The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2015, 04:04 PM

Default I hate the F Chord...

How do I post a youtube video? The link doesn't seem to work.

I am going to practice this 1,000 x's until I get it. MAKES ME SO MAD!!!

http://youtu.be/S_SuQyyVxok

I learned Ukulele a year ago, my first instrument I've ever learned (@ 35yo) and I've always wanted to learn guitar so about a month and a half ago I picked up a small classical. I've had 3 lessons so far. Learning chords on the guitar is SO MUCH HARDER then the ukulele. GAHHHH!!! its frustrating when you have a song and you can transition 3 or 4 chords with no problem but one just trips you up so hard! I've googled my heart out and can find no other way to get that F to be easier then to just keep playing it. AGAin.. and again... and again.... AND AGAIN!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:06 PM

I bet it took me 3-4 years to get to playing it comfortably and consistently. There's a reason it starts with F!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-02-2015, 04:06 PM

3 lessons in to playing an instrument, even one peripherally related to one you know how to play, is not a lot of time. Patience and practice are the keys.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I bet it took me 3-4 years to get to playing it comfortably and consistently. There's a reason it starts with F!
haha I love that!! Heck yah, Now when I think "f chord" in my head it will have new meaning

3 years.. wow okay I guess its true what they say about needing to do something for 10 years to really be good at it. I am prepared for that commitment!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:11 PM

Take a deep breath
Now slowly play C-C-F-F

After you get that...play F-F-G-G.

Take your time ....get it right.
Fifteen minutes at a time. Then set the guitar down and walk away from it for a few minutes.

I'm assuming you already had the guitar set up. So, just relax.
One chord at a time. You'll get it.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM

It's a little hard to see the exact fingering you're trying to use at that angle and backwards...

But perhaps start with an easier F chord. There's at least 2 that work in place of a normal F in a lot of songs. Fmaj7 and Fmaj7/C.

There's a good number of fingerings for Fmaj7, but I'm thinking of the easy one.

Looks like this:

Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaDave View Post
It's a little hard to see the exact fingering you're trying to use at that angle and backwards...

But perhaps start with an easier F chord. There's at least 2 that work in place of a normal F in a lot of songs. Fmaj7 and Fmaj7/C.

There's a good number of fingerings for Fmaj7, but I'm thinking of the easy one.

Looks like this:

This is the answer I was going to provide. Leave off the high F on the high E string until you can successfully hold it down.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:15 PM

You're not really doing badly. You've only had 3 lessons on this instrument, after all. F has several ways it can be played, you know what it's supposed to look/sound like, and you corrected yourself each time you messed it up. Keep up the good work!
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 02-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpaDave View Post

Looks like this:

I am doing the easier one in which you bar just two strings and you don't strike the two thick strings. It's a little different from what you posted above. So you only strum on 4 strings and I am doing something with all 4 strings. Which I believe is the "easier" version. I have tiny hands. I am 5'2. I will try the one above though it certainly removed the little barred bit! Thank you I don't actually think there is a huge sound difference in that F in the chord progression of the song. I was testing it a bit and felt it didn't sound very different but it may just be because I am doing it wrong
Old 02-02-2015, 04:17 PM

I agree that it's frustrating to master the F chord when you first start playing, but honestly, the F is one of the the lynch-pins to becoming a good player.

It's worth all the time and effort it takes to make playing it instinctive and second nature.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 02-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Second thought. The classical guitar neck is very wide. Makes playing the F chord with smaller hands very difficult. Consider doing some stretching exercises. Also consider a guitar with a neck that fits your hand size.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:18 PM

the one he shows is even easier, and should sound fine in that progression.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 02-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

In your case I think you would do better with a full barre chord (won't have to shift your hand around as much). Also, slow down the tempo a bit.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-02-2015, 04:19 PM

Personally, I don't think it should be used in mixed company.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelegend2 View Post
I am doing the easier one in which you bar just two strings and you don't strike the two thick strings. It's a little different from what you posted above. So you only strum on 4 strings and I am doing something with all 4 strings. Which I believe is the "easier" version. I have tiny hands. I am 5'2. I will try the one above though it certainly removed the little barred bit!
You are holding the guitar with your thumb sticking up from the top of the fretboard, then switching it down into a barre position, then back, every time you play that chord. I've been playing a year, and can't usually do that sort of hand position change fast enough.

To get that change faster, either stop barring it and do the chord as I suggested above, or keep your thumb where it is for the barre when making the other chords too, for the entire song.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion