The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-05-2014, 11:29 PM

Default New Lr Baggs product?

I just noticed that Lr Baggs posted a new video on their Facebook page with the title, "New for 2015!" In it, guitarist Justin Weaver is playing what appears to be a Martin and says that everyone is going to love this "box" and that it's a must for every player. I am just wondering if anyone has seen this video and what you think the product is? I was hoping for a new pickup system but the "box" description confuses me. However, I thought that Justin used the M80 but in the video he is plugged in without it. It definitely has me curious!!!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:43 AM

I saw it too. What teases those Baggs folks are. The reference to "box" might mean an amp, I suppose.

In any event, I expect that the big secret will be revealed by the Winter NAMM show.

They also posted a video of Doyle Dykes. Since Doyle uses the Rich Barbera Soloist pickup in his signature Guild guitars, it makes me wonder if the Baggs folks have worked out some kind of deal with Rich Barbera. I've been wondering if the Barbera technology could somehow be adapted to an in-saddle pickup which is adjustable in size.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I saw it too. What teases those Baggs folks are. The reference to "box" might mean an amp, I suppose.

In any event, I expect that the big secret will be revealed by the Winter NAMM show.

They also posted a video of Doyle Dykes. Since Doyle uses the Rich Barbera Soloist pickup in his signature Guild guitars, it makes me wonder if the Baggs folks have worked out some kind of deal with Rich Barbera. I've been wondering if the Barbera technology could somehow be adapted to an in-saddle pickup which is adjustable in size.
I don't think Doyle uses the Rich Barbera (he might in one of his guitars). I was just on the Lr Baggs Instagram page and two weeks ago they posted a video of Doyle playing with what appears to be his main guitar. In the comments below someone asked what pickup system Doyle uses and Lr Baggs replied that his main guitar has the LB6 in it.

I too think the new product is an amp. I don't think they would release another preamp/DI since the Venue seems to have everything a player would need. NAMM is always a very exciting time though!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:15 PM

According to the Barbera website, "Soloist pickups are on all of the new Guild Doyle Dykes signature series guitars".

That's also mentioned on the Guild website in the description of this signature model:
http://guildguitars.com/g/doyle-dykes-signature-nylon/

Its interesting to note that they're using an LR Baggs onboard preamp with the Soloist pickup. Its a sure bet that the Baggs folks have taken a close look at (and listen to) the Soloist, if nothing else.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 PM

I have a new 12-string that is just about ready to be shipped and am getting the same pickup that the Doyle Dykes signature Guild 12-string uses. I'm hoping that it will work as well with my Mama Bear modeling preamp as my old Ovation did (best plugged in sound I ever got).
Old 12-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Hi Brian,

I have a suspicion that the Barbera pickup will work especially well with Mama Bear. Its dry, string-oriented tone should make a good platform for Mama Bear. (I'd try the neutral input setting first.) Beyond that, the Barbera Soloist doesn't quack, so if you use a typical 40% blend, you won't still have 60% quacky UST sound in your output signal.

Please let us now how the combo works out.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:05 PM

Just an update to this thread.. I noticed on the Lr Baggs instagram page that they posted two pics of the new product. It appears to be a single foot switch pedal that looks like a smaller venue. However, in the comments section, Lr Baggs posted that this product is completely new territory for them and is not a smaller Venue. I am definitely intrigued.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 PM

They're milking it.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-05-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
They're milking it.
All manufacturers do this to some extent. It could end up being an effects pedal with reverb, delay etc. However, Lr Baggs is one company that tends to deliver something unique when they announce a new product. It could end up being something simple but I am not prepared to write them off as simply "milking it", especially with the pickups that they have released in recent years.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 AM

I didn't say it was a bad thing.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Well it's called the "Session DI', which is supposed to give you studio quality sound for live gigging. Apparently the saturation control will give a deeper tone to pickups and Lr Baggs claims that it will be like having your own personal engineer. They did not post any demoes to show how it impacts pickups but it seems interesting enough.

The cons that I can see so far; it lacks eq controls and I hate how the XLR out is on the top. My excitement has definitely dropped a bit but it will be neat to hear how it improves pickup systems.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:49 PM

Here's a video of the LR Baggs Session DI and it's origin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ufbxx_7-o#t=12
Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the vid. I've certainly never heard a direct-from-M1 recording sound that good before.

It may be great live, but I'm already wondering how it would work for basement recording.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:04 PM

Certainly sounds good in that video...
Old 01-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the vid. I've certainly never heard a direct-from-M1 recording sound that good before.

It may be great live, but I'm already wondering how it would work for basement recording.
I was thinking that as well. However, most of the videos within the YouTube clip are from earlier Lr Baggs demoes before this unit was ever made. I think they were just trying to demonstrate the studio quality that they get from having an engineer mix their pickups for demoes. I am not really sure if anywhere in that video, you could actually hear the new unit being used.

It just seems odd to me that they would not include Eq and I don't understand the XLR out at the top of the unit. If this unit really is all it's cracked up to be then I would most likely have to run my acoustic into a preamp with eq and then into the Session DI.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification