The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Danny Boy

Anyone got a good transcription? I've got a copy of the one Mark Hanson has on his web site, but can't get it to sound too sweet. I know LJ did a great version of it.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:33 PM

Steve Eckels did an arrangement (simple but pretty) in Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine (one of the 1997 or 1998 issues I think....I used to get it then...)....not sure if that back issue is available...could check their website...it's in Drop-D tuning...(99% sure about that...)

if not, you could go to his website (steve Eckels) www.guitarmusicman.com and request it probably....

what's up with the one at Mark Hanson's site?
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 01-26-2004, 12:55 PM

El McMeen has a nice transcription of Danny Boy that is part of the 'Ramble to Cashel' set that is published by Stephan Grossman's Guitar Workshop.

go to:

http://guitarvideos.com/dvd/pdf.htm

and get the .pdf for 'Ramble to Cashel'. Danny Boy is near the end. It is in the tuning that Mr. McMeen uses, which is CGDGAD.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees

what's up with the one at Mark Hanson's site?
Can't put my finger on it yet - just seems a little forced or something. Of course, part of the problem is the fact that I've just begun to look at it. Sometimes I'll pick up a new piece to start on and can immediately see the possibilities (despite my fingers fumbling all about). This one just doesn't have "that feel". I'll stick with it for a bit, but I'm not terribly encouraged with it yet. Now to hear LJ play it though - that's what I mean by sweet.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by architectx

Can't put my finger on it yet - just seems a little forced or something. Of course, part of the problem is the fact that I've just begun to look at it. Sometimes I'll pick up a new piece to start on and can immediately see the possibilities (despite my fingers fumbling all about). This one just doesn't have "that feel". I'll stick with it for a bit, but I'm not terribly encouraged with it yet. Now to hear LJ play it though - that's what I mean by sweet.
I feel ya on this.....I've had MH's version sitting on my music stand for months, and while I've got most of it down, I just can't seem to make it sound right.....forced is a good word for it. If I could get it to flow better, it would prolly sound great.

I think it would help to *hear* his version to pick up the minutae. I'm doing much better with his Solo Fingerstyle Guitar DVD, where you can play along with him (he's brilliant!)

I put it down to a lack of dexterity on my behalf..... but what do I know?
Old 01-26-2004, 04:17 PM

Thumbs up

I do have a transcription (currently in .doc format) of Danny Boy as arranged by Laurence Juber. Great sounding, and it aint too difficult either...too difficult...

Email me if intrested!

-TheFool
Old 01-26-2004, 09:33 PM

If these are anything like what you want let me know, I make a PDF out of it.

Danny Boy - TablEdit Tab

Danny Boy #2 - Guitar Pro Tab
Old 01-26-2004, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

The Ramble to Cashel CD is an amazing collection. Recommended.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:39 AM

a Little Miss Tree brought me the copy...

it's the Jan/Feb 1998 (vol. no. 25) issue of Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine...

it is drop-D...

very simple, very pretty...how pretty and musical you can make simple moves sound will largely determine how well you play....when you mean to let a melody note ring...let it ring....when you mean to emphasize a note...emphasize it....when you mean to bring out a moving bass...bring it out...when you mean to let a bass note ring out over moving intervals...let it ring...when you mean to use a particular finger so as to not let a string fall silent from measure to measure...use it....

I don't have the CD...that seems to be off in the abyss... (Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine comes w/CD's)....I'd love to hear him play this...he plays extremely well...

lots of intervals of thirds and sixths...and then he does what I've seen him do in other tunes...he contrasts those with intervals of 4th and 5ths..very different....

milk the moves....don't just do the TAB...find the 'moves' in other places of the fretboard and then in other keys.....edit edit edit...and also try to take moves involving open strings into note for note movable moves.....end of edit

he does out

I-Imaj7-I7-IV

and vi-IVmin/3rd in bass- I/5th in bass...

milk, milk, milk

Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 01-27-2004, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Hey Plex - I downloaded the midi files & threw them into Sibelius. For whatever reason, when I bring them in, Sibelius seems to think it was written for pedal steel. Now that would be interesting and all, but I seem to have misplaced my pedal steel. What tuning you in? A PDF might be great.

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:29 AM

Chet Atkins did a very intriguing version/arrangment of "Londonderryaire/Danny Boy" in the key of "B." He modulates to C later in the song. But it is a different approach than I have ever heard. Don't know where transcriptions might be available. I saw him do it on a video that I have.

Thanks,
Old 01-27-2004, 07:30 AM

for the I-Imaj7-I7-IV there's a

D

to

Dmaj7

to

D7

to

G

'outlined'....

how many ways can you play that around the neck...? (know thy triads!)

the other key move is a

vi is Bm

IVmin/3rd is Gmin/Bb

then D/A

basic moves....how many ways can you find them...?

put a basic rhythm on them....execute them...and build up your knowledge and skill...

don't become a TAB-a-holic...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhudson
Don't know where transcriptions might be available.
Thanks,
Maybe check with John Knowles? (John Knowles Fingerstyle Quarterly)...he often does Chet tunes in his quarterly...

sssssssssmmmmmmmmmoooooootttttttttthhhhhhhh.....
Old 01-27-2004, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by architectx
Hey Plex - I downloaded the midi files & threw them into Sibelius. For whatever reason, when I bring them in, Sibelius seems to think it was written for pedal steel. Now that would be interesting and all, but I seem to have misplaced my pedal steel. What tuning you in? A PDF might be great.

Thanks.
Sibelius does that to me ALL the time!!! Must be a C&W leaning it has.

Both are Standard tuning. Just try listening with Winblows Media Player or other midi player.

I like the first one, lots of expression. The second has less "Fingerstyle" and more single note runs.

If you can just listen and let me know - If not, I'll PDF them both tonight when I get home.

PS - 1st version is in a Tabledit file, second a GuitarPro file, if you have either.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaJugglingFool
I do have a transcription (currently in .doc format) of Danny Boy as arranged by Laurence Juber. Great sounding, and it aint too difficult either...too difficult...

Email me if intrested!

-TheFool
Got it, and just gave it a dry run during lunch. This is the ticket! It's my first tune in DADGAD, so I've got a bit of learning to do, but I can see the possibilities already. Thanks so much!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell