The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Default FOLLOW UP - Martin GPC-18E Aura VT Enhance

Today, I received my new Martin GPC-18E with Aura VT Enhance. Both the guitar model and the Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system are new for 2016, and I haven't seen many of this model and the other new Standard Series models showing up much yet. The Martin GPC-18E, being a Standard Series model, features a regular Martin dovetail neck-joint. This model also features forward-shifted/scalloped X bracing, ebony fingerboard and bridge, open-gear tuners, and Modified Low Oval neck with Performing Artist Taper. You could think of this guitar as the "modern guitar" sibling of the newer Martin D-18 Standard Series model. The Martin GPC-18E is similar in concept to the Taylor 514ce ES2, and it and other Martin Grand Performance Cutaway models were likely developed to compete with Taylor's Grand Auditorium models. The Aura VT Enhance, which is a dual-source pickup/preamp design, consists of a Matrix UST feeding a single Aura Image which can be variably mixed with the output of the Enhance SBT pickup.

I've only played the Martin GPC-18E for a few minutes and can say it has good sustain and balance along with a pleasing resonance that definitely shouts Spruce/Mahogany! I've played a new Standard Series Martin OMC-18E in a local store, both acoustically and plugged-in, and acoustically I'd say the GPC-18E sounds a bit more balanced and a bit fuller than the Orchestra model. The plugged-in tone of the OMC-18E was okay. *I've yet to plug-in my GPC-18E to test its Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system. I'll report back here with my further impressions of the Martin GPC-18E and its Aura VT Enhance system, and although it's a Spruce/Rosewood guitar, a comparison with my Taylor 814ce ES2.

*I've now plugged-in the Martin GPC-18E and have commented on it in below posts. More to come.

Martin GPC-18E Specifications at Martin Guitars Website (click the circled i on page for specs):
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...odels/gpc-18e/

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-22-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Congrats!
Very good looking guitar!
The GP series will continue to surpass expectations.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I like the guitar but I'm having to play with the Aura VT Enhance system to get a tone I like; I know it's in there and I'll find it!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-21-2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:38 PM

BIG Congrats Sprucetop. Very nice mate. I'm considering purchasing one myself but the OMC model. Hope you work out the Aura VT Enhance. Enjoy!
Old 09-21-2016, 07:17 PM

Congrats SpruceTop! I'd love to play one of those GP models in spruce and mahogany. A bud has an GP in rosewood with the Aura system, and it's a great guitar! I hope you enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2016, 07:36 PM

Beautiful guitar. You're making me want a mahogany guitar. My brother got a new Martin with that body shape and he absolutely loves it! Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2016, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
BIG Congrats Sprucetop. Very nice mate. I'm considering purchasing one myself but the OMC model. Hope you work out the Aura VT Enhance. Enjoy!
The Martin OMC-18E packs a lot of punch and tone for a smaller guitar and it's super comfortable to play and hold. For me, it was a debate over ordering the GPC-18E online or getting the OMC-18E from my local dealer. The GPC-18E won out because I got an incredible deal on it. It took me two guitars from the dealer to get the keeper I now have but that's another story.

I'm getting the Martin GPC-18E's Aura VT Enhance sorted out but will install a new, fitted by me, Tusq saddle to replace the one factory-installed at Martin Guitars. That one was sanded too thin and tilts forward too much in the saddle slot for what I believe isn't enough full contact with the Matrix UST and, in turn, its contact with the bottom of the bridge-saddle slot. The saddle thickness (front-to-back) for a UST should be fitted to the bridge-saddle slot with just enough clearance so it can slide back and forth along the slot but still be tight enough not to tilt forward or backward. I have the time to properly fit a saddle to the saddle slot but Martin technicians are likely time-constrained and, thus, can't always dedicate their skill to the task at hand.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-23-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Martin OMC-18E packs a lot of punch and tone for a smaller guitar and it's super comfortable to play and hold. For me, it was a debate over ordering the GPC-18E online or getting the OMC-18E from my local dealer. The GPC-18E won out because I got an incredible deal on it. It took me two guitars from the dealer to get the keeper I now have but that's another story.

I'm getting the Martin GPC-18E's Aura VT Enhance sorted out but will install a new, fitted by me, Tusq saddle to replace the one factory-installed at Martin Guitars. That one was sanded too thin and tilts forward too much in the saddle slot for what I believe isn't enough full contact with the Matrix UST and, in turn, its contact with the bottom of the bridge-saddle slot. The saddle thickness (front-to-back) for a UST should be fitted to the bridge-saddle slot with just enough clearance so it can slide back and forth along the slot but still be tight enough not to tilt forward or backward. I have the time to properly fit a saddle to the saddle slot but Martin technicians are likely time-constrained and, thus, can't always dedicate their skill to the task at hand.
Congrats on a great guitar! I really like the new E's and the VT Enhance.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 09-23-2016, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Very nice guitar. Congratulations SpruceTop.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 AM

Sweet looking guitar. Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Was the Martin GPC-18E, and other new Standard Series E cutaway models, stillborn? I see little interest on the forum regarding these guitars or of folks posting that they've acquired one. I'm curious as to why this seems the case. The Standard Series E models have been available for about a year and their newness may account for their lack of presence on AGF. Could it also be these new Standard Series E cutaway models, featuring the new Aura VT Enhance pickup/preamp system, are somehow perceived as antithetical to Martin tradition and cachet? I can understand how some folks, including myself, may look a bit askance at the cutaway dreadnoughts in the new E models but to me, at least, the OMC-18E and GPC-18E, and their 28E and 35E models, sound wonderful, look gorgeous, and are comfortable to play and hold. Also, the new Aura VT Enhance seems pretty good the more I play with it. Any comments, positive or negative, on the GPC-18E, and other Standard Series E models, are welcome. Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-24-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Was the Martin GPC-18E, and other new Standard Series E cutaway models, stillborn? I see little interest on the forum regarding these guitars or of folks posting that they've acquired one.
Martin is not exactly known for acoustic electrics, and certainly not for guitars using the Taylor GA shape, which is probably why there is not a lot of enthusiasm on the forums for the Martin GP models. Many here are probably thinking they can get the "real thing", in this case, a Taylor 514ce, priced at $2499 MAP, instead of paying $3059 MAP for the Martin GPC-18E. Course popularity on forums isn't everything. While the Martin Performing Artist models get little love on forums, they are actually a good seller for Martin. Will this new "standard" version be even better? Only time will tell, but I do like that they incorporated the GP model in to the standard line. Could a GP-42 be far off?
Old 09-24-2016, 02:52 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about how others think or their preferences. Most important thing is, you like the cutaway and Martin and how it plays and sound. You have a nice git, that is all that matters most and so do I. I like the look of Martin to other cutaways and I always have to have a cutaway in my stable whether I like it or not. You enjoy now mate.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about how others think or their preferences. Most important thing is, you like the cutaway and Martin and how it plays and sound. You have a nice git, that is all that matters most and so do I. I like the look of Martin to other cutaways and I always have to have a cutaway in my stable whether I like it or not. You enjoy now mate.
I agree.

Not everyone believes that a 1964 Martin D-28 or other standard dreadnought is the only guitar one needs to be accepted as a "true" guitarist.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Martin is not exactly known for acoustic electrics, and certainly not for guitars using the Taylor GA shape, which is probably why there is not a lot of enthusiasm on the forums for the Martin GP models. Many here are probably thinking they can get the "real thing", in this case, a Taylor 514ce, priced at $2499 MAP, instead of paying $3059 MAP for the Martin GPC-18E. Course popularity on forums isn't everything. While the Martin Performing Artist models get little love on forums, they are actually a good seller for Martin. Will this new "standard" version be even better? Only time will tell, but I do like that they incorporated the GP model in to the standard line. Could a GP-42 be far off?
Spoiler alert. The standard series dovetail Martin is the real thing.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion