The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2015, 12:54 PM

Default Straight Up Strings

Seeing as there are at about a half dozen Santa Cruz Strings we should also discuss Straight Uo Strings(SUS) which very well could be the same exact strings.

I ordered a set of 3 medium tension as the website says they are probably closer to typical 12's and put the first set on my SC VJ. They replaced a set of Elixir 12's. I've maybe put 15 minutes of play time on them and I can already tell the difference from the 162 lbs of tension vs. the 146.5 lbs with the SUS strings are much easier to bend and the neck no longer has a certain "tight" feeling to it. Tone is much sweeter and yes...balanced. It would be nice if there were a little more coating on the strings but, overall I like them and will be putting them on my 00 next. Will update after a few days and once they are on the 00.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:55 PM

I've got light sets for both the SUS and SCGC strings. Going to compare one string change to the next. I strongly suspect they are the same strings. I think the only difference is the way they name the tensions. I think SUS medium is SCGC light, SUS heavy is SCGC medium, and there is no comp for SUS light.

As I really like the SCGC strings, I'm hoping the cheaper SUS version is the same thing.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucedup View Post
I've got light sets for both the SUS and SCGC strings. Going to compare one string change to the next. I strongly suspect they are the same strings. I think the only difference is the way they name the tensions. I think SUS medium is SCGC light, SUS heavy is SCGC medium, and there is no comp for SUS light.

As I really like the SCGC strings, I'm hoping the cheaper SUS version is the same thing.
Looking forward to your observations!
Old 10-31-2015, 05:56 PM

With quite a few more hours on them I can say, these are my new strings. The SC sounds big and sweet in all the right places. Can't wait to hear them on my braz 00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for your interest in both Straight Up Strings and Santa Cruz Strings. I don't think it's a secret that I'm the designer behind both products so I thought I'd add my 2 cents here. As a result of work I've done on strings for more than four decades, both sets of strings were the result of a lot of testing and evaluation along a similar path and thought process. While the two brands use similar types of core and wrap wire, the string sets are not the same - a few gauges may coincidentally be the same - but comparing the sets, they are not the same. Bear in mind that there are many ways to prepare a wound string, and while one string may be labeled .054", the core and wrap wire can be made up differently to provide a seemingly similar .054" string that delivers a different tension at the same pitch. Straight Up Strings were engineered based on torque (twisting load) at the bridge whereas Santa Cruz strings are predicated on tensions.* Lastly, Straight Up Strings are gauged in three grades (light, medium, heavy); Santa Cruz are available as light and medium.

These are both very well-conceived string sets, made to strict tolerances, and both represent a paradigm shift in guitar string development. At the end of the day, much of how well you like either of these string sets depends on your attack and playing style, the conditions you hear them in, and the guitar you string up with them. So, of course, the final analysis is up to you. In either case, thanks for trying both.
Roger

* While the torque load at the bridge is the result of the strings' tensions, torque changes with the height of the saddle; the taller the saddle, the greater the torque. And, since most bridges are set with higher action for the lower strings, for Straight Up Strings, we felt that the torque load was the critical things to consider.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siminoff View Post
Thanks to all for your interest in both Straight Up Strings and Santa Cruz Strings. I don't think it's a secret that I'm the designer behind both products so I thought I'd add my 2 cents here. As a result of work I've done on strings for more than four decades, both sets of strings were the result of a lot of testing and evaluation along a similar path and thought process. While the two brands use similar types of core and wrap wire, the string sets are not the same - a few gauges may coincidentally be the same - but comparing the sets, they are not the same. Bear in mind that there are many ways to prepare a wound string, and while one string may be labeled .054", the core and wrap wire can be made up differently to provide a seemingly similar .054" string that delivers a different tension at the same pitch. Straight Up Strings were engineered based on torque (twisting load) at the bridge whereas Santa Cruz strings are predicated on tensions.* Lastly, Straight Up Strings are gauged in three grades (light, medium, heavy); Santa Cruz are available as light and medium.

These are both very well-conceived string sets, made to strict tolerances, and both represent a paradigm shift in guitar string development. At the end of the day, much of how well you like either of these string sets depends on your attack and playing style, the conditions you hear them in, and the guitar you string up with them. So, of course, the final analysis is up to you. In either case, thanks for trying both.
Roger

* While the torque load at the bridge is the result of the strings' tensions, torque changes with the height of the saddle; the taller the saddle, the greater the torque. And, since most bridges are set with higher action for the lower strings, for Straight Up Strings, we felt that the torque load was the critical things to consider.
Thanks Roger for stopping by and clarifying. That helps quite a bit in distinguishing the two different brands. They are marketed very similarly (emphasis on the core to wrap ratios), so it's very tough to tell the difference. The emphasis on the torque load at the bridge is an interesting concept. I'll be interested to experience it on the next string change.

One more question while we've got your attention. To your knowledge, is the light coating on the Straight Up Strings similar to the SCGC set? The descriptions on both are remarkably similar. I only ask as the SCGC sets I've used have lasted a very long time while maintaining their tone.

Thanks again! We really appreciate you stopping by to explain these things. Especially with regards to such a divisive topic around these parts (guitar strings).
Old 11-03-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all for your interest in both Straight Up Strings and Santa Cruz Strings. I don't think it's a secret that I'm the designer behind both products so I thought I'd add my 2 cents here.
Roger

Hi Roger - so glad to see you here on AGF!. Your insights are welcomed as many folks are confused by the myriad of variables: gauge, wraps/cores, tension, torque, etc. Your concept of a "set of strings" makes incredible sense and on my instruments (and in my hands) has worked extremely well.

Once again - welcome to AGF!

best,

Rick
Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 AM

BTW - for anyone confused about the concept behind Straight up Strings and the SCGC parabolic strings, Roger has a short video on the Straight up website that you should check out. He clears up the confusion of gauge vs. tension; he also addresses the issue with torque which often is confused with tension.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm happy to participate in this site; looks like there's a lot of great information and dialog here!

Yes, the marketing approach of these two string sets is similar, but that's because the technology and positioning is similar.

I'm glad to share details and specs on our strings, but as you may have gleaned from my previous response, I'm walking a thin line between what I can openly discuss about SCGC strings vs what falls under my confidentiality agreement with SCGC.

Since around 1970 or so, the string industry has been dipping wound strings in a coating bath (the most popular is a product called Cobratec) for the purpose of keeping the strings visually bright and preventing the brass or bronze wrap wires from tarnishing. This is especially important for strings on new guitars that might hang in a shop for several months. Tarnish protection is also the job of the plastic envelopes that the strings are packaged in. The coating also has the advantage of soaking under the wrap wire and filling any voids (not that there's a lot of space there), but it does help a little to prevent unwanted buzzes. And, the coating also adds to the smooth feel of the strings by filling the microscopic abrasions on the surface of the wrap wire from being drawn around the core wire. Lastly, the coating is very thin, so the solids that are left behind when the coating dries has a virtually insignificant affect on the mass of the string (i.e., a non-coated and coated string will have virtually the same tension when at pitch). This is similar to the type of coating we use.

The topic of strings is certainly as "divisive" as it is elusive, but the physics, acoustics, and technology of musical strings is a very exciting topic - well, at least to me it is.

Roger
Old 11-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

First, let me add my welcome to Roger. I really appreciate you jumping in and addressing our questions while honoring your agreement with Santa Cruz. I am liking the Santa Cruz strings very much and will order a few sets of the Straight Up Strings to test as well. There is something definitely unique about the sound and feel of these strings and I really like them so far.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
The topic of strings is certainly as "divisive" as it is elusive, but the physics, acoustics, and technology of musical strings is a very exciting topic - well, at least to me it is.

Roger
Well then, you are in good company
Old 11-03-2015, 11:33 AM

Roger,

Glad to see you join the conversation. Out of curiosity where are the strings manufactured? Not that it matters but I couldn't find the information anywhere. I love the strings and will continue to use them. Like I said earlier the only thing I would do is have a touch more coating on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-03-2015, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Yoni - thanks. The Straight Up Strings are proudly made in the USA. And thanks for the input about more coating.
Roger
Old 11-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

How well do these strings handle altered tunings?
Old 11-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

SimplyLuo…
Thanks for this question - it's an important one. The good news is that yes, our strings will "work" for altered tunings (i.e., open D and G tunings, etc.), but the bad news is that they won't work as well as a fully compensated set will for that specific tuning. Here's what happens: we've gone through great efforts to balance the torque loads across the string set(s) for a conventional EBGDAE tuning. When you retune to an altered tuning, and either raise or lower the pitch of a string or strings, the change in pitch changes that string's tension(s) which upsets the apple cart and throws the set's compensated torque loads out the window. For optimum string-to-string balance, sustain, and feel, the only real solution is to change those strings you are re-tuning, to gauges that properly compensate the torque load of the set for that tuning. Unfortunately, that's a very ugly and clumsy solution.
Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion