal precious time from my fingerstyle practicing, so I try so stay away. However, I want often want one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znerken View Post
I play fingerstyle, have long nails, and try to get better. If I buy a tele, I would have to steal from my fingerstyle time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaineIsCarter View Post
I'm only about learning fingerstyle these days.
I've got good news! You can fingerstyle on ANY guitar.
Nylon, electric, bass, ukulele, 12ers, any shape, any size, any guitar.
Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler, Van Halen, Jimmie Page, and tens of thousands
fingerstyle electrics and sound awesome.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I've got good news! You can fingerstyle on ANY guitar.
Nylon, electric, bass, ukulele, 12ers, any shape, any size, any guitar.
Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler, Van Halen, Jimmie Page, and tens of thousands
fingerstyle electrics and sound awesome.

Ye. Perhaps my term fingerstyle was a little loose. What I mean is stuff like Martin Tallstrom play.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Default Electric

Yeah, every couple of years I get the urge to dabble with The Dark Side.

It reminds me why I play acoustic. i never keep them more than a week or so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion