The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-10-2015, 08:21 AM

Default TAMCO Memphis report part 2: The TAMCO luthiers.

Here’s few long serving TAMCO luthiers, no particular order, my apologies if I missed anyone.

First honours go to Mike Baranik. He is responsible for TAMCO, blame him! I met Mike at a NAMM show in 2003. He was my first sole luthier and I haven’t looked back since. I’ve lost count of the amazing guitars I’ve had from Mike, he is due to start on a Meridian build for me soon.

Next the former Somogyi crowd.

I’ve been working with Michi Matasuda for a long time now. Michi is unique with his incredible eye for design, many of the rosette and cutaway innovations that proliferate today were ‘inspired’ by Michi. I have a mini on order with the Schafer headstock.

Ray Kraut had his new OO model on display. All that Kraut tone in a small package, wonderful. My next build with Ray is coming up soon… what to order??? This decision making can be a *****.. poor me!

It was great to meet Leo Buendai again. I posted some photos of his first build for TAMCO a while ago. I can’t wait top get my hands on it.

Tom Doer had this stunning Legacy model on display. I’m not normally fond of darker tops but I loved this one so much my next order will be very similar.

I was delighted to meet Simon Fay for the first time. One of my regular customers says the only time he has regretted doing a trade is was with Simon’s guitar. I agree with him, if he still had it I would get to see it once in a while.

Bill Tippin was up to his usual form and had some stunning guitars on display. My next from Bill is due in the next few weeks.

It was great to see Michael Bashkin again, his designs are subtle and incredibly beautiful.

It was also great to catch up with Harvey Leach, Sheldon Schwartz, Mike Kennedy of Indian Hill guitars (sorry for the terrible photo Mike) and Bevan Frost of Big Hollow guitars.

Ken Franklin makes some of the most beautiful rosettes I’ve seen and puts them on **** fine guitars.

And the lone mandolin maker and builder of a superlative guitar bodied octave mandolin Austin Clark.

Then I met this strange fellow. He tells me that after to many visits to the US to count since 1972 he had never tried a corm dog! And may not ever again!

Last edited by Trevor M; 06-10-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:07 AM

My apologies to Dennis Kwasnycia. I met him for the first time, you couldn't meet a nicer guy and his attention to his customers needs was truly remarkable.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Humanist

Excellent.

FYI & BTW, it's the first time anyone has managed to capture a photo of Simon Fay in the wild...!!!

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 AM

I don't know whether to blame the corn dog or the jet lag. Maybe its just the increase in 'senior moments' how could I forget my old friend Steve Kinnaird!

Steve had a stellar display of guitars at the show. I was very taken with the oak parlour so I have ordered a 'plane Jane' version.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:34 PM

Thank you for posting these pictures Trevor… some small compensation for not being able to go in person!

Seeing all these luthiers together just serves as a reminder of the amazing talent that is out there.

And that corn dog looks horrible.

Jon
Old 06-12-2015, 07:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) UK View Post
I don't know whether to blame the corn dog or the jet lag. Maybe its just the increase in 'senior moments' how could I forget my old friend Steve Kinnaird!
Probably was the corn dog. We laughed about this in the shop yesterday, and decided to do an inlay of a half-eaten corn dog on the oak parlor guitar.
We'll add mustard.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-12-2015, 07:38 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Steve, I actually ATE one of those stupid things because when I got there to eat after a workshop, it was about all they had left. I'm sure I looked just like the brother in the picture when I was eating it, and I'm pretty certain a big part of that is still in my digestive system as I'm not sure my body knows what to do with it lol.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Mike, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually like those things.
At county fairs.
A little surprised to see them at the Hilton! But also surprised to see barbecued nachos. Kudos to Trevor for trying one. "When in Rome..." and all that.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Hey, Trevor, many, many thanks for the pictures and tales of mischief and woe!! Glad to see you've decided to add to your roster of solo luthiers with all that amazing talent. Very exciting, indeed!

I'm in the camp that envies your having been to Memphis not just for the geetars but for the corndogs, too. And maybe a root beer float (or two!) to wash it all down. Ah, the flavors of childhood!!

As always, absence makes the heartburn fonder...
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 06-13-2015, 01:57 AM

Half eaten corn dog inlay? You could probably squash one and stick it on, I don't think there was anything natural in it that could rot!

On the plus side I tried cat fish for the first time. I hadn't expected much but it was delicious.

Back to the guitar world. Here's a (poor) photo of JR.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop