The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Guest316

Default Heritage, and Passing it On

After some thought I've decided to resign (retire) from my "position" as lead acoustic guitarist for our Church worship band. I've already retired from my job, and I don't think I have the energy level to continue working with the band. So, at the end of the year, I'll stop playing - although lol I will always leave myself the option to change my mind if I want.

I got involved in playing guitar in the early 1970s. My love for playing was not only ingrown, it was also rooted in the kindness of friends. My first guitar was a Gibson B-25 which was a gift from one of these friends; and a few years later, in 1976 or so, another good friend gave me a Gibson J-50. At the time I was young and "poor". These two gifted guitars, both extremely high quality instruments, helped fuel my love for playing and gave me a lifetime of joy and even a few years of professional income. I will never forget these two individuals and their meaningful gifts.

I've been mentoring a young person who joined our worship team in late 2011. He plays a decent but forgettable Fender acoustic, and has had the same guitar for the entire 5-1/2 years that he has played with us. I've watched him grow from 12 yoa to now his late teens, and he still bears an amazing passion for playing and learning. I've grown to trust him enough that . . . . . I just gave him my Gibson Hummingbird Pro acoustic.

It wasn't really a gift. It was a pay-back to the wonderful, wonderful persons that gave me Gibson guitars so long ago.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Paying it forward is a great way to go and I'm sure the young man is thrilled. And if you're going to pass the torch, then you might as well make a statement with it too and pass a major torch. I'm thinking you just did a really important thing in a young man's life.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM

Good on you! I hope he realizes what a wonderful windfall that is!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Great story Mark and really good of you! I'm sure your young friend is thrilled to have that guitar. To lead by example is always the very best way! As Mick said...you just did a very important thing in that young mans life.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-26-2017, 02:49 PM

You gave the guy your favorite guitar.

You, sir, are a gentleman.

Greg Rappleye
Old 06-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Great way to pay it forward and what a blessing to your mentee. I gave my fairly decent Yamaha acoustic to my eldest step-son, who played it as the acoustic guitarist leading worship. He was blown away with gratitude when he got it. Maybe everyone out in the congregation won't notice the improvement in sound, but many will, and that will enhance the experience.

God bless you, Mark!
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 06-26-2017, 03:04 PM

What an awesome way to encourage a young player, and show him unconditional love in action. Love it !

( @ )===:::
Old 06-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Mark,

That's how it should be done. Beautiful, man. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:14 PM

a big huge +++++!!!!!

i had a match collection that i recently gave to a young collector. they didn't interest me any longer and he was thrilled to get them. some were over 50 years old as i got some of them from my dad.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-26-2017, 03:14 PM

I played electric bass for 14 years in my church. It was a near orchestra size ensemble with everything from marimbas to horns and string section. We played contemporary Christian music and we had a music leader with a degree in music who wrote our charts for us. There was a teenage boy the last few years I played who took every opportunity to let me know the progress he was making learning bass. He always came to Wed rehearsals to watch and would hang around on stage talking to me. I had a surgery coming up that was going to sideline me for a few weeks and asked him if he could fill in for me. I set up a meeting with the conductor to talk to him. The conductor/worship leader is a good friend of mine. I couldn't be there for the boy's first Sunday playing but the leader called me and said he did a very passable job. I asked him if he thought he could handle the role full time as I was more interested in playing 6 string guitar again. Since we already had a studio quality guitarist I knew this meant I would be retiring from the band. He said yes and I told him I wanted to tell the boy myself. I'll never forget how his eyes lit up when I told him he was the new bassist. He said his music teacher wanted to come and see him play as well. I got tired of explaining to congregation members why I wasn't up there anymore but thoroughly enjoyed seeing the young guy in my place.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:26 PM

I trust your gift of giving moved a tear or two.
It did over here.

Continuing the heritage is a responsibility and privilege.

There is a story/poem titled.."The Bridge Builder"
author Will Allen Dromgoole.
I'll send you a copy if you like.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:27 PM

Beautiful!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:32 PM

Nice move, Mark!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:36 PM

Mark, that is such an inspiring story. You have taught that young man much more than how to play guitar.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Wow, that's awesome. I could tell from
Your posts that you really loved that guitar. I've had an older mentor gift me two really nice electric guitars that I don't deserve, but it meant the world to me. I can't imagine how much enjoyment you gave that younsgter. I hope to return the favor and do the same one day. What a selfless thing to do!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion